No announcement yet.

first bbq pit / smoker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^^thanks randall for the insight. this is my first smoker so i'll have my hands full the first time out with it. BTW any ideas on a counter weight for the door??? Or does any have pics of a counter weighted smoker??? I'm not sure how much weight to put let alone if my door even needs a counter weight. please feel free to chime anyone.... thx

Comment

Here is a pic of my counter weight.
      I put a piece of Channel notched out on top for a pulley.
      There is a slide in the channel behind two pieces of rod welded in the channel to keep the slide in the channel.
      Then my weights.
      The cable is connected to the bottom of the lid to a chail link welded to it.
      I always bungee the weights if I tow the pit so it wont swing back and forth and break off.
      There are lots of other ways to counter weight but I get a little conversation with mine.
      I did not want my lids opening all the way so I put stops to prevent that.
      I used a sliding dampner system on the fire box end. used a few trailer ***** on the pit. They dont seem to get that hot. and for lid handles I used free floating aluminum 1 1/4" pipe over 1/2" rod. keeps the handles cool.
      Randall
      Attached Files

Comment

i dont know the best way to explain my opinion,but i think it is a combination of a little warping,and the hinges u have(they are nice though) are too tite.i think if u had a little(play in your hinges) the gap would kinda lay better.

if it was me i would get some (looser) hinges,which would be a hr job,and then just cook on it.here is one i built this summer and the guys are right,when cold it will leak some smoke,but once the metal gets hot it will seal up.i have used the hinges u have on yours,on some different projects and they have no play,so the first little spot your door touches it is soo stiff it wont lay any better.hope i explained it ok,dont know everything but i think im pretty well spot on on this one.

here is a couple pics of the one i built.btw,nice job.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by weld-tek View Post
          i dont know the best way to explain my opinion,but i think it is a combination of a little warping,and the hinges u have(they are nice though) are too tite.i think if u had a little(play in your hinges) the gap would kinda lay better.

if it was me i would get some (looser) hinges,which would be a hr job,and then just cook on it.here is one i built this summer and the guys are right,when cold it will leak some smoke,but once the metal gets hot it will seal up.i have used the hinges u have on yours,on some different projects and they have no play,so the first little spot your door touches it is soo stiff it wont lay any better.hope i explained it ok,dont know everything but i think im pretty well spot on on this one.

here is a couple pics of the one i built.btw,nice job.
          Nice rig!
          Mine is fired up right now.
          Randall

Comment

Originally posted by BC Iron works View Post
            cant read your hole post the ads are in the way
            this site is realy going down hill
            its getting slower and slower
            You noticed too.

blaznhot_23,

If it were mine, I'd run 2 or 3 beads inside the door to draw it back down. You can grind them down or just leave them since they won't show from the outside unless the door is open. This method works pretty good for drawing metal back that has warped due to welding on one side.
            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim-TX View Post
              You noticed too.

blaznhot_23,

If it were mine, I'd run 2 or 3 beads inside the door to draw it back down. You can grind them down or just leave them since they won't show from the outside unless the door is open. This method works pretty good for drawing metal back that has warped due to welding on one side.
              Excellent Idea.
              When the bead cool it shrinks.
              Awesome.
              I am thinking the bead would run from top to bottom. Or does it matter?
              Thanks for your "wisdom" and I am sure this come from..."experience".
              Randall

Comment

Working...
              X