Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Welding Shop

Scott,

I am also building a new shop for hobby welding in the "art" category. My planning includes a Mig welder--probably a Millermatic 180 with a spool gun for aluminum. I also agree with the posts that gas is essential if just for easy bending of materials and braze welding. I plan an getting a very good hydraulic-lowering horizontal band saw from Grizzly tools v. a chop saw. A band saw makes very clean angled and straight cuts. I am a little afraid of the sparks from an ordinary chop saw setting my new place on fire. They do make a "cold cut" chop saw (about $500) but the blades cost over $100. I don't know how long the blades last either. Yes, yes--get 2 fire extinguishers. That's the first thing I got. I also plan on getting a plasma cutter for fabrication work. I will probably get the Miller that cuts up to 3/8 in. I doubt if I'll ever cut anything that heavy but at least the capacity is there. Not sure about stick. In the first place it is very dirty. I have put in a 24" x 24" fan to vent the shop but don't know if even that will do the job. So that's my take. I expect to make some mistakes but hopefully I can recover. I got 50 C-clamps and vise grips from a welder that quit the business. I paid $30. A good deal. Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by cpbeattie View Post
      Scott,

I am also building a new shop for hobby welding in the "art" category. My planning includes a Mig welder--probably a Millermatic 180 with a spool gun for aluminum. I also agree with the posts that gas is essential if just for easy bending of materials and braze welding. I plan an getting a very good hydraulic-lowering horizontal band saw from Grizzly tools v. a chop saw. A band saw makes very clean angled and straight cuts. I am a little afraid of the sparks from an ordinary chop saw setting my new place on fire. They do make a "cold cut" chop saw (about $500) but the blades cost over $100. I don't know how long the blades last either. Yes, yes--get 2 fire extinguishers. That's the first thing I got. I also plan on getting a plasma cutter for fabrication work. I will probably get the Miller that cuts up to 3/8 in. I doubt if I'll ever cut anything that heavy but at least the capacity is there. Not sure about stick. In the first place it is very dirty. I have put in a 24" x 24" fan to vent the shop but don't know if even that will do the job. So that's my take. I expect to make some mistakes but hopefully I can recover. I got 50 C-clamps and vise grips from a welder that quit the business. I paid $30. A good deal. Chuck
      If yer worried about sparks from your chopsaw then you might re-think the plasma cutter while you are at it as well.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
      Miller WC-115-A
      Miller Spectrum 300
      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

If yer worried about sparks from your chopsaw then you might re-think the plasma cutter while you are at it as well.

good point, the plasma is going to threw not only lots os sparks but small to med. sized blobs of molten steel. you might consider a 4'X4' or 4'X8' pice of 16 or 18 gage steel plate to put under the cuting station.
        thanks for the help
        ......or..........
        hope i helped
        sigpic
        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
        JAMES

Comment

Working...
        X