Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Huge angle

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually the whole angle had a slight bow to from the beginning. When I left the Boss didn't mention it being bowed. He has micrometer eyes and a mini camera in his head. But I'm going to string it Monday. 1/4 inch bow in 10 feet either way is negligable in this purpose.

Comment

Good job Steve. I don't think that I've ever used angle iron that didn't have a bow in it. Granted, I've not used 8 x 8 x 3/4 angle.

Comment

Thanks Jim-TX. Anybody got a slant on the settings of the MP65E I used?

Comment

the steel mills prebow all assymetric sections

Comment

Disagree

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
            A fully welded box is going to be way stronger than one with intermittent welds.
            I was taught that on long stretches of heavy material to break up the welds so flex spots are there. Fully welded means hardened areas and cracking. I did this on my service truck and haven't had any problems after 10k miles and a lot of weight. The road is hard on things!!!

Comment

Lance, are the things welded this way at max loading, nearly loaded, half loaded? They may be lightly loaded enough you may never see a problem no matter how many miles. All this is moot until a certain point, maybe even a certain number of cycles, etc. I would suspect your service truck to be significantly over built, nearly every piece is a Gage heavier than a commercial body? In theory it should last nearly indefinitely.

Comment

Lots of truck stuff designed for hundreds of thousands of miles of hard service fully loaded, the 10k with you the owner operator, doesn't surprise me you haven't had problems. Likely wouldn't have significant issues with 20 yrs and a million miles, the tools in it would rattle around and wear out before the service body.

Comment

I strung the box today, less than 1/16 bow two ways. It will live.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Great job!!!
                    Thanks for the pics!

Comment

You are welcome, next post will be of putting the thing together.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Couldn't get it right, huh! LOL
                        Nice job.

Comment

If you seen what this thing is going to pull...That's funny Bud. Good thing I used that new product... Anti-distortion gel. LOL. I got off lucky it didn't really go to town really.

Comment

Nice work Steve. I think the boss should let you head to the State fair for a day & a good steak at the Ground Round. And maybe happy hour & hot wings & Honestky though a very interesting project & look forward to more.

Comment

Great Thread

Hey Steve,
                              Thanks for the great photos. Your welding is very impressive.
                              Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.