Never been so busy....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never been so busy....

Haven't been here in about 3 weeks. What's going on? Our shop is maxed out, stressed out, tapped out and completely overwhelmed! I think there was a time back in the early 90's when we were up against it, but nothing like this. We hired three new guys one green horn welder and two fabricates and we are still swamped! We have one motel, one hotel, a condo complex (14 units) and 3 custom homes all going on at once and we just ordered another 45 tons of steel! Our salesman is a dead man! I think we are going to make it though. We have been on the verge of automation for the past year or so and this job has pushed our limits of manual welding (repetitive jig type) to the point we have dercided to go robotic. It looks like we will go with a Panasonic TA-1600 with the Tawers controller and Fronius power and feed. Been looking at this combo for a while. Anyway just had a little time to sip a brew and check in with ya all. Will keep you posted on how this thing works out. Still haven't finished my personal welding table

TacMig
    Attached Files
    We depend On:
    Miller | Esab | Lincoln | Fronius
    Baileigh | Drake | Eagle | Knuth
    Victor | Harris | Smith | Bessey
    Snap-On | Hilti | Ingersoll Rand
    Burco/Koco | Onan | BobCat
    Tracker | Infratrol | AmeriCast

We belong to or support:
    American National Standards Institute
    American Welding Society
    The Welding Institute
    Fabricators & Manufacturing Association Int'l.

Anderson & Co. LLC
    Metal Cr
    afters

Get 'er done

Hi Tacmig,

Congratulations on being so busy. Be careful what you wish for, right?
    I'm slammed, too.

What kind of work do you for your customers? Or, what do your current projects consist of?
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

Comment

TacMig On Break:
      LMAO!! Thanks for the pic.
      RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
      sigpic

Comment

The first welding job I ever worked for just bought a $900,000 laser about a month before I started. About 3 months after I started they slowed down so much they were practicly in reverse! The laser put them so over the top because of the slow down that they had to lay of about 75% of there workforce.

Comment

Loved the pic, probably woke my wife up I laughed so hard!!!
          Glad to hear your busy, let us know how the robotics works out... oh and don't forget to show us pics!!!
          at home:
          2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
          2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
          2008 Suitcase 12RC
          Spoolmatic 30A
          WC-24
          2009 Dynasty 200DX
          2000 XMT 304
          2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
          Sold:MM130XP
          Sold:MM 251
          Sold:CST 280

at work:
          Invision 350MP
          Dynasty 350
          Millermatic 350P
          Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

glad to hear buis. is booming.
            great pic. is that a taste test, or just a realy thursty easy to please fella ??
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
            JAMES

Comment

Tacmig, same here....LOVE your pic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Chris, so glas you are busy too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now will BOTH of you start showing pics of your new projects??!!!!!
              I'm not late...
              I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

tacmig, I"m guessing the robotics you want to buy is WAY better than a plasmacam???
                I'm not late...

Comment

I used to love Old Style beer! Cant find it here in Ca.
                  Congratulations on being so busy! Its nice to hear about someone doing well with so much doom and gloom going around...
                  Dynasty 200 DX
                  Lincoln 140
                  O/A
                  Gradatim vincimus
                  "We conquer by degrees."

Comment

Way to go tacmig glad to hear you are busy.I had a really busy winter but 90% of my work is forestry equipment and the canadian forestry industry is totally in the crapper so it has been pretty quit and probably will be all summer at least until fall.
                    Trailblazer 302
                    Suitcase 12vs
                    spoolmatic 3
                    victor journeymanx2
                    esab multimaster260
                    esab handy plasma 550
                    Makita grinders
                    Lathe
                    21cfm honda compressor
                    f350 superduty 4x4
                    Lots of bills lol

Comment

Thanks all....

Thanks to all. We have been very lucky and have been able to stay busy through out the years. Sometimes I take it for granted and understand things could be different. I hope all of you guys stay busy and make good money during this slow time (and when it stabilizes, I hope you all get filthy rich!). It seems that every election year where a new pres is going to be elected everything goes haywire based on uncertainty. Everyone seems to have an answer but I think it will simply go away once we know who's going to lead the greatest country in the world for the next 4 years or so. I will keep you all up to date with the new robot purchase and get some pics for you as it goes along. As of now, we have a meeting with the Panasonic reps in 2 weeks. They are going to watch our production routine to customize the software for our particular needs. In addition I think they will also designate an installation point and make all the arrangements to install the equipment once it is ready for delivery. Our shop welders got a little concerned about possibly being replaced by a robot but this is far from what is going to happen. We are going to send our master welder (Manny) for training on this machine and he will be given this added responsibility and of course more $$. Phil (Shorty) will remain in the shop and back weld non production items. Manual (Nut sack) will be our roamer welder working both in the shop and in the field with the other guys. So, where ever he is needed. We are hoping that in the end, we will be capable of turning out more work with the same effort. Our shop is just like family and no one gets laid-off or fired. If you screw up, we just take you outside and beat the he!! outta ya.

Till next time,
                      TacMig
                      We depend On:

We belong to or support:
                      American Welding Society
                      The Welding Institute

Anderson & Co. LLC
                      Metal Cr
                      afters

Comment

That's bad....

Originally posted by Anti-GMAW View Post
                        The first welding job I ever worked for just bought a $900,000 laser about a month before I started. About 3 months after I started they slowed down so much they were practicly in reverse! The laser put them so over the top because of the slow down that they had to lay of about 75% of there workforce.
                        We have been fortunate and have never had to fire or lay anybody off. Like I said in the previous post "If you mess up, we just take you out side and beat the he!! outta you". Of course we have had a few guys come and go on their own accord. In any event, I think a good policy is to have a machine paid for with current and/or secured job contracts and of course based on previous work. I believe in supply-side economics, but internally I believe in demand-side. In other words buy equipment and upgrades based on your current and past workload not on possible workloads. I think a fatal mistake is trying to create a demand for equipment you have purchased in hopes to sell work you don't have. Anyway, lay-offs are devastating and are usually a result of poor management decisions. I hope you were not part of the lay-offs! If so, I hope you got yourself another job. If not, keep your experience in mind.

TacMig
                        We depend On:

We belong to or support:
                        American Welding Society
                        The Welding Institute

Anderson & Co. LLC
                        Metal Cr
                        afters

Comment

Excellent Posts Tacmig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks For Your Words Of Wisdom
                          I'm not late...

Comment

great picture, and even better advice about keeping a business profitable.
                            Read or submit reviews of Lincoln, Hobart and Miller Welders atThe Welder Shop.

Comment

Originally posted by tacmig View Post
                              We have been fortunate and have never had to fire or lay anybody off. Like I said in the previous post "If you mess up, we just take you out side and beat the he!! outta you". Of course we have had a few guys come and go on their own accord. In any event, I think a good policy is to have a machine paid for with current and/or secured job contracts and of course based on previous work. I believe in supply-side economics, but internally I believe in demand-side. In other words buy equipment and upgrades based on your current and past workload not on possible workloads. I think a fatal mistake is trying to create a demand for equipment you have purchased in hopes to sell work you don't have. Anyway, lay-offs are devastating and are usually a result of poor management decisions. I hope you were not part of the lay-offs! If so, I hope you got yourself another job. If not, keep your experience in mind.

TacMig

Thank you for you'r concern. Unfortunetly I did get laid off and yes I found another job shortly after. They based the decision off there past workload from the decade or so they've been around but unfortunatly they slowed down to about 2-3 new jobs a week compared to there normal 50-60 jobs a week. One day they were so swamped they were turning down work the next day they could barley keep there head above water.They had never been that slow.

Comment

Working...
                              X