Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miller Welding Cart

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller Welding Cart

I augmented the standard cart which came with my MM180 to also accommodate my new Spectrum 375 Extreme. It is basically a "side frame" with seperate cable hangars for the welder and the plasma cutter and a shelf of sorts for the plasma cutter. This is just a temporary measure to bring some sanity to my small shop until I have time to build a proper cart for these two excellent machines.
    Attached Files

That is cool.
    How do you like the mm180?
    Randall

Comment

Originally posted by fendermender View Post
      That is cool.
      How do you like the mm180?
      Randall
      Nice mod to the welding cart. How is the MM180 w/ auto set. Came out a month after I bought mine.

James

Comment

Thanks. I could not be happier with the MM 180.

I really did not expect to use the auto set feature all that much. But in practice it is much quicker than refering to a chart or relying on memory for speed and voltage settings. I like it. So far I have had no regrets about my choice of welder or plasma cutter, they are both impresive machines.

Comment

nice little cart looks like it will serve you well

Comment

nice mod.

great little cart addition. looks like the shelf is small enough to still alow the door on the MM180 to be opened for wire replacement.
            thats a lot of function in a small space with that cart combo, congrats on getting some great equipment.

Comment

Very Nice, also like the grate over the garbage can

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                great little cart addition. looks like the shelf is small enough to still alow the door on the MM180 to be opened for wire replacement.
                thats a lot of function in a small space with that cart combo, congrats on getting some great equipment.

Thanks. Yes the door will raise fully on the 180 with the plasma cutter in place. Also if you remove the plasma cutter there is a gap to allow clearance to use the handle of the 180 to lift it off of the cart. I will need to add some bracing from side to side on the cart and put some larger wheels on it before I am satisfied with the result.

Name:  4325bdfa4f1927df831e726d177f0fb4.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  182.2 KB
                Name:  4416216a08bb92f6373bd85b9a1968dc.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  167.6 KB

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeMike View Post
                  Very Nice, also like the grate over the garbage can

Glad you like it. That pic got in there by accident but the grate over the garbage can makes a decent cutting table for the plasma cutter and prevents a lot of sweeping up....

Comment

Braced it side to side, installed 3" casters and 8" wheels. It is solid and rolls 10 times better. Now I'm not sure how temporary this set up is....
                    Name:  f355196d3a11bd7a6df2f9eb380a2ffc.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  177.2 KB
                    Last edited by Larwyn; 05-27-2008, 07:41 PM. Reason: Corrected wheel size.

Comment

You prompted me to do same!

I incorporated my old Miller cart into one that I made.

NOTE: I have since expanded the wheelbase as my wheels were to close together for the weight I had.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SavageSunJeep View Post
                        You prompted me to do same!

I incorporated my old Miller cart into one that I made.

NOTE: I have since expanded the wheelbase as my wheels were to close together for the weight I had.
                        You did a good job of covering up the original cart there. I like the rack for the grinders and the big casters.

The wheels I used were the maximum height I could get by with (without a total rediesign). The reason being that my cart is stored under overhanging storage and the way it sits now the flow meter has about 1" clearance when mounted on an 80 cf bottle. If not for that I would probably have used 10 inch wheels on the back with 4" casters on the front.

Comment

Very nice setups, real practical, the 180 and the spec make a good combo. You got a torch set and you are good to go.

Comment

SSJ: I wouldn't hang my grinders by the cords, it will break down the stranded copper inside, over time. If the frame cross pieces are angle (pointing up), just rotate your grinders and hang 'em by the guards. Or weld a piece of 1 1/2" strap across the cross pieces so you can. 1" is probably too narrow and will allow the grinders to 'swing in' on their guards. 1 1/2 or 2" will help keep them vertical. It's how they do it at weld class. IMHO and none of my business.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig in Denver View Post
                              SSJ: I wouldn't hang my grinders by the cords, it will break down the stranded copper inside, over time. If the frame cross pieces are angle (pointing up), just rotate your grinders and hang 'em by the guards. Or weld a piece of 1 1/2" strap across the cross pieces so you can. 1" is probably too narrow and will allow the grinders to 'swing in' on their guards. 1 1/2 or 2" will help keep them vertical. It's how they do it at weld class. IMHO and none of my business.
                              LOL, yes your right, that said, I will most likely wear out the grinders long before I wear out the cords. With the exception of the yellow DeWalt the rest are Harbor Fright specials which cost from $9.95 to $14.95.

But I like your idea better and I plan on either cutting out my center bars or just adding some 'L's to the bars and hang them by the guards. I can assure you its on the LIST of stuff to do

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.