Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maxstar 150S or a Hobart Stickmate ac/dc

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maxstar 150S or a Hobart Stickmate ac/dc

I have found a used Maxstar 150s (stick only) for the same price I can get a new Hobart stickmate ac/dc for. I don't need the portability of the Miller....it would be nice however.........I like the fact that the Miller has a higer duty cycle...and it will take up less space....it includes the case and leads....as far as having 220 that isn't a problem......if I need to weld with a 110v outlet I can use my HH140.....what would you guys do?
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Miller maxstar 150s
    60.00%
    Hobart Stickmate
    40.00%

do you have any plans for doing aluminum ???

Comment

Not with stick......as for TIG I'm still getting my feet wet with MIG......I'd love to have a TIG set up but the $ involved is a little much for me at this time.
      Mike

Comment

Hey Mike,

Just curious. Why would anyone get rid of a Miller Dialarc AC/DC unit to get a Stickmate? Seems like a giant step backwards.

I finally (after cleanup and painting) got my Dialarc up and running. That is one sweet machine in DCEP. Every bit as good as the Sync 250 and a lot less hassle to set up. That was the main reason for going with the Dialarc, so that I didn't have to keep changing out my leads.

Since I've picked up the MM251 w/30A Spoolgun, I probably won't use the Dialarc that much, but it's nice to know there's a sweet machine in the corner, ready to "burn some rods".

Comment

I didn't have the juice to run the Dial Arc....and I had a line on a nice MM185 with spool gun for $500 (deal fell through)....so I started looking at stick machines and ran across the used Maxstar......but now that the HH210 is out I may have to look at it as well.
          Mike

Comment

if all you ever plan on using it for is stick i would say go for the maxstar. if you think you might like to try TIG some day then go with the TIGmate.
            the tigmate would alow you to play with TIG and lern it as time permits and when you are ready to get a realy nice TIG unit later if you outgrow the tigmate you can use the footcontrole, torchest and gages on the new one. also you can get the torch one month, the gages the next foot controle the fallowing month and no big strain to the wallet, and all this time you still have the stick being used for whatever its needed for. the tigmate offers a lot more versatility. true it dose not go down to 5 amps but as a stick welder would you ever go below 30 amps ?? look at it as a free TIG lerning tool.
            if you know there is no way you want to try TIG go with the maxstar to save some space and lower power use. as i understand it DC realy is the way to go when stick welding any way.seems to be the preferd process.
            tuff choice but i would have to vote tigmate. like i said its a free TIG lerning tool, slowly invest an additional $250 and you are ready to lern TIG, even less if you want to share a regulator with one of your other machines.

if you didnt have the juce for the dialarc can you give the tigmate its needed 60amp breaker ??

Comment

Stickmate not TIG.......The Dial Arc called for a 90 Amp breaker....I rent and my main is 100Amp.....the Stickmate draws 47Amp @ max out put....the Maxstar draws 21 @ max output..... I have to power to run both......I also have 25ft each of leads that would be a nice addition to the Hobart / I could get the Maxstar and sell them.
              Mike

Comment

Originally posted by 84ZMike View Post
                Stickmate not TIG.......The Dial Arc called for a 90 Amp breaker....I rent and my main is 100Amp.....the Stickmate draws 47Amp @ max out put....the Maxstar draws 21 @ max output..... I have to power to run both......I also have 25ft each of leads that would be a nice addition to the Hobart / I could get the Maxstar and sell them.
                Mike
                i didnt know that i have a 50 amp breaker on my 240? but i have a dif. welder and have no idea what they say is supposed to be on there? ohwell it works and doesnt overdo-it so i guess its fine

Comment

I also have 25ft each of leads that would be a nice addition to the Hobart / I could get the Maxstar and sell them.

why couldnt you use then on the maxstar ?? its standerd dins conectors isent it ?? even so you could always change out the ends to comodate the max.
                  sorry i thought you said tigmate my bad. go with the maxstar then.

Comment

Picked up the Maxstar tonight......once I get my ext. cords and adapters done I'll burn some rods and see how she does......
                    Mike

Comment

you should be realy happy with it. every one seems to realy like the max150's congrats on the new toy.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.