No announcement yet.

Build your own service truck!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeff for someone who isn't a professional welder I'd say that's super. What do you usually do?

Went back and took another look at the picts after you posted this. The reason you used a skin over frame design suddenly made sense to me. This is opposed to the skin being the structure as it is in my truck.

I toyed around with the idea of building or modifying a body to fit my old truck, but lack the space build it and the equipment to set it once built. Lot of time and effort into that body of yours but you got what you wanted I hope.

Any idea how much time you have in building it? How much in materials? Just curious to compare it with what I paid to have mine custom built.

Comment

Cost of materials

I spent $5K in metal. Payed $1600 for a sheet metal company to supply and break the 14 ga. around the door and make the dip rails for me. I went though about 50 lbs. of wire and 4 100 cf. bottles of mig mix.
      Millermatic 210
      Syncrowave 200
      Spectrum 625 X-treme
      Hobart Champion 16 W/
      Miller 8VS Suitcase
      Miller 3035 Spool Gun
      Tons of Tools
      Microwave
      Laptop and Printer
      Speakers in the Back for all to hear Sirius Radio!

Comment

I looked at those pictures again and I am impressed with the thought given to the layout.
        The thing that I wonder about is those blue bins...If they were in my truck, they would all be in a pile in the bottom of the compartment You must have smooth driving conditions.

Let's see the complete unit!
        Jeff

Comment

Akro Bins

These bin hold stuff pretty good. I do put some of the small parts in bags.
          Millermatic 210
          Syncrowave 200
          Spectrum 625 X-treme
          Hobart Champion 16 W/
          Miller 8VS Suitcase
          Miller 3035 Spool Gun
          Tons of Tools
          Microwave
          Laptop and Printer

Comment

So, what is it that you do?
            Jeff

Comment

5K not to bad considering that a cheap body for my F250 would go 5-7K. My custom body for the new truck was close to 25K. I agree it looks well laid out. Since you built it yourself you should have no problems making small mods as you learn what needs to be changed. I haven't yet brought myself to do more than drill a few small holes in my new body for tie down rings. I'm thinking about under floor storage for the ramps that I passed on when I had the truck built. Can't quite bring my self to start cutting up the new truck just yet.

Still would like to see a good shot of the truck from the sides to get an overall look at it.

Comment

awesome work I like it

Comment

To Jeff

I install and repair A/C systems in heavy equipment and trucks. That's why I decided to build my own body. I have unique needs and most service bodies are set up with a crane. I needed a lot of storage for all the parts that I carry.
                  Thanks,
                  Lance
                  Millermatic 210
                  Syncrowave 200
                  Spectrum 625 X-treme
                  Hobart Champion 16 W/
                  Miller 8VS Suitcase
                  Miller 3035 Spool Gun
                  Tons of Tools
                  Microwave
                  Laptop and Printer

Comment

more pics of it finished, that looks real good just from the pics shown so far. how many hours do you have into it?

Comment

As others have said. More pictures of the completed truck.
                      Millermatic 185 + Shopping cart .. cart
                      Metabo 4 1/2" grinders.
                      Milwaukee v18 cordless drills and jobsite radio!

Comment

How to add pics?

I'm new to this forum and another person added all the pics on here for me. How do you do it?

Thanks,
                        Lance
                        Millermatic 210
                        Syncrowave 200
                        Spectrum 625 X-treme
                        Hobart Champion 16 W/
                        Miller 8VS Suitcase
                        Miller 3035 Spool Gun
                        Tons of Tools
                        Microwave
                        Laptop and Printer

Comment

Lance This thread will give you an idea how to resize your picts so you can post them.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...t=resize+picts

You need to have resized your picts and saved them on your computer where you can find them. Go to Reply and scroll down below the text box. There is a section on Aditional Options. Select Manage attachments. click on this. At the top is a section that says Upload file from your computer. Click browse, and find your pict then hit upload. As long as the pict isn't to large it will show up on the list below. Then Above the text box click on the paperclip and select the pict you want to insert in the text.

If you can't get it to work shoot me the picts and I will post them again for you. Pm me if you need my email again.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks DSW!

More Pics of truck
                            Attached Files
                            Millermatic 210
                            Syncrowave 200
                            Spectrum 625 X-treme
                            Hobart Champion 16 W/
                            Miller 8VS Suitcase
                            Miller 3035 Spool Gun
                            Tons of Tools
                            Microwave
                            Laptop and Printer

Comment

I see it worked! Thanks for the 3rd pict, its alot easier to see the whole layout and understand it better. Do the compartments go up into the top section above the doors or is that load space accesible from above the bed? If its all one space why not just have made the doors taller?

The more and more I look at the picts the better it looks. I was taking a closer look at the doors and if I didn't know better I would swear it was a commercially built truck!
                              Last edited by DSW; 05-20-2008, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Top Space

In the top spaces above the rear doors, are thirty gallon air tanks. I built a York A/C compressor to pump air from the engine and also have a electrical 2 HP compressor that runs off the inverter. The large front double doors on both sides are usable through the doors. As the pic shows on the one side, the welder goes up to the top and on the other side, i've got tie downs, my A/C gauges sets, and alarm set up. I also installed an auto drain for the tanks. It runs on DC and is programalbe from intervals and drain time.

Thanks,
                                Lance
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by lanceman73; 05-24-2008, 01:57 AM.
                                Millermatic 210
                                Syncrowave 200
                                Spectrum 625 X-treme
                                Hobart Champion 16 W/
                                Miller 8VS Suitcase
                                Miller 3035 Spool Gun
                                Tons of Tools
                                Microwave
                                Laptop and Printer

Comment

Working...
                                X