Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brass

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brass

What do to Mig or Tig brass?

Brass

Silver solder

Comment

But I need to weld it.

Comment

silver brazing or brass is just as strong as welding. I prefer silver because of the flow aspect. Ever heard of using a coat hanger for brazing?
        Last edited by lanceman73; 05-29-2008, 02:59 PM.

Comment

I am fixin' to take an online I-car (very brief) class on "mig brazing".

Comment

Originally posted by lanceman73 View Post
            silver brazing or brass is just as strong as welding. I prefer silver because of the flow aspect. Ever heard of using a coat hanger for brazing?

I would say that would depend on many things. Welder guy doesn't give enuff info to give a definite answer. He could be talking about something that is decorative that needs the proper color or maybe something structural marine that needs to be 100% and solder won't cut it there either.
            As for the brazing with a coat hanger I used to years ago WELD O/A with them a bunch on stuff like floorboards and exhaust but it was fusion not brazing.

Comment

Originally posted by fendermender View Post
              I am fixin' to take an online I-car (very brief) class on "mig brazing".
              I have never heard of "MIG brazing". I thought the only way to braze is with OA? Not critisizing here, just trying to learn.

Comment

I think you can get special bronze mig wire. Never had a need for it, so I could be way off base. Seam to remember it from my mig class.

Comment

Originally posted by Cram View Post
                  I have never heard of "MIG brazing". I thought the only way to braze is with OA? Not critisizing here, just trying to learn.
                  Yes it is real and is the ticket on many autobody sheetmetal apps. It does not melt the base metals but still works like a Mig. You prep, tack and shoot brass wire rather than steel wire. It makes strong lap joints with less distortion as is lower temp than standard Mig. It also requires a lot less grinding afterward. This method is for experenced hands only,

Comment

i believe the mig wire refferred to is silicon bronze, that is what i believe you would use to tig weld brass too, or TIG braze steel. Its available as a tig rod or mig wire. I do hear its very popular with the autobody crowd.

Comment

My mentor works with brass and he tigs it.

Comment

u can tig, apparently mig (never heard of it but cool anyways) and stick weld it. tig welding is ur best bet for the ease of rod availability but more hand skills involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Laiky View Post
                          i believe the mig wire refferred to is silicon bronze, that is what i believe you would use to tig weld brass too, or TIG braze steel. Its available as a tig rod or mig wire. I do hear its very popular with the autobody crowd.
                          ya hit the nail on the head here

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.