X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SavageSunJeep
    started a topic MIG welding stainless

MIG welding stainless

Can I do MIG on SS. I have a very small project with not more than a couple of inches of bead and it would be SS to SS about 1/16th?

• SavageSunJeep
    replied
    LOL, good reading here on Sun morn. All my friends are Jeepers no golfers for sure.

Splatter, sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't, cannot say for sure why. But for aboout $25 bucks or so I can fix your splatter problems forever.

1) Harbor Fright angle grinder w/60 grit flap sander wheel

2) Harbor Fright angle grinder w/steel wire wheel

Total cost about $25, my problem solved, LOL.

Leave a comment:

• chrisgay@sbcglo
    replied
    I get alot of spatter no matter what I do. I could use some advice on that if anyone has any. It drives my machinists crazy.[/QUOTE]

Anti-spatter spray?

SavageSunJeep, get 'er done with what you got and post a pic.
    Forget about welding, can you just bolt it on?

Leave a comment:

• 2much2do
    replied
    for that little bit, give the C25 a shot. I've used it with good results, but I was just welding stainless onto a mild steel bearing surface to be machined down. I prefer the tri-mix, but for a small weld, will not go through the B.S. of switching the tank. Also if you're worried about spatter protect the surrounding metal well. I get alot of spatter no matter what I do. I could use some advice on that if anyone has any. It drives my machinists crazy.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    Your buddies are jeepers, if they notice, give 'em a beer. If they're golfers, they don't know what a weld is.

LOL great thinking.
    if rust is not a problem just hit them with steel solid wire and C-25 and they will hold fine.

Leave a comment:

• Craig in Denver
    replied
    Originally posted by SavageSunJeep View Post
    I live in a desert.

I have got 2 fixed wheels on my SS BBQ and they roll in the wrong direction, gonna cut them off and rotate them 90 degrees...
    You live in a desert, it's a BBQ. Cut 'em, rotate 'em, weld 'em. Your buddies are jeepers, if they notice, give 'em a beer. If they're golfers, they don't know what a weld is.

Leave a comment:

• SavageSunJeep
    replied
    Originally posted by fun4now View Post
    keep in mind without the proper gas and wire you may get hold but will not get weather proof. if you want to keep it rust free you need to do it right. or paint after to rust proof.
    LOL thanks James, but rusting out is the least of my worries.

I live in a desert

I have got 2 fixed wheels on my SS BBQ and they roll in the wrong direction, gonna cut them off and rotate them 90 degrees...

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    keep in mind without the proper gas and wire you may get hold but will not get weather proof. if you want to keep it rust free you need to do it right. or paint after to rust proof.

Leave a comment:

• StillBoostin
    replied
    Originally posted by Iron Head
    For a 2-inch weld on MS or SS, I won’t twist the top on a gas bottle.
    Thats funny. I bought all three( Tri-Mix, 75%-25%, and Argon) so I would never have this problem. I recc tri-mix. Get a 20cf bottle. You might need it sooner then you think.

James

Leave a comment:

• hogan
    replied
    SMAW will never die, i agree. Like the vacuum tube, it has it's uses. Although there are easier and more efficient methods that are improved and accepted as industry standard.

Leave a comment:

• lanceman73
    replied
    tig is 100% argon. Tri-Mix only for mig. Sorry, that guy that recommends c25. I've done plenty with argon using tig.

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Originally posted by SavageSunJeep View Post
    OK, I am running C25 all the time, thanks, appreciate the answer...
    I use 75/25 for my ss projects, its not textbook but i am not building rocket ships....Bob

Leave a comment:

• hogan
    replied
    argon 2 - 5% CO2

here is a link with good info on ss welding

http://www.weldreality.com/stainlesswelddata.htm

Leave a comment:

• SavageSunJeep
    replied
    I think I will try it with what I have, can't justify the cots to buy all the other stuff for for this small and personal job...just trying to turn the fixed roller wheels (2) on one end of my BBQ so I can slide it out of its hole in the outside counter.

Before I had the counter built it was not big deal, but now it is.

Leave a comment:

• kelzweld
    replied
    All the stainless I've migged, whether with fluxcore or solid wire, has been done with pure argon. Results have been pretty good, if you don't mind a little splatter.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X