No announcement yet.

Build your own service truck!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you running for the inverter? I have been looking at the 3000W/6000W Vectors for my new truck. Really want something that I can direct wire the outlets for as opposed to something that has direct plugs. How much power can you get from yours and do you have extra batteries for it? I'll take any info or suggestions that you might have on a inverter system.

BTW I'll post some pict of my custom truck. Other than the sliding roof it looks somewhat similar to what you built with out the under floor storage. I opted out on that and wish I hadn't. Alum Ladder rack is in the works right now if i can get a few days of decent weather to work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	side.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	501301

Name:	rear view.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	501302

Name:	top.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	501303

Name:	rear open.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	501304

I keep looking at the posibility of undermounting some air storage tanks but don't need that much mobile air very frequently. I should be able to run the small comp or my gas comp if I need to or use my big HP air bottles if I had no other choice.

Comment

Really nice job on this body. You even added the small yellow marker lights down the side and a rubber wheel well flare and those brush strips. Very nice. Alot of planning and work went into this.
      Millermatic 185 + Shopping cart .. cart
      Metabo 4 1/2" grinders.
      Milwaukee v18 cordless drills and jobsite radio!

Comment

Inverter

I'm using a Power Bright 3500w/7000w inverter with four 15 amp outlets. I use plugs and short jumpers to go to a pull box. As for batteries, I've got three dedicated 31 series AGM cell batteries for the inverter and have a switch that'll connect the front three truck batteries with the inverter batteries. And I use the trucks 115 amp alternator to charge them. I also use 110v battery charger that is mounted near the inverter and has an outlet on the rear of the truck to charging at night.
        Thanks,
        Lance
        Attached Files
        Last edited by lanceman73; 05-21-2008, 08:14 AM.
        Millermatic 210
        Syncrowave 200
        Spectrum 625 X-treme
        Hobart Champion 16 W/
        Miller 8VS Suitcase
        Miller 3035 Spool Gun
        Tons of Tools
        Microwave
        Laptop and Printer
        Speakers in the Back for all to hear Sirius Radio!

Comment

Thanks, nice set up. Any idea how long you can use the inverter before the bats drain down? I know I have a heavy alt on the truck and its been suggested to idle the truck when I want to run the invereter. Just trying to figure out how many bats I would need and what size. I was thinking about the onboard battery charger idea also. Probably putting way too much thought and effort in this, but I want to do it right the first time. My gen set takes up too much space to drag it around on a regular basis.

Comment

Inverter

On my old service truck, I had my welder/generator and a 3000w generator because I always need 110 volts. I got tried of the noise and having to worry about gas and oil changes. I've not had to start the truck and run it while using the inverter. Most jobs for me, last from 1 to 4 hours then I drive to the next one. I do have my welder/generator to use as backup and everything is hard wired with a switch box that you can see above my toolbox. I run a 15amp vacuum pump, 4" grinders, recovery unit and microwave with no problems all day. The guy at the battery warehouse said that the alternater wouldn't charge the batteries as much as a 110v battery charger.
            Thanks,
            Lance
            Millermatic 210
            Syncrowave 200
            Spectrum 625 X-treme
            Hobart Champion 16 W/
            Miller 8VS Suitcase
            Miller 3035 Spool Gun
            Tons of Tools
            Microwave
            Laptop and Printer

Comment

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

Comment

great job.
                you should get many years of use out of that baby.
                thanks for the help
                ......or..........
                hope i helped
                sigpic
                feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
                summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                JAMES

Comment

I love it. How did you make those doors or did you buy them?

James
                  Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
                  WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
                  Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
                  20Ton press
                  And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
                  www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Comment

Doors

I framed the doors to the openings using 1/8" spacers and alot of clamps. Tacked everything and sent them to sheet metal shop to break the 14ga. steel around them. Once I got them back, I slowly spot welded them to the frame from the inside first. Since I don't have a large welding table to clamp them to, I spent about a day on each door. I ruined the first one, because I went to fast and warped it. On the 14ga. inside panel, I plug welded against the two inside 3/4" bars that brace the door handle assembly. I think that I probably spent 15 to 20 hours per door. There are a total of 10 doors! I used the weld on hinges from my local welding supplier. The doors weighed about 80lbs. each on average. The hinges I used were rated at about 300lbs. or so each.
                    Thanks,
                    Lance
                    Last edited by lanceman73; 05-23-2008, 07:06 PM.
                    Millermatic 210
                    Syncrowave 200
                    Spectrum 625 X-treme
                    Hobart Champion 16 W/
                    Miller 8VS Suitcase
                    Miller 3035 Spool Gun
                    Tons of Tools
                    Microwave
                    Laptop and Printer

Comment

Originally posted by lanceman73 View Post
                      I framed the doors to the openings using 1/8" spacers and alot of clamps. Tacked everything and sent them to sheet metal shop to break the 14ga. steel around them. Once I got them back, I slowly spot welded them to the frame from the inside first. Since I don't have a large welding table to clamp them to, I spent about a day on each door. I ruined the first one, because I went to fast and warped it. On the 14ga. inside panel, I plug welded against the two inside 3/4" bars that brace the door handle assembly. I think that I probably spent 15 to 20 hours per door. There are a total of 10 doors! I used the weld on hinges from my local welding supplier. The doors weighed about 80lbs. each on average. The hinges I used were rated at about 300lbs. or so each.
                      Thanks,
                      Lance
                      Wow that is a lot of work. The truck is sweet. One day I'll have someting like yours. Thanks for the build up picks. You must have a minimum of a 1000hrs in this bad boy. Add a boy, and you the man sayings are well in order. And you can toot your own horn now too!

James
                      Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
                      WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
                      Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
                      20Ton press
                      And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
                      www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Comment

It Was!

A lot of work, but kind of worth it.
                        Originally posted by StillBoostin View Post
                        Wow that is a lot of work. The truck is sweet. One day I'll have someting like yours. Thanks for the build up picks. You must have a minimum of a 1000hrs in this bad boy. Add a boy, and you the man sayings are well in order. And you can toot your own horn now too!

James
                        Millermatic 210
                        Syncrowave 200
                        Spectrum 625 X-treme
                        Hobart Champion 16 W/
                        Miller 8VS Suitcase
                        Miller 3035 Spool Gun
                        Tons of Tools
                        Microwave
                        Laptop and Printer

Comment

How did you atach the outside skin of the body to the tubular frame?

Comment

Skin!

Welded it just at the corner of the square tubing and ground it down. Went through tons of wheel and sanding discs!!!!
                            Millermatic 210
                            Syncrowave 200
                            Spectrum 625 X-treme
                            Hobart Champion 16 W/
                            Miller 8VS Suitcase
                            Miller 3035 Spool Gun
                            Tons of Tools
                            Microwave
                            Laptop and Printer

Comment

Lance Man you did an awsome job, I have built 6 welding rigs over the years 5 for myself and one for a friend of mine who is a pipe welder.

So I am certainly someone who can appreciate the job you did.

You are certainly a craftsman.

The nice thing about a truck like yours is the instant respect you get from your customers when you can roll up and tell them you built your truck and that you will be working on their equipment.
                              At that point they have all the faith in the world about your ability and will never second guess you.

Its also nice having a custom built truck that suits your needs instead of having to make due with something close.

Comment

Thanks to All!

Listen,

I had a idea and went with it. Like Miller says "Drean It, Weld It", so I did. In our awesome advanced world of America, we have the oppertunity to do anything! In my own home I did this, instead of spending $50K to $80K on a body, you can build it!! We are the greatest country in the world, because we have these choises and resources! Never forget how this country was forged! It was the minds of free men and we will never stop as long as we have our freedom!! Thank you to all our military and all our veterans! I salute you forever!

We are America!
                                Lance
                                Last edited by lanceman73; 05-02-2009, 06:07 PM.
                                Millermatic 210
                                Syncrowave 200
                                Spectrum 625 X-treme
                                Hobart Champion 16 W/
                                Miller 8VS Suitcase
                                Miller 3035 Spool Gun
                                Tons of Tools
                                Microwave
                                Laptop and Printer

Comment

Working...
                                X