Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Todays job

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Todays job

Today i installed a pintle plate in a F-800 dump truck for a customer.Here are some pics, including a few of my mag drill.
    Attached Files

good job!

looks like a lot of fun to me!

Comment

Nice job...Bob

Comment

I used to like putting on hitches as i did hundreds of them. My grand dad was an early pioneer of the truck hitch back when you couldn't run and buy one off the shelf....Bob
        http://www.google.com/patents?id=C31...ey+truck+hitch

Comment

Admweld, thanks for sharing your work.

Bob, thanks for sharing your history... that's pretty cool stuff. I like the drawings.

Comment

Very nice work. I like it.

The ones that I have built up here are much the same, with a couple of extra steps - Everything built for the oilpatch, construction, or forestry.

On the winch tractor tow aprons, we run 3/4" plate for the apron, then wrap the lower edge and sides with flat bar. Anything from 3/4" x 4" to 1" x 3" depending on customer.

Gravel truck and log truck tow aprons same thing. Depending on who you work for, and their particular "spec".... I have seen the apron wraps as deep as 4" around the bottom edge, and 6" to 12" deep at the top where it attaches to main frame.

Winch tractor aprons are welded to the ramp/roll assembley then bolted on. Some weld them to the frame, but I don't - They are a nightmare to repair.

Gravel truck and log truck aprons are usually part of a removable frame insert.

I see that your pintle hitch is quite high, so the reinforcement that I do here is unneccessary in your application.

You ever use the pintle hitch with the air-activated slack compensator??? A little extra work but the end product is nice to tow with - No hammering.

Don't mind me, I'm rambling tonight.

Nice work. Keep it up.

Gotta love Mag Drills.

Comment

I haven't used a mag drill in years and Black Wolf is right you gotta love em!!!
              Great job on the hitch!

Comment

I have not used a air slack hitch but have installed 40ton ring with a heavyduty spring built on the back side to absorb shock.These usally go in 10whlr or tri-axle applications and those run with 1"or 3/4" plate.Also thanks for the compliments guys.Just another day here at shop.

Comment

Nice work,,,,,,,,,,,,,B,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Comment

Originally posted by batman View Post
                    Nice work,,,,,,,,,,,,,B,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
                    Thanks batman

Comment

Great work! I have to fab and install one on my dad's Ford L8000 dump. I'm not quite sure how thick is apropriate though. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm not quite sure just what factors I need to consider in the design process But I have a general Idea of what to do.

Comment

nice looking thanks for the pics.
                        We have all 15 and 25 ton pintle hooks with spring cushion where I work. Pretty tough, but they do work on them as some trucks pull a trailer almost everyday.
                        Good job

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Head
                          I would think 3/4-inch at least! But one may be able to go thinner with the proper design. Skip weld say 3/4 x 2-inch flatbar criss-crossed on the backside, (like an X). Any thinner than 3/4-inch plate and I would be thinking on the lines of a * pattern. A truck that size I would go with 3/4-inch plate, and still weld strong backs on the backside. Could also look at welding or bolting a diagonal brace from the backside of the pintle hitch back to a cross member in the truck frame. Or go with a < shape and bolt into the truck frame in two places.
                          If you dont have a proven design it is easier to over do it at first, than repair it later!
                          Thanks for the advice! My dad has a general idea of how to do it but there's some key strength requirements that he dosn't know how to design. I'll ask him what his load requirements are to get a better idea.

Comment

He said he would like to set it up for a 30 Ton trailer. I'm thinking 7/8" plate would work well but I'm not quite sure.

Comment

7/8" would be fine for 30 ton.Just add gussets add weld it up good.Good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.