Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hand Grinder Suggestions, Please

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with the MIG hater.... Just joking anti-gmaw,. I like the Metabos too, but they do cost more than some others. I have a couple and love them. On the other hand my dad has a couple Black and Decker "proffesional" series models , not the ones from Wal-mart, and they have been around awhile, So my 2 cents is, buy the best you can afford. Somebody else said it but you'll end up with more than one grinder so you'll figure out which one you like best. good luck

Now I rememeber where i left my grinder......in the kitchen......[laughing]

Comment

Dewalt-case close

Comment

i defenetly cant argue that. i have an extensive colection of dewalt tools and none have ever let me doen. some older than others but i have never had one break on me. but i got most all my dewalts when i was working and had way, way, way more $$ to spend, now i get the best i can aford insted of the best i can think of.
        there are a lot of middle ground grinders that will work out just fine in a home or light duty shop, for some of us thats the best we can do.

Comment

4.5 inch angle grinder

Originally posted by Irish Welder View Post
          I'm new to welding. I'm taking a MIG class and need to purchase an electric hand grinder. I like Milwaukee Electric's line of grinders and was set to buy its 13 AMP model, but it's too heavy for me. Milwaukee has a number of lighter weight grinders, but they have lower amperage. What amperage is adequate? There's an 8.5 AMP model. Do you think that's sufficient? Thanks.
          I'd recomend a Makita... they r light weight and they have the power for the job.

Comment

This may get a howl from everyone else but I was in Harbor Freight and a guy from a fab shop across the street was buying 10 HF grinders. He said they (the yellow ones from HF, not the blue ones) last just as long as Makita and other "name" brands. His employees trash them anyway so he stopped spending big money on grinders. I bought 3 (I think they were $18) so I wouldn't have to change wheels. After a year of home welding use, they are still fine.

Comment

i have not seen any yellow ones at my HF only the blue and the orange ones. at 4.5amp's i think i'll pass. i suspect they are about the same as the B&D grinders and i have never been realy impressed with them, but the pro series looks promising.
              now there wire brushes are on sale for $0.29 so i did grab up 10 of them while i was there.

Comment

Anything 7amps or more. Made the mistake of getting a Bosch 5 amp. no guts. but I've got a DeWalt, Craftsman and Makita. All excellent, since they got more power. My Craftsman actually just died, 4 years aint bad! Don't like the new model, can't stand the paddle foot. So I'll get another DeWalt.

Comment

Working...
                X
                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.