Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have plans for an O/A cart? Are there any here on the projects board?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have plans for an O/A cart? Are there any here on the projects board?

I am looking at buying a couple bottles this weekend, and it would be fun breaking in my new welders by making a cart for my O/A setup. Any plans or pics with dims would be great.

Thanks!

what size tanks are you getting ??
    i ahve a small set i built a cart for but if you have larger tanks it might be better to just buy HF's $35 version as it will be more $ to build it your self, unless you just want to build one. again what size tanks will be needed to help build a cart to fit.
    do a serch you will likely fine many here and at the ask andy site.
    Attached Files

Comment

Here's a pic of the tanks I am looking at. He is asking $400, they are supposedly big ones, and full. This seems a little high to me, what do you think? Thanks!
      Attached Files

Comment

if the reg's and torch set comes with it its not too bad. if its just the tanks i think i would pass and get a set localy. also be shore to check and see if you can get your LWS to fill them. they may be picky about this.
        i would not call them big ones by any means. at first glance it looks like a B acet. and an 80 oxy. that being the case you could get them at your LWS for less. thats what i have. but its hard to tell in the pic. also i dont have the 80 in the pic i showed as its an old pic. i'll get you a new pic today soem time. again it all depends on if the gages and torch es and hoses come with it, if its a compleat package and they are not e-bay cheepo stuff its an ok deel. if its e-bay look-a-likes for torch and gages, run dont walk away run screaming from the building like it was on fire. leave him standing there with a torch in his hand wondering whats the matter with that guy, even more so if you screem "FIRE" on the way out.
        sereously though do not get e-bay cheepos when it comes to torches. you can get a set of med. duty ones at TSC for about $160 i think it was and thats the cheapest i would go on a torch set. well the cheapest i would go now. i tryed a e-bay special and it burned back all the way to the regulators and they were black into the reg's. scary to think how close ly i came to going boom!!! i now have real victors and am verry happy with them.

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
          if the reg's and torch set comes with it its not too bad. if its just the tanks i think i would pass and get a set localy. also be shore to check and see if you can get your LWS to fill them. they may be picky about this.
          i would not call them big ones by any means. at first glance it looks like a B acet. and an 80 oxy. that being the case you could get them at your LWS for less. thats what i have. but its hard to tell in the pic. also i dont have the 80 in the pic i showed as its an old pic. i'll get you a new pic today soem time. again it all depends on if the gages and torch es and hoses come with it, if its a compleat package and they are not e-bay cheepo stuff its an ok deel. if its e-bay look-a-likes for torch and gages, run dont walk away run screaming from the building like it was on fire. leave him standing there with a torch in his hand wondering whats the matter with that guy, even more so if you screem "FIRE" on the way out.
          sereously though do not get e-bay cheepos when it comes to torches. you can get a set of med. duty ones at TSC for about $160 i think it was and thats the cheapest i would go on a torch set. well the cheapest i would go now. i tryed a e-bay special and it burned back all the way to the regulators and they were black into the reg's. scary to think how close ly i came to going boom!!! i now have real victors and am verry happy with them.
          Actually, it's just for the tanks no regs included. My guess is they are approx 48" and 24" tall, based on the size of the tires and compressor in the background, and come to think of it, that doesn't seem all that big to me. How big are the ones you mentioned that you can't get locally, are they still 48" but just larger diameter, or taller as well? This is a pain, as I want big ones, but I want to own them...

Comment

i'll stick a tape on them later for ya.
            again be shore you can get them filled befor buying, lots of places wont take others tanks, even with purchase recept. i have to drive 100mil. round trip to fill mine.

Comment

tanks

alha, It appears to me in the picture the bottles are a 40 c.f acet. and an 80 c.f. oxy. 400.00 is way too much for those bottles.I think I only paid 140.00 for my 80c.f. bottle. Check with your local welding supplier or you can check out Indiana Oxygen Supply on the internet. They were cheaper with shipping included than any of my local suppliers. And I also agree with fun4now about the price and time of building a cart compared to buying one pre-made, Unless of course your just cheap like me and hate to spend money on things you can do yourself. Dave

I've added some pictures of the welding cart I built
              Attached Files
              Last edited by dabar39; 06-09-2007, 08:34 AM. Reason: added pictures

Comment

Originally posted by dabar39 View Post
                alha, It appears to me in the picture the bottles are a 40 c.f acet. and an 80 c.f. oxy. 400.00 is way too much for those bottles.I think I only paid 140.00 for my 80c.f. bottle. Check with your local welding supplier or you can check out Indiana Oxygen Supply on the internet. They were cheaper with shipping included than any of my local suppliers. And I also agree with fun4now about the price and time of building a cart compared to buying one pre-made, Unless of course your just cheap like me and hate to spend money on things you can do yourself. Dave

I've added some pictures of the welding cart I built
                Dave, nice work, appears you modified a shopping cart, that was creative! I might just end up buying one myself, cuz at this time, I am pretty limited in both my abilities, thought I suppose doing it would be good practice, and more so in time. I believe you're right, those sure don't look all that big, nothing special. I did check IOS, their largest available was an 80, I will try calling them on Monday to see if they can special order a bigger one, like a 150-160, something like that.

It would just be nicer to have only one bottle instead of 2, but that brings up something else. Say I find a bigger bottle that I am looking for, will most carts I would find be able to handle it, or will I have to end up making it anyways? Thanks again for the input

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                  .... i have to drive 100mil. round trip to fill mine.
                  Yet Another reason to get em as big as I can find. Not a fan of leasing, they are more than happy to do a 5 year lease for about $180 or so, but just won't sell em. Maybe IOS will be able to help me, otherwise I'll have to check other gas suppliers. _Someone_ must want to take my money.. Geeze

Comment

yep iyts frustraiting as all h-LL . i saw about to cut my brand new tanks up to make gongs because i could not find any one willing to fill them. i just dont usnderstand why they dont want my $$ to fillthe thing. why do they have to get $36 a year to give you the right to buy gas from them, its just stupid and caust my LWS all my buisness. now whatever i need i just get it when i go for gas in rochester. and the local guy looses out. all over $36 rental.

sorry i forgot my tanks pic. the oxy is 36" a 80 cft tank. 48" is a 125 or 150 depending on how big around but from the pic i would guess 125.
                    big enough to cause problems filling. i would look around find some one willing to sell and fill for you . i did find another guy here in rochester willing to sell me any size i want, but as i already had the tanks i had to find some one to fill them.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by fun4now; 06-09-2007, 04:50 PM. Reason: forgott tanks pic's

Comment

bottle leases

Down here in Florida, or at least in my area, they will not sell any owner bottles over 80 c.f., the 120c.f. and above are lease only for some reason. I have owned my tanks for many years and they were bought when I was up north. The only company around here that will exchange them for me is AIRGAS, no one else will touch them for me. And on more than one occasion they gave me a hard time and tried to tell me I could'nt own the bottles, that they are rental bottles. I'm lucky that I have saved all the receipts for everything I buy, as I've almost lost the tanks a couple of times.
                      Yes, that was a shopping cart a one time that I converted into the welding cart. Dave

Comment

its all a bunch of garbage. steel prices would make the tanks more expensive not lease only. thay all just want to stick it to ya and take your $$ for nothing.

Comment

Yeah, that's kinda what I thought, too. It didn't make any logical sense to connect steel prices with being able to purchase, I think there is more going on there than meets the eye. I will have to speak to someone higher up if I really want to get a straight answer to the why, but I might have to take my business somewhere that wants it if I want to purchase a bigger one. It shouldn't be this difficult, one would think.

I used to work in IT, and if someone told me that to get their biggest and baddest server, I would have to lease it from them instead of purchasing it, I would laugh at them. True, not an apples to apples comparison, but they have a product, and I would like to purchase it, not get it on loan from them for a set period of time, for a set recurring fee.

Comment

Hey Al,

This might not fit your specific needs but is an O/A cart I designed and built a few years ago. I use it mostly for brazing as it has an integrated Gasfluxer unit but it is easy to swap it over to just O/A when needed. Two torches can be used at the same time, one on either side, and I incorporated gassaver units to ignite the torches.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Here are some pics of my cart. The tool box on top is removable. I useed a 2" ratchet strap to hold the tanks, and there is room for the safety caps. You can't see it, but there is also an eyebolt that lets me use a chain fall to raise the whole thing off the ground for easy loading into a truck.

And this is one that my Dad built. The handles are a little too short for me, but the big wheels make it easy to roll on uneven ground.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.