Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maxstar 150s feedback....

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Maxstar 150s feedback....

    I just picked up a used Maxstar 150s for $400 the other day....... I wired up my 220v cord and burned about 6 6011 1/8" rods.......all I can say is WOW......this has the easiest arc start I have ever seen........I started out @90 amps.......ran the 6011's just fine.....so I decided to turn her up a little...120 amps......she would burn um as fast as I could feed um......great little machine.....my only fear is that it may spoil me with the easy arc start .
    Mike

  • #2
    every one has always been real happy with the maxstarts, just think how much you are going to like the dynasty when you get there.

    Comment


    • #3
      Mike,

      If, or when you run some 1/8" 6010's I would be interested in the results. I could not keep one lit up with either my STL to the STH, but I could run 3/32" 6010's with no problem, of course it might have been just me as I am not the best SMAW welder in the world, closer to the wosrt I imagine. Did not have any problem with anything else in sizes 1/8" down.

      Comment


      • #4
        George,
        I'll see if Lowes has some in the morning....if so I'll pick up a box and run a few to see how they do. I'm no great SMAW'r myself.....I'll also pick up a few 7014's from a friend of mine next week and see how they do.......
        Mike

        Comment


        • #5
          Cool, thanks ...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Sundown View Post
            Mike,

            If, or when you run some 1/8" 6010's I would be interested in the results. I could not keep one lit up with either my STL to the STH, but I could run 3/32" 6010's with no problem, of course it might have been just me as I am not the best SMAW welder in the world, closer to the wosrt I imagine. Did not have any problem with anything else in sizes 1/8" down.


            hey im not the only one! my stl wont keep 1/8th lit unless you have a real tight arc gap, kind of a pain in the *** with any out of position

            and no its not me, any standard transformer or larger inverter machines dont give me this problem

            Comment


            • #7
              Well no 6010's,but I did pick up another 5lbs of 6011's 1/8 and a rod container ........I'll stop in at our welding shop at work and see if they have a few 6010's 1/8" that I can grab for some trial and error.......phaxtris is it all 1/8 rods you are having a hard time with?.........I had to really watch what I was doing with the 1/8 6011's on 110 volts....but on 220 no problems at all......the rods I was using were / are some elcheapos from Carquest .
              Mike

              Comment


              • #8
                6010 is the only 1/8th rod i burn on that machine, lincoln fleetweld 5p+, i havent tried 7018 1/8th, only 3/32, i dont feel the machine really has the power to burn 1/8 7018 very well

                when i have it on stick i only use 220, it blows the breaker to fast on 110

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 84ZMike View Post
                  I just picked up a used Maxstar 150s for $400 the other day....... I wired up my 220v cord and burned about 6 6011 1/8" rods.......all I can say is WOW......this has the easiest arc start I have ever seen........I started out @90 amps.......ran the 6011's just fine.....so I decided to turn her up a little...120 amps......she would burn um as fast as I could feed um......great little machine.....my only fear is that it may spoil me with the easy arc start .
                  Mike
                  know where i could pick up a maxstar 150s for 400? i would buy one today!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by juicy View Post
                    know where i could pick up a maxstar 150s for 400? i would buy one today!
                    Nope.....but I know where you could get one for $600

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I agree

                      Originally posted by 84ZMike View Post
                      I just picked up a used Maxstar 150s for $400 the other day....... I wired up my 220v cord and burned about 6 6011 1/8" rods.......all I can say is WOW......this has the easiest arc start I have ever seen........I started out @90 amps.......ran the 6011's just fine.....so I decided to turn her up a little...120 amps......she would burn um as fast as I could feed um......great little machine.....my only fear is that it may spoil me with the easy arc start .
                      Mike
                      Yeah i bought a maxstar 150 STH it works great. That hot start is a really good feature

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X
                      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.