Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Railing job

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Railing job

Here,s a few shots of some railings i built and installed.Nothing really fancy but i thought some here may like to see.They are all twisted 1/2"pickets and1"solid sq post,1/2"x1/8 scrolls and cap moulding.This work is very time consuming and i hate bidding it, i always feel i cut myself short.Anyone else doing railings feel the same?I am very fanatical when building and installing which is probably why i feel i am always over on time.Ok enough of me whinning, lets hear it guys.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by admweld; 05-04-2008, 07:54 PM.

Nice job. I hate building railing also. I won't even give quotes anymore and its way too time consuming for me. But i do like how it looks when done...Bob

Comment

I know what yer talkin' about

I never feel like I get my moneys worth when I make railings but I am always proud of how they turn out.
      They just simply do not bring the kind of money they deserve IMO. I have not done one for about 8 years or so now cause I just refuse them. There is better money out there once you get rolling unless you make it your niche'.

Comment

It,s not my niche but i don,t like turning down work.I mostly weld heavy equipment. I also use to turn them down when i started 12 yrs ago but in the last 5 years i have been doing more of them.I got $1700 for these four railings and had about $125 in mat. and maybe 22 hrs total including measuring/fab/install and travel time.
        Last edited by admweld; 05-04-2008, 07:55 PM.

Comment

I think that was a good profit. Down here in AL that would fech $1,200 tops.
          People think wal mart prices and cant comprehend the involved time and labor to build custom railings .

Comment

I agree with fabricator, down here in my area we could never get 70 plus dollars an hour for railings. I just did 28' with a 8' side section and a staircase railing for the same 17 hundred you got. It took about a day and a half to build and a day to paint, customer is a general contractor and was going to have his guys install it to save on the price. All done with 1 1/4" x 14 ga. mild sq. tube for the upper and lower rails and 1/2" x 14 ga. for the rest of it.

Compare yours to mine and tell me who made out better. I still made about 1200 on the job after materials. Dave
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.