Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

"it should only take a few minutes..."

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if thats the way he takes care of his trailor what makes you think you wont end up on the side of the road in his broken Van 1/2 way there i supose the repair to the van would be free cuzz you need it to get home right, and no dought it would be your equipments extra wait that caused it right. , what a nutball. i wonder if he tells his Dr. how long it should take for him to set a broken bone??? or stich up a cut???

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
      i wonder if he tells his Dr. how long it should take for him to set a broken bone??? or stich up a cut???
      Well,,,,,,,,,

We're not pioneering some new Science or Medical Frontier here.

A little yank to 'set' it.
      .....Wrap 85 cents worth of plaster on the limb.... and its done--- right?

How hard can it be anyway?

Heck, I'd be willing to pay,,, maybe $20 bucks to have a broken bone fixed.

Don't laugh,,,, that's how these folks see the world....

Comment

your forgetting about the time required to fab up a nice steel frame to wrap that plaster on. how about $25.

Comment

This is a funny thread, I feel much better knowing I'm not alone with all the idiots Lots of nice people too but it only takes a few idiots to stand out. We were talking about colleges earlier and my thought on that is this. When you go to college, its to get a "trade". oops I said a dirty word I mean the diploma you get is actually worth nothing. Its the knowledge of a subject that is what you get paid for. So to me, when your kids are going through high school encourage them to get a skill. Welder, Doctor, Mechanic, Dentist, Electrcian, Teacher, it doesnt matter, really all are skills. To me you have to go to college to get some skills, [ "on the job training for Doctors"ha ha ] But some you dont need college , always good to start with a trade school though. It really doenst matter as long as you've learned a skill [trade] you'll make a living. Its ridiculous to go to school and come out with a degree that you can't get a job for. "You can have a masters in english literature, but work as a hotel manager", what a waste of money. Funny is they still think they are smarter than us. We have some great friends that are teachers and I tease them about this. They dont agree that any job or skill learned is a trade. Some jobs are professionals they say. We get into some great arguments over higher learning....

Comment

Originally posted by Winger Ed. View Post
            Well,,,,,,,,,

i wonder if anyones ever tried to use coupons for that kind of stuff . they try everything else

Comment

Some jobs are professionals
              so are they implying a welder or carpenter are not professionals ?? lets see them build a house or weld togather an airplane, i think not. so are they stupid, or just one of many profetions.

Comment

Well, I didn't think it would happen but I got a legitimate 20 minute welding job today! They guy dropped the part off and said it's should be a pretty quick and easy job. He didn't tell me how long it "should" take me though becasue he runs a backhoe service and knows better than to imply anything like that. I took my time and still only spent 20 minutes total on it.
                Is this a once in a lifetime thing or does this happen regualrly for all you guys who have been doing this for awhile??

Comment

Originally posted by dabeldesign View Post
                  Is this a once in a lifetime thing or does this happen regualrly for all you guys who have been doing this for awhile??

Most of the folks I work with think my welding and fabrication skills are some sort of wizardry or a black art.

I work for a safe company-- we're talking about a steel box with 5 or 6 moving parts to lock/unlock it... It really is (mostly) very simple things that I do.

They'll often puzzle, fret, and ponder over trying to figure something out, where to get a part, how to modify a part, etc. After finally bringing it to me, I'll often look at and tell them, "No problem. I can make one of those,,, Should take about 20 minutes, I'll have it done before Lunch"--- I say this when its about 10:00AM.

And it just blows them away when I almost beat them back to thier office with thier little project item, and its still hot. I frequently drop a little project on thier desk, say, "Give that a few minutes to cool off", then go back to the bowels of the shop while its still smoking.

But these really are little 5-10 minute things,
                  and the shop is already set up for them.
                  Plus I have a excellent network of spies,,,,, and they often give me advance notice of what's coming so I can get a head start, or even have something done before I'm officially asked for it.

Last edited by Winger Ed.; 07-05-2007, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by weld_13 View Post
                    i wonder if anyones ever tried to use coupons for that kind of stuff . they try everything else
                    I don't know about that, but I sure ask my Doctor and Dentist about what sort of warranty they give on various procedures like a Dental Crown. And if a medication doesn't work, "Are ya gonna clip me for another Office Visit Fee is this stuff don't work".

It shocks the heck out of them the first time or two.
                    But I've saved a few 2nd visit fees over the years when I've had to come back to the Doctor.

And the Dentist now boasts to his other patients about his 5 year warranty on Crowns.

Comment

Winger Ed.
                      LOL i like it, lets get a warentee on the flue shot.

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Winger Ed.
                      Well,,,,,,,,,

what do ya think they use when they put a plate in a spine or baddly broken lag/arm?? SS coopons and a few screw's. they should probly weld it insted of the screw's but i dont think they could figure out how to work the TIG setup, after all they are only doctor's. so screws will have to do.

Comment

Sure I'll fix anything in under 10 minutes anyware on the globe! I'll just teleport myself to you'r location, whip out my magic wand and say "Abra Cadabra!" And I'll do it for $5.00 too.

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                          Winger Ed.
                          LOL i like it, lets get a warentee on the flue shot.

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Winger Ed.
                          Well,,,,,,,,,

what do ya think they use when they put a plate in a spine or baddly broken lag/arm?? SS coopons and a few screw's. they should probly weld it insted of the screw's but i dont think they could figure out how to work the TIG setup, after all they are only doctor's. so screws will have to do.
                          dads had a plate and some screws in his foot before . problem with welding it was ya cant weld steel to bone

Comment

Originally posted by Winger Ed. View Post
                            I frequently drop a little project on thier desk, say, "Give that a few minutes to cool off", then go back to the bowels of the shop while its still smoking.

But these really are little 5-10 minute things,
                            and the shop is already set up for them.
                            Plus I have a excellent network of spies,,,,, and they often give me advance notice of what's coming so I can get a head start, or even have something done before I'm officially asked for it.

Oh, I love to do that! Give someone a part that's still hot and tell them to let it "marinate" for a few minutes; that always pleasantly surprises them
                            The problem for me though is that I get asked to do so many different things that my shop isn't always set up for it. I can be welding on a tractor one day and building aluminum flower pots the next day. I still need to find my niche market...

Comment

I get asked to do so many different things that my shop isn't always set up for it. I can be welding on a tractor one day and building aluminum flower pots the next day. I still need to find my niche market...

i think i might just have to stick out a welding sign and see if`i can find me one of them niche's.

weld_13
                              ya dont weld to bone son ya cut 2 each 1/2's and wrap it and weld it in place, you got a lot to lern about medicine if'ens ya wana be a welder.

Comment

EXCELLENT THREAD! My 2 cents:
                                Dabar39: I think I'll make up a bunch of 50% coupons and pass them out in your area I"m dying to know what you did to that guys job when he said take what I give you or go home with nothing !!!
                                I'm a softy, so I wouldn't take a nickel from him, and just say, "I'm sorry to have caused you grief..." Get his license plate number, and a month later, call the cops saying it's a stolen vehicle !!! Oh well, if you have "nicer" ways to get even, send me a private message

If any customer calls you back the next day, telling you "ok, you fix it" (after knowing they called everyone else), I think you have enough business to tell them, "sorry, got new jobs, don't have time for you now, how's about 3 weeks? I have time then!"

regarding shop rates as people ask questions, give advice, etc. too bad people don't take that seriously!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.