Reciever hitch for lawn tractor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reciever hitch for lawn tractor

I use my lawn tractor to move my utility trailer around my back yard as there is not enough room to manuver it with my truck. The problem was that the hitch on the tractor was very close to the ground so the tounge jack of the trailer had very little clearance. It also took a lot of jacking the trailer up and down to move it with the tractor and then hook up to the truck etc.

I found the reciever tube on the road and used all scrap metal mostly 3" by 1/4" strap and one piece of 4" by 1/4" strap. The tie down rings have been laying around the shop for a while so I put them to work here.

Now i just need to throw together a few useful accesories that I can attach with the new 2" reciever on the JD.

Name:  99f3a176936d93d0f97f1ca674d53221.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  205.1 KB

Name:  70fba3555d8b72828b857a57b364c1dc.jpg
Size:  158.1 KB

Name:  c149c347fcec2b40ebd6233de178c7cc.jpg
Size:  170.3 KB
    Larry

"I feel for the man who can only spell a word one way"......Mark Twain

Lincoln AC225-S (OLD/Copper Wound)
    Lincoln Weldpac 100
    Miller Matic 180 (auto set)
    Miller Spool gun 100
    Miller Spectrum 375 Extreme
    Victor Super Range II

That looks cool, I think its probably built out of heavy enough material and nice paint job.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

good job

nice lookin' job man. nothing like the convenience of a smaller vehicle to do smaller tasks with. i have a john deere gt 275 48" cut and it's wonderful for small jobs. i built a little shelf to go behind mine where i either keep a spray rig or a plastic bin for sticks and trash when i'm mowing (i'll get some pics and post them early next week). your tractor looks a little larger--which model is it?
      1 BEST 6 Y/O HELPER IN THE WORLD
      2 VICTOR O/A TORCHES
      LINCOLN SP 175 PLUS
      4 EACH 20 TON JACKS
      SEVERAL LESSER TON JACKS
      SEVERAL GRINDERS
      LOTS OF HAMMERS MISC SIZES
      BIG PILE OF MISC TOOLS
      CLASS A CDL'S
      C7500 FLAT BED
      4 TRAILERS
      HOME MADE GANTRY CRANE
      SOME GOOD COMMON SENSE (I THINK)
      TRACTOR WITH NEW HEAVY DUTY LIFT POLE -- FIND MY THREAD
      6 GOATS, 1 DOG, 1 DONKEY...
      ON AND ON AND ON...

Comment

another solution

Larwyn,
        Good idea and good photos. This is my solution.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbHMVneIS5g

BTW, welcome to the site and thanks for sharing.

Nick
        Nick
        Miller 252 Mig
        Miller Cricket XL
        Millermatic 150 Mig
        Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
        2-O/A outfits
        Jet Lathe and Mill
        Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
        DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
        Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
        20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
        Propane Forge
        60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
        Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
        and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

very nice work. I like the good alingment with your truck. I think I might borrow your idea. Thanks.

Comment

Nice job. Even if you had perfect beads, outside welds wouldn't look as nice. It looks really 'clean' without any welds showing.
            RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
            sigpic

Comment

Looks good, I put a hitch on the front of my lawn tractor for both moving around my trailers in my yard and also use the hitch when lifting the front of the little tractor with my hoist. Makes it very handy for working on the blades or under side of the tractor.

Comment

Looks like a little X300 lawn tractor.
                Dave P.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments.

Figured someone would mention that there are no welds showing. Believe me you would not want to see them......

Yes it is a little John Deere X300 lawn tractor with a 42" mower deck. Not very big but more than enough for mowing my under half acre lot and big enough to act as an occasional trailer dolly on my relatively flat yard.
                  Larry

Lincoln Weldpac 100
                  Miller Spool gun 100
                  Victor Super Range II

Comment

Originally posted by Larwyn View Post
                    Figured someone would mention that there are no welds showing. Believe me you would not want to see them......
                    A man has got to know his limitations. FWIW: Try 7014, it's supposed to make pretty welds and isn't moisture sensitive like 7018; so it will keep for years. 6013 also makes nice welds and in that application would be plenty strong. OBTW: my stick welds suck.
                    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
                    sigpic

Comment

are u using ur new little auto set mig for that project? looks nice for little projects like that try down hand mig gives u a nice bead profile and plenty strong for that application.
                      trail blazer 302
                      hypertherm plasma
                      millermatic 251
                      high feq. arc starter
                      suit case (extreme 12vs)
                      o/a torches
                      way to many other tools to list

Comment

great looking hitch setup. should take one to your JDdealer and see if he wants to put them on the shelf.
                        great job.
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
                        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                        JAMES

Comment

Yes, I used the 180 autoset on the project. Actually most of the welds look okay but there was one or two beads that looked like they were done by accident (like a hot wire had fallen and arched/melted). I was welding inside with .030 solid wire and c25. The "settings" were .030 wire and the high side of the 1/4" material setting.

I know there was mill scale on the metal, the only cleaning I did was a quick once over with a twisted wire cup brush on a 4.5" grinder. I'm thinking there may have been some kind of oil on the 4" flat bar that I used which affected the welds, as the really bad looking ones involved that piece of scrap.

Also most all of my welding, previous to purchasing the MM180, has been done with the little Weldpack 100 and .035 flux core. And mostly with 1/8" material. So I am sure my welds will look better on the thicker material as I get a bit more practice. My welds with the 180 on 1/8" material look really good to me, it could be that I am moving too fast on the thicker material.
                          Larry

Lincoln Weldpac 100
                          Miller Spool gun 100
                          Victor Super Range II

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                            great looking hitch setup. should take one to your JDdealer and see if he wants to put them on the shelf.
                            great job.

There's an idea. Next time I have the X300 on the trailer I might run it by the dealer and let him have a look. Of course I should probably wait untill the warranty is out on the tractor. I've been warned by some people that some dealears point at such modifications to the small lawn tractors if transmission problems develop.
                            Larry

Lincoln Weldpac 100
                            Miller Spool gun 100
                            Victor Super Range II

Comment

I've been warned by some people that some dealears point at such modifications to the small lawn tractors if transmission problems develop
                              that sucks, but dose not suprise me. you didnt weld to the tractor though its a bolt on option isent it??? maybe take it in off the mower, tell him you made it for a frends and thought they might be interested. not that you need one, nothing to tow but they might.
                              thanks for the help
                              ......or..........
                              hope i helped
                              sigpic
                              feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
                              summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                              JAMES

Comment

Working...
                              X