Over Rated?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over Rated?

I know that lincoln allways over rater there welders capacities by a mile but how far off is there rateing on the pro mig 180? It says it will do 3/8 but is that realy true?
    Miller Digital Elite inferno
    Miller MP-10 passive helmet
    Hobart Stickmate 250/160 ac/dc

Originally posted by 2tay530 View Post
    I know that lincoln allways over rater there welders capacities by a mile but how far off is there rateing on the pro mig 180? It says it will do 3/8 but is that realy true?
    up to 1/2" Fluxcore, Multipass & Mars has to be in retrograde
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Its really a quarter inch machine at best, most of the 180 class machines really eat 3/16 pretty good but shine on sheet work.

Comment

Originally posted by 2tay530 View Post
        I know that lincoln allways over rater there welders capacities by a mile
        And Miller doesn't?
        Jeff

Comment

It depends on how much time you have... 60 degree included angle, 3/32 root gap, and a whole lot of fill passes. It is possible.

Keep in mind that is for complete penetration on plate, with a Fillet weld you probably could weave a equal leg pass in. I wouldn't be full penetration, but it would be a 3/8 weld when you checked it with a fillet gauge.

It all depends on the numbers are drawn from, without a reference however they don't mean much. I also do feel that the manufactures, all of them, are quite optimistic about there machines capacities. My $.02
          Last edited by shorerider16; 07-04-2008, 11:24 AM. Reason: spelling
          Dynasty 200DX, first generation
          Makita 5" grinder
          Makita 14" abrasive saw
          IR SS5L compressor
          Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
          and a wish list a mile long

Comment

Why rate a machine at X/X" rating if it can't be done in one pass. Miller rates their machine pretty spot on. When I look at a machine I assume it can do what it is rated to in one pass. It's what I expect! It is sad when a company has to stretch the truth to make a sale.

James
            Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
            WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
            Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
            20Ton press
            And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
            www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Comment

Hi guys first post here. I have used the millermatic 180 and the Lincoln Pro mig 180 side by side and they both are equal to one another which is why they are both sold as each others equivalent. Basicly what it boils down to is operator of the machine and what I mean by that is if you take a miller, Habart, lincoln or any other quality welder that is rated close to the same and have a skilled welder weld with any of them he will be able to make a equal weld with any of the machines. Just like with everything there are your die hard Miller fans and your die Hard Lincoln fans and both swear by there machines and thats the way it is.

One thing I love about Miller is as far as I know all there machines are still built in the USA and I really admire them for that.

Comment

I like your post right off. You are right, all these companies make good machines. Now more than ever, especially in this class.

Comment

Made in America did it for me. I like to keep as much money in the United States as possible. China already owns us. We don't need to go any farther in the whole. Thanks Miller for staying here in the U.S.A. It really means a lot.

James
                  Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
                  WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
                  Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
                  20Ton press
                  And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
                  www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Comment

Fluxcore?

I was under the impression that the ratings for these 175 or 180 machines were pretty close. My Lincoln 175 PLus has a placard inside of the door. It shows that with .035 solid wire, it will weld 3/16". With .035 Innershield (fluxcore) it's rated for up to 1/4". With .045 innershield it can do 5/16". There's nothing over-rated about that, IMHO. Either Miller or Lincoln 180's will do that for certain.

I can do 1.4" mild steel plate easily in one pass with solid wire in my 175 plus. One thing that really helps is the fact that it has a 6 ga. 60 amp electrical box to work from. The short, 15 foot extension cable to the machine plug is 8 ga. I also use C02 for the cost and penetration. That makes the capability a little greater as well.

I think the Miller 180's and Lincoln 180's are very close to each other in capability and are both good welders. The companies are also good competitors. We should be glad that we have both companies since the competition is what keeps better machines coming out for the consumer market all of the time. Made in America is a good motto. I woudn't even look at a foreign machine. At least with Lincoln or Miller I can get parts, accessories, advice and service if needed.

I Last year traded my old Lincoln Idealarc 250/250 in on a Miller Syncrowave 200. Both were/are excellent machines but I wanted a square wave with pulse and DIG Stick capability.

Personally I don't think you can go wrong with either red or blue. I'll go hide now. LOL.
                    Last edited by Synchroman; 07-06-2008, 06:14 PM.
                    Miller Syncrowave 200
                    Milermatic 252
                    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"

Comment

I hope you meant 1/4" not 1.4"
                      Tim Beeker,
                      T-N-J Industries
                      (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
                      Esab 450i with wire feeder
                      HH135 mig
                      Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
                      Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
                      Marathon 315mm coldsaw
                      vertical and horizontal band saws
                      table saw
                      Dewalt cut off saw
                      Sand blast cabinet
                      lots of hand grinders
                      Harris torch
                      beer fridge

Comment

Originally posted by tnjind View Post
                        I hope you meant 1/4" not 1.4"
                        Yep, 1/4"; .250; one quater inch; 6.35mm; .635 cm.
                        Miller Syncrowave 200
                        Milermatic 252
                        Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"

Comment

Working...
                        X