Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camping Trailer Frame Build

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping Trailer Frame Build

Hi,

I was going to build my camping trailer on a tube frame but saw some people using angle on utility trailers in this forum. My question is: I want to put the angle iron with the flat side up in order to place a sheet of plywood on the top of the frame and not down in the frame. How would I attach the A frame tongue to the bottom edge on the angle? There would be no surface to weld to just an edge. Hope I am making sense. I am thinking I would have to go to at least channel iron.

angle frame

NightCap, When I build with the angle frame I put the full length and front and rear cross facing up. All of the center crosses go under the perimeter frame leaving the flats to attach the tongue to. Here are a few examples of my basic frame constuction. Hope this helps. Dave
    Attached Files

Comment

i supose you could notch the front pice so the tung would go threw it and atach to the drop down part of the sides and next suport maybee ??

Comment

angle frame

After thinking about this for a few minutes, I don't think the angle frame is a real good idea for the use. Angle is o.k. for an open sided utility trailer, but I think it would have too much flex with the camper set up you are intending to do. Channel would also create some flex as well but would be more suited to this application. Box tube would probably be the easiest to work with though and would be more rigid and stable when you are walking around inside of the camper.
        How big of a camper are you going to build?, what do you estimate the weight will be fully outfitted?, that also has alot to do with the construction materials as well. Dave

Comment

dabar39, Thanks for the reply.
          Yep, that is what I was afraid of. I will try to attach a photoshop image of what I am trying to do. I am worried about rain water getting between the frame and the wall and floor of my Camper. So I want to put the wall on the outside of the frame. This way water will not roll down the wall into the frame. I think I might have to use channel or tube for the outside perimeter of the trailer.
          Attached Files

Comment

you dont need to put the wall outsid the trailor just the outer sheeting be it steel or aluminum you just need to run it down past the frame to be ok.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
              you dont need to put the wall outsid the trailor just the outer sheeting be it steel or aluminum you just need to run it down past the frame to be ok.
              I think that would work if I went with the aluminum siding however I am using epoxy with a couple of coats of enamel paint on this project. One of these days I'll get the confidence to do aluminum.

Comment

building a camper

I just read your post for building a camper.you can set the camper itself right onto the frame.then use product called kemlight on the outside walls.it's a fiberglass paneling that is about 9 feet tall & cames what ever length you need.kemlight is used for inside walls of semi trailers.the stuff can take a pretty good beating.but it only comes in white & has a sptiled texture.you may find at a semi trailer shop like wabash or utility trailers.or you might even want to try alum, skin that is revited onto steel or alum, upright wall post.

Comment

Originally posted by emetech View Post
                  I just read your post for building a camper.you can set the camper itself right onto the frame.then use product called kemlight on the outside walls.it's a fiberglass paneling that is about 9 feet tall & cames what ever length you need.kemlight is used for inside walls of semi trailers.the stuff can take a pretty good beating.but it only comes in white & has a sptiled texture.you may find at a semi trailer shop like wabash or utility trailers.or you might even want to try alum, skin that is revited onto steel or alum, upright wall post.
                  Kemlight eh? I'll have to look into that. Thanks.

Comment

Here is a better link to the last camper I built. It is set into the frame.
                    http://nightcap.no-ip.com/tearbuild/cimg1173.jpg

Comment

are u makin this for personal use i asume? just wonderin. the last one u built looks to be pretty good qaulity.

Comment

Now I understand

A friend of mines father-in-law built one of these about 2 years ago. He bought the plans off the internet, and he modified them so that the camper would slide in and out of his utility trailer and the sides extended out past the top rails on the trailer, just like the slide in campers on the back of pick ups. I'll see if he can tell me what he used to construct his with, and how he did it. Maybe if I'm lucky I can get some pictures of it as well. This may give you some more ideas to work with. Dave

Comment

Thanks guys. I did make the first one for personal use. So far I have only used it for one weekend. It was fun. There were 50 other teardrop and other trailers there. I am making a TTT or Tiny Travel Trailer next. It will take some fancy welding on the frame. It will be 6'10" wide and 10 feet long. It will have a dropped floor in the kitchen and door area so the hight will only have to be 5'5" or so.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Disclaimer:
                            In case anyone was wondering... My trailer design is way out of scale regarding the steel and tires. I was just getting an idea of how to lay it out. Quick and Dirty.

Comment

Nice camper. Got any detail pictures of the construction?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.