Gonna build a Jeep

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glockdoc View Post
    1976 was the first year that AMC went with the 20 rearend. They had a lot of problems with the two piece axle-it always wanted to revert back to two pieces in high torque situations. A few companies made a lot of money supplying aftermarket axles that work on the 20. what year did they go back to the 44?
    Yup. Im well aware of the model 20 problems. The HD versions of the AMC 20 used in some of the wagonners had one piece axle shafts and held up much better than the CJ versions. The first axle swap on my '98 TJ was a HD AMC 20 rear, Dana 44 front out of a waggy.. they held up very well considering what I put them through. Bent one rear axle shaft and broke a few front stock axle shafts and joints. Im running a Dana 70 rear and Ford RC60 front now

The only year they used the 44 rear in the CJ's was 1986... and IIRC there were actually a few early 86 CJ's with the AMC 20 in there. Most have the 44 though.

Comment

Sooo? You got any pics of it or any progress? I would like to know what I would be gettin into because I am going to eventually tear into the same model jeep because thats the one my mom had way back when and she said thats the one she would like to have rebuilt so I of course said shure when can I start. I am still lookin around to find a good deal on one locally wish I could find something as nice as what you did
      welding...its awsome

Comment

thanks weld13 to bring up this post I missed! I'm shocked Bob has time, but it's pretty awsome all these guys has so much talent for all kinds of stuff!!!
        Bob...what happened to the pics???
        I'm not late...
        I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

Originally posted by weld_13 View Post
          Sooo? You got any pics of it or any progress? I would like to know what I would be gettin into because I am going to eventually tear into the same model jeep because thats the one my mom had way back when and she said thats the one she would like to have rebuilt so I of course said shure when can I start. I am still lookin around to find a good deal on one locally wish I could find something as nice as what you did
          Weld_13
          I know where a cj-7 is has a GREAT body the motor was rebuilt thta the only bad thing and it ain`t got a top $500 no rust new tubs and everthing but it would be along ways to come get

Inferno Forge

Chris

Comment

aww shute! Ill have my brother fly me and my dad out to tennesee and will drive it back
            welding...its awsome

Comment

yeah you could do it Hahahaha yeah but closest airpoert is in knoxville about 50 miles away

Inferno Forge

Chris

Comment

well not a comercial one but a private one would do fine that where my grandpa lives right off one. heck a nice open flat field would do or a wide road my grandpa has both accidently landed on roads and had emergincey landings on em
                welding...its awsome

Comment

the biggest road we have is a 3 lane ( 1 is 4 turning) ,most of the field ain`t to flat

Inferno Forge

Chris

Comment

Working...
                  X