Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody have a need for this?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anybody have a need for this?

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE:IT&ih=008

    I have one like this and It runs my mm175 without even breaking a sweat.

  • #2
    I didn't look it thru completely but Mr handyman there has fooled with the grounding by changing the recept on that unit, buyer beware.

    Comment


    • #3
      looks like a nice unit, i could use one of them but i suspect it would end up well out of my $$ range. right now i use a 5,500 for backup power. it gets the job done but dont think it would run my welder's.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Sberry View Post
        I didn't look it thru completely but Mr handyman there has fooled with the grounding by changing the recept on that unit, buyer beware.
        Yeah, why not just make a Pig Tail??

        Comment


        • #5
          A 13KW rig should run your whole house without breaking a sweat!

          They come with a 4-wire plug because the ground and neutral are isolated in the newer generators. If he swapped out the 4-wire for a 3-wire, I wonder which leads he hooked up to the receptacle.

          Depending on which way he wired it, and what load he fed with it, there's a possibility of damage.

          Hank

          Comment


          • #6
            No big deal. If he put the ground wire (green) on the groung lug (green) and capped the neutral it will work fine. If your equipment is 3 wire why screw with a pigtail that can get lost or left behind. Do it right. If you don't know how, hire an electrician.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by holsters View Post
              No big deal. If he put the ground wire (green) on the groung lug (green) and capped the neutral it will work fine. If your equipment is 3 wire why screw with a pigtail that can get lost or left behind. Do it right. If you don't know how, hire an electrician.
              Yes, it would very likely work, just may not be safe. If you were running a single piece of 230 volt equipement that would be true and safe. If you were running a dryer that wouldn't necessarily be safe. Even if the dryer were wired for three wires, still not safe. Electric range, not safe. Feeding multiple 120 volt circuits, not safe. So it really does matter what is being done.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Sberry View Post
                I didn't look it thru completely but Mr handyman there has fooled with the grounding by changing the recept on that unit, buyer beware.
                Whos to say that the seller is not a licenced electrician or power worker?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Generator

                  Sh@t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                    Yes, it would very likely work, just may not be safe. If you were running a single piece of 230 volt equipement that would be true and safe. If you were running a dryer that wouldn't necessarily be safe. Even if the dryer were wired for three wires, still not safe. Electric range, not safe. Feeding multiple 120 volt circuits, not safe. So it really does matter what is being done.
                    1) Remember that a generator does not have an "earth ground". The "ground" and the neutral ARE THE SAME. Unless you drive a ground rod and connect the neutral there IS NO GROUND. If you think that because you have a 3 wire 120v receptical on your generator and a three three prong plug on your grinder your grinder is safely grounded, you're wrong.

                    2) If your 230v dryer is designed for three wire, why wouldn't it be safe???
                    ...at least as safe as it could be given that a generator HAS NO EARTH GROUND.

                    3) Before you ask, yes, I've been a licensed journeyman commercial and industrial electrician since 1982.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X
                    Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.