The price of gas getting you down? -Back yard refinery-

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bert View Post
    At first I got REALLY pi$$ed when I started reading this thread and thought "HOW DARE THEY TAX ON BIO FUEL!!!!!" But one of the post re: checking the dye, yeah, they fine you big time too if you get caught with marine or farm diesel, because of the road tax stuff...yeesh...oh, btw, don't think they are trying THAT hard in bringing the price of gas down, or finding an alternative fuel source anytime soon!!!!! One of my dad's family members made something in the 60's and I won't need to tell you the rest....After a lot of threatening phone calls and one of his sons died, he dropped the project......We need to be politicians, mostly senators, where their pensions are the same as their salary for life, the I won't bother to find that report in what the Clintons are doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still think this is the best country to live in, just that it's going bad fast.........I deleted the e-mail my mom gave me, but the speaker of the house (the lady) wants to suck more taxes out from us so we can provide the illegal aliens and jobless with money so they can live the American dream like us..............
    horsesh!!!!!!!! I thought the illegal aliens were supposed to be sent back, and the jobless were supposed to find jobs, and the American Dream was to WORK, so you can HAVE the things you want???!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never read the American Dream was to live in America and have all the other people give you money to live the good life!!!!!!!!!!
    One of my new years resolutions was to not talk politics. The doctor says I need to keep my blood pressure down. Just pisses me off whats happening to OUR country! But I will say that as long as the politicians pander for votes it will not change. They spend as much time looking at demographics as they do raising our taxes. Used to be only the Democrats were tax and spend. Now thanks to I feel all hope is lost.....
    Now dont he look goofy?
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Lincoln 140
    O/A
    Gradatim vincimus
    "We conquer by degrees."

Comment

I voted for him, and now feel bad about it, problem is, if the Democrats get in again, watch how so much MORE we will be screwed!!!!!!!!!!
      Ok....I'm finished with the politics....thanks for letting me vent
      I'm not late...
      I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
        you should start collecting the oil now, it will go fast. i picked up 8 55gal 10W30 oil drums from a local farmer. if you have one near you they may well sell you the drums much cheaper than buying tanks from TSC. seems like i paid $5 or $10 each for mine. just make shore the drums are not from chemical use or you could get into handling and disposal problem with hazer duse materials.
        good luck keep us posted.
        I only wish I had the room where
        I live now to do that. Were moving
        this summer after the oldest girl
        finishes high school. Shhhh. Dont
        tell the new landlord were coming...

You see my predicament.
        bedroom;

backyard; (incert Sanford and Son music here)

Garage; (only a one car with five bikes and a few tons of junk)
        Dynasty 200 DX
        Lincoln 140
        O/A
        Gradatim vincimus
        "We conquer by degrees."

Comment

Originally posted by tnjind View Post
          I am looking for a very cheap POS diesel car or truck to run on bio, if I find one then I will start making it again. Diesel here is $4.30 a gallon.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm do you Guys have any idea what we are forced to pay for diesel in the UK?

1.20 a litre at the moment and rising fast
          3.8 litres in a gallon (us Gallons)
          3.8 x 1.20 =4.56

converted into US dollars $9.0008 Going on the yahoo currency convertor

That's basing it on a US gallon at 3.8 litres The gallon we use here is 4.5 litres per gallon (could be a sort of metric gallon not sure)

I get the impression the wages here in the UK pound for Pound are very similar To the U.S.A looking on some prices some have said they managed to charge for jobs.

70% of that fuel cost we pay in tax. Welcome to rip off England!

Maybe its so bad after all?

Not sure about in the states but here diesel is more expensive than gasoline
          (Petrol to me) shows what a rip off it is as diesel is a no where near as refined as petrol and is many refinement stages before you get to petrol out of crude.

Yep like all things in the UK its a rip off. Who wants to visit?

Kind regards from across the pond,

scott

Comment

Originally posted by scott0031 View Post
            Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm do you Guys have any idea what we are forced to pay for diesel in the UK?

1.20 a litre at the moment and rising fast
            3.8 litres in a gallon (us Gallons)
            3.8 x 1.20 =4.56

converted into US dollars $9.0008 Going on the yahoo currency convertor

That's basing it on a US gallon at 3.8 litres The gallon we use here is 4.5 litres per gallon (could be a sort of metric gallon not sure)

I get the impression the wages here in the UK pound for Pound are very similar To the U.S.A looking on some prices some have said they managed to charge for jobs.

70% of that fuel cost we pay in tax. Welcome to rip off England!

Maybe its so bad after all?

Not sure about in the states but here diesel is more expensive than gasoline
            (Petrol to me) shows what a rip off it is as diesel is a no where near as refined as petrol and is many refinement stages before you get to petrol out of crude.

Yep like all things in the UK its a rip off. Who wants to visit?

Kind regards from across the pond,

scott
            Isn't it nice to remember, when the diesel became available at the local gas pumps in the 70's, and the price of gas was $1.50 (just guessing), and diesel was something like $.50/gal??? As the popularity of diesel rose up, so did the price......thank you for "Taking care of the people!!!!!!!!!!"
            I'm not late...

Comment

well this is exactly it, This is what eats me up the most about the rip off prices with diesel. By rights It should be a at least third less than gasoline. That's until the greedy opportunist petrol company ' as you rightly say' saw the rise in diesel vehicles.

As always the governments wont do squat all about it as the more it costs us the more they get for their coffers.

It all stinks in my book. Greed is one of the prime evils in my book and destroys everyday normal people. It creates a vicious circle. One person's greed for something has to be paid for, Which in turn makes the person paying having to make up their money so greed escalates.

Sux!

Glad to say i had my first 200 litres of bio diesel arrive today. Not a huge saving but if it stops the greed monsters getting richer, That's good in my book.

Regards,

Scott

Comment

Scott, sorry to say this, but make sure you pay the appropriate taxes necessary....hate to see you getting busted and paying even MORE money for fines.............
                I'm not late...

Comment

Ah thx But its all totally legitimate taxes paid made under proper legislation, license blah blah all that. Its just a bit cheaper

I don't mess with things like that over here. If your caught its something in the region of $40,000 fine and your car crushed. Not worth the risk. The goverment dont take prisioners here if they are being had over. They kill you outright!

Thanks for your concern.

Kind regards,

Scott
                  Last edited by scott0031; 05-06-2008, 04:29 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Im holding out. Dont throw bricks at me but Im paying $7 a week for gas back and forth to work along with errands. This is on my motorcycle at 47mpg. If I cut back, I can get it down to $3.50 a week. The last 2 weeks, I used 2 gallon in my Blazer. I had to smile today as I passed the gas station, gas came DOWN a whole 2 cents today, does that mean it will go up 4 cents tomorrow
                    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
                    Hobart Handler 187
                    Dewalt Chop Saw
                    4" Air Grinder
                    Die Grinder
                    Rigid Drill Press
                    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Comment

Blue Collar Moto
                      you would have more room if you sent me one of them hog's.i'll give it a loveing home. i have not gotten to play with one in....................... lets just settle on 20 ish + ish..... well you get the idea.
                      so you planing to make the oil/fuel in the bath tub ???

so as we start to hear of the first bio/fuel stations opening up i have to wonder....what taxes are being paid there?? do you still need to keep track and do it on your own or is the pump recept covering it ??
                      thanks for the help
                      ......or..........
                      hope i helped
                      sigpic
                      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
                      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                      JAMES

Comment

fun4now If you sell fuel retail you have to add the tax on at the time of sale. If it will not be taxed then you have to dye it to show that no taxes have been paid. All the bio fuel producers should be taking care of the tax. Your pump reciept should take care of any questions.

If you can't prove you bought it legit then there may be some problems especially if you have a bio setup at home. If you brew it yourself and they dig a little they will be able to prove that you are cheating on the taxes. Most likely there will be a maximum amount that you can produce and not pay the tax. If your records show more raw materials purchased than you can account for then the problems will begin.

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                          Blue Collar Moto
                          you would have more room if you sent me one of them hog's.i'll give it a loveing home. i have not gotten to play with one in....................... lets just settle on 20 ish + ish..... well you get the idea.
                          so you planing to make the oil/fuel in the bath tub ???

so as we start to hear of the first bio/fuel stations opening up i have to wonder....what taxes are being paid there?? do you still need to keep track and do it on your own or is the pump recept covering it ??
                          No bathtub brewing.
                          Were moving to a larger place in the next few months.

As far as the bikes go, they are all for sale after I finish building them. I will be posting pix of the Ironhead in Motorsports in the next few weeks. I'm about ready to weld up the rocker boxes. Still need to chop the frame and splice it back together. Just need to make some plugs for the old oil passages and refill my oxygen bottle. Man, even with an aluminum file it takes for ever to split them and make it look good. Here's a sample.

Yes, I'm using O/A to weld them up. Good opportunity to use my new Cobra torch.
                          Dynasty 200 DX
                          Lincoln 140
                          O/A
                          Gradatim vincimus
                          "We conquer by degrees."

Comment

Originally posted by scott0031 View Post
                            well this is exactly it, This is what eats me up the most about the rip off prices with diesel. By rights It should be a at least third less than gasoline.

Regards,

Scott
                            And how did you come up with the third less than gasoline prices? Just wondering because i make gasoline and diesel and they both take the same amount of processing. And with the new Ultra Low Sulphur diesel comming in the next few years diesel is going to get worse. The off road diesel we have now will be gone, can't be sold. The highway use diesel we have now will become the new off road diesel and the new ULDS will be what you have to buy for on road engines and it takes a whole different process to make...Bob
                            Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                            http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

My off road diesel is no different than the ULSD road diesel. All it is is ULSD (15ppm) with fugitive dye and no road tax. Says so right on the pump and on the MSDS sheets they give us.
                              Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                              '06 12RC feeder
                              Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                              Esab Multimaster 260
                              Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Originally posted by DDA52 View Post
                                My off road diesel is no different than the ULSD road diesel. All it is is ULSD (15ppm) with fugitive dye and no road tax. Says so right on the pump and on the MSDS sheets they give us.
                                Then they must do things different in Texas. But Texas has lots more refining than Ohio so they can waste more ULSD by dying it red and downgrading it i guess.
                                Here the ULSD is 15 ppm which we don't make yet but it will be here in 2009.
                                The High sulfur red dyed diesel is 5,000 ppm.
                                The on road diesel is 500 ppm....Bob
                                Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                                http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Working...
                                X