Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simple CAD program

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple CAD program

Many of you porbably allready have something like this, but those who don't......I found a very simple, easy to use, free porgram to help design some projects.

http://sketchup.google.com/

I wish I could figure out how to post up some of the files I have done to show as an example of what you can do.....

What kind of files does this prograom output? DXF? DWG's? EPS?

What kinds of objects have you been able to draw with it?

I have a number of different programs and the one I would love to throw out is Enroute3. This program sucks. Its not set up well, crashes all the time , has errors and pretty much looks like some sort of beta bunk. It has a price tag to go with it too and the company - SAI (scanvec ((SCAMvec))) is very slow to offer explanations, or aid. If you have a router, stay away from Enroute.

Comment

It says it's and "SKB" file???? I'm not very computer smart....

I have actualy drawn some complicated stuff....I was able to color code the differrent materials (red pieces of angle, blue c-channel, etc.) I even figured out how to do things like expanded metal sheet by using the prefab items they have in the program - just draw a rectangle, then fill with the desire material and then you can pick up the sheet and move it into place on the project.

Comment

I'll have to give the download a try. I just wonder if i'll be able to import files into my other CAD programs...

things that make you go "Hmmmmmmmm".

Thanks for the tips though...!

Comment

Yeah, not bad for free.......Here's a screenshot:

Comment

and another....

Comment

Not bad. I guess the resolution is better than what is depicted in your screen shot ?

Comment

I wonder if it lets you put in dimensions

Comment

Originally posted by jcirafic View Post
                  I wonder if it lets you put in dimensions
                  It does allow dimensions

Comment

hello

thanks for the post maybe this will help me design a new project.
                    thanks again...

Comment

oh, yeah, it does dimensioning automaticly, find centers points of lines, snaps to an axis, you can create a "part" then copy it and move the copy into position on the project repetedly......I was truely amazed how well it works for something free!! Heck, I've gotten more use out of this then I did the "home design" software I paid over 100 bucks for!

Comment

One thing I'll add about Sketchup is that I learned the most from typing "Google Sketchup" into Youtube and looking at the various videos. Since I haven't used CAD before I had trouble with basic thing like adding dimensions. Even typing "Sketchup adding dimensions" into Youtube got me a quick answer.

Comment

There is a free version of the software that I use for all my 3d cad needs. It's called Alibre Design Xpress.

http://www.alibre.com/xpress/

Comment

Thanks Doc, Just what I needed!

Comment

Sketchup!

Btw, I believe the pro edition of Sketchup will allow importing and exporting of other drawing formats. It's about $500, if I remember correctly. This, of course may have already changed.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.