Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

question about building a trailer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    will a miller 220v thunderbolt be good for welding a trailer or anything on a bumper?

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by runningjalapeno View Post
      will a miller 220v thunderbolt be good for welding a trailer or anything on a bumper?
      Oh the machine is plenty good enough, the real question is are you?

      If you gotta ask if the machine can handle the job, it simply means that you don't have the experience to do the job.
      If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

      sigpicJohn Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
      Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

      Comment


      • #33
        no, I do not have the experience i just bought the welder off craigs list 3 days ago for 50.00 dollars in cc,tx i just did not know how thick of steel it will weld ,I am just using it to weld latches for locks on my gates but thanks for the info.

        Comment


        • #34
          right forum

          Originally posted by joshua27818 View Post
          I have a weld PAC-100 (Lincoln electric I know wrong website but there is a wealth of knowledge here) the specs. on the welder says it will weld at 30-88amps in DC mode. Also with it being converted to being a MIG and not a flux cored like it was when the machine was made, it will weld 1/4 materal with 0.35 wire with no problems. My question is will the amps that this machine puts out be enough to penatrate the metal and form a good bond or would it be bette for me to wait and invest into a good arc-welder with much more higher amps?
          Wrong machine!

          I think it is great that he came to the Miller forum. Soon he will understand the difference.

          Comment


          • #35
            You know it is bad when someone finds a place that he figures he can ask some questions just to get a second opion and everyone dogs him. I knew the machine was small and for what I wanted to do it was/is at the very most that it will do.

            The other thing is the lincoln website I didn't like it very much so I came here and looked around and said to myself that "there is alot of knowlodge here so tap into it" but yeah I should have stayed on the lincoln website at least I wouldn't have been trashed about what I asked, my machine which is what I can afford for right now to use, also a craftsman ac/dc stick wleder along with other tools.

            What did you mean by "put the crack pipe down" I have never even smoked,drank in my life my mama and dad brought me up in a christain home and my dad belived in a belt and not just around his waist either and I am proud to say I have never done neither of them.

            Now I am sorry for ever asking anything on this site next time I will just do it!!

            Now thank you to the gentlemen with the screen name DSW I thank you for all the information you shared with me it was a big help to my question.

            Comment


            • #36
              You misunderstood Broccoli

              I think you misunderstood broccoli1. That comment was not directed at you. It was for someone else.

              Though I haven't post much in here, I've read a lot here. People here are very nice. Regardless of the type of equipment you have.

              I am a newbie welder also. I can tell you from my experience with a 110V mig. I used to have a weldmark 110V. I welded a pair of clamp on forks for my new tractor. The steel was 4X6X 1/4" and YES!! IT DID FALL APART after a couple of use.

              Maybe it was me, but I don't trust 110V mig with thick steel anymore.

              Comment


              • #37
                you have to understand many of the guys here have seen some really bad welds rolling down the road into their shops. and you gotta know it pisses them off to see shoddy welds being put out on the road where others will pay the price for a bad weld. its a safety issue. the lil 110V Migs are great for Lotta of things, 1/4" is not one of them. using one to weld 1/4 brackets to a bumper for a hitch is just not a safe thing to do. bumpers and trailers need the proper power and skill to be used on the road safely. this is not a place for the weekend welder to be playing.
                nothing against you or your welder, enjoy it. just keep it within its safe use limits. i have a MM135 and would not use it for 1/4" brackets on a bumper or hitch. i have a 185 Amp Stick ot Tig option for that now, but before that it was just not something i would do. well really still not something i would do lightly.
                some are a little better at expressing their position than others in a nice manner, but there is lots to learn here so don't take it all to personally. many really nice helpful guys here.
                thanks for the help
                ......or..........
                hope i helped
                sigpic
                feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
                summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                JAMES

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by joshua27818 View Post
                  You know it is bad when someone finds a place that he figures he can ask some questions just to get a second opion and everyone dogs him. I knew the machine was small and for what I wanted to do it was/is at the very most that it will do.

                  The other thing is the lincoln website I didn't like it very much so I came here and looked around and said to myself that "there is alot of knowlodge here so tap into it" but yeah I should have stayed on the lincoln website at least I wouldn't have been trashed about what I asked, my machine which is what I can afford for right now to use, also a craftsman ac/dc stick wleder along with other tools.

                  What did you mean by "put the crack pipe down" I have never even smoked,drank in my life my mama and dad brought me up in a christain home and my dad belived in a belt and not just around his waist either and I am proud to say I have never done neither of them.

                  Now I am sorry for ever asking anything on this site next time I will just do it!!

                  Now thank you to the gentlemen with the screen name DSW I thank you for all the information you shared with me it was a big help to my question.
                  Joshua,

                  Th Crack Pipe comment was directed at Ls2 as I have no idea what he was talking about in his posts.
                  Ed Conley
                  http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                  MM252
                  MM211
                  Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                  TA185
                  Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                  O/A set
                  SO 2020 Bender
                  You can call me Bacchus

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Joshua- don't be offended - the comments abover were not directed at you.

                    Most of these guys have equipment from vendors other than Miller - but we are all here as it is a great place to learn and share.

                    What you don't realize is that you asked the "Classic Newbie" question - Can I weld a trailer with my <insert model> 110V welder?

                    And over and over we see CRAP posted by someone who thinks that "it sparked so it must be welded" . That's okay for a lawn ornament or to reattach a bracket to a flower pot holder, but when it comes to trailers and hitches where lives are at stake - sparks do not make for a secure weld.

                    As a result - the collective membership will strongly encourage you to pay an expert to weld up a trailer, or to buy one professionally made (well there's a lot of crap there too - but that's another story) . Trailers are not a project to learn on. That same membership will provide you with a ton of information as to how to learn, how to weld, how to test your own welds, and how to improve your skills. Along the way - you will learn a lot about welders, welding, joint design, materials, and ever trailer design.

                    Spend some time here - these are good people. I've learned a lot. With 2 years welding experience under my belt - I'm getting to the point I might consider building a trailer - but even still - I'd ask questions of real experts like Dabar and I'd have my local "mentor" look over my shoulder.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Big_Eddy View Post
                      Joshua- don't be offended - the comments abover were not directed at you.

                      Most of these guys have equipment from vendors other than Miller - but we are all here as it is a great place to learn and share.

                      What you don't realize is that you asked the "Classic Newbie" question - Can I weld a trailer with my <insert model> 110V welder?

                      And over and over we see CRAP posted by someone who thinks that "it sparked so it must be welded" . That's okay for a lawn ornament or to reattach a bracket to a flower pot holder, but when it comes to trailers and hitches where lives are at stake - sparks do not make for a secure weld.

                      As a result - the collective membership will strongly encourage you to pay an expert to weld up a trailer, or to buy one professionally made (well there's a lot of crap there too - but that's another story) . Trailers are not a project to learn on. That same membership will provide you with a ton of information as to how to learn, how to weld, how to test your own welds, and how to improve your skills. Along the way - you will learn a lot about welders, welding, joint design, materials, and ever trailer design.

                      Spend some time here - these are good people. I've learned a lot. With 2 years welding experience under my belt - I'm getting to the point I might consider building a trailer - but even still - I'd ask questions of real experts like Dabar and I'd have my local "mentor" look over my shoulder.

                      Thank you at least someone has told me something!! about the question I asked because I mean I had thought I should haved used my old stick welder insted of the MIG but I didn't know I would get all the responses I got by just asking what I did on here.
                      The other night when I went on a rant I was already upset and when I saw all of that stuff (because I hadn't been on here in a while) I just went off so I am sorry to everyone for my horrable attitude. Also the welder I knew it was to small I just wanted to confirm what I already thought initially. I just bought it and wanted to use it insted of the old dusty trusty stick welder
                      but once again I am sorry and thank you for everything you all have said in the past on this thread.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X