No announcement yet.

The price of gas getting you down? -Back yard refinery-

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have been burning straight oil, not converting it to bio, just filter it and dump it in the tank. been doing it for 5 years now. the tractor gets up to 50% mix in the tank. the old deere is pretty good on fuel, at 6 gallons per hour if i get 15 gallons a week to toss in the tank it isnt much but it helps.
    use an old milk sock from the dairy pipeline for filtering the oil.

the bigger tractor has a "P" series pump and higher nozzle pressure so it can handle thicker oil in the tank.

the little 4020's have the rotary pump and pencil injectors, they run about 1000psi lower pop pressure, it can handle up to a 25% mix.

starting takes a couple more cranks in the morning. little more blue smoke at idle. gained about 100 rpm in the field. little more black smoke than the newer fuels.

on the new trucks i am not sure how the unit injectors are for sensitivity to any contamination or what not. in theory they should be great for running veggie oil or drain oil since they are at a 25k lbs pop pressure.

Comment

The bio-diesel is a great way to go. I made a kit up to use on our irrigation pumps on our ranch. After you replace your first couple filters you will be fine, and your clogging issues will be long gone with a squeaky clean system. The fuel does eat through some of the older fuel lines quicker than regular diesel but you can buy a couple feet of hos at 4.25 a gallon. You will also notice that your rig will run a little quieter and possibly better on the bio. This new low sulfur crap were getting is hard on our fuel pumps, no lubrication unless you run additives. And as far as the fuel tax goes, play dumb, I think there making enough already. Good luck, Adolf Diesel would be proud

Comment

Playing ignorant will just get you the same ticket. It would put me in jail as I have a signed DD Cert on file with the state. The Dyed Diesel has no road taxes on it. If I get caught using non taxed diesel in a manner that is considered taxable, I'm sunk like the Titanic.....and so is anyone else with a tax free affidavit on file with the states.

The only time they can get you is if you use that stuff on the road. Off road, they can't touch you.
        Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
        '06 12RC feeder
        Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
        Esab Multimaster 260
        Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

I've seen the DOT guys dipping tanks more frequently lately. Hmm... wonder why..... They have definately stepped up looking for drivers using dyed diesel. It wont be long before they look for wvo and bio. The last guy I knew who got nailed for dyed diesel the fine was $10000 for the first offense. They don't issue these guys a sense of humor. You are guilty until proven innocent.

Comment

Originally posted by DSW View Post
            I've seen the DOT guys dipping tanks more frequently lately. Hmm... wonder why..... They have definately stepped up looking for drivers using dyed diesel. It wont be long before they look for wvo and bio. The last guy I knew who got nailed for dyed diesel the fine was $10000 for the first offense. They don't issue these guys a sense of humor. You are guilty until proven innocent.
            Hitler would of been proud.
            Soon enough someones gonna moniteur how many times and with what kind of paper we wipe our arses with.
            Dynasty 200 DX
            Lincoln 140
            O/A
            Gradatim vincimus
            "We conquer by degrees."

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Collar Moto View Post
              Soon enough someones gonna moniteur how many times and with what kind of paper we wipe our arses with.
              Oh I guess you haven't heard that they are all ready doing that!!!

Let us know how your bio diesel experiment turns out. Living in the cold climate that I do I don't think I'd try it, it'd just be one big gelled mess!
              at home:
              2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
              2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
              2008 Suitcase 12RC
              Spoolmatic 30A
              WC-24
              2009 Dynasty 200DX
              2000 XMT 304
              2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
              Sold:MM130XP
              Sold:MM 251
              Sold:CST 280

at work:
              Invision 350MP
              Dynasty 350
              Millermatic 350P
              Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Collar Moto View Post
                google video "freedom to fascism" 2 hours of get your blood boiling.

they are already talking about using the gps on cars to tax you on your miles. then they will be able to see how much gas you use for the miles you drive and tax you more for if you have a poor gas milage vehicle.
                you havent seen anything yet. give it 10 years.

Comment

best of luck with the bio . i looked into it a little bit but getting oil here is no longer doable. seems to all be claimed by farmers with a deal with the restaurant, or other source. good for the farmers i say. i would try to get a contract with the restaurants. agree to pick up weekly or whatever works for them so they don't get over loaded. with your temps you could probably get away with strait oil burning with a diesel startup. you could run your radiator lines threw the oil tank to bring it up in temp. as said fuel lines and filters are a big thing, but thats about all it seems is needed. an older motor may be a big advantage. i did run into a guy up here that runs it in VW rabbits all summer but docent bother in the winter. however his tractor is run on it year round with a diesel start.
                  as for the gas tax. i would keep a record of fuel used and pay it. its not as bad as you may think, most of the $ per gal is going to the oil people not the road tax. should still come out well ahead. definitely should look into it before the ticket shows up.
                  keep us posted and best of luck.
                  thanks for the help
                  ......or..........
                  hope i helped
                  sigpic
                  feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
                  summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                  JAMES

Comment

signwave

so who here by show of hands thinks signwave has gone of the deep end? hehehehehe

i dont think so, your just fed up like the rest of us...............just a bit more outspoken.
                    thanks for the help
                    ......or..........
                    hope i helped
                    sigpic
                    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
                    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                    JAMES

Comment

Friend of mine set up a bio fuel plant in an out building on his property. about $100 in parts and a bunch of stuff he already had laying around and he now makes fuel for around .40 cents a gallon.
                      Very simple set up. he now has drums of fuel stacked outside the door to the out building.
                      Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
                      Millermatic 252 on the wish list
                      Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
                      South bend lathe 10LX40
                      K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
                      Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
                      A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
                      Auto shades are for rookies
                      www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

I built the Bio reactor a couple years ago. I made one batch with it. It was more fun making the contraption then making the fuel. All I have is an old '94 chevy with the 6.5l turbo. I didn't want experiment with it because the pump is expensive and the injectors are real hard to get to.
                        I did burn it in bug torches and started brush fires with it, seemed to burn OK. I needed to wash it a final time to burn it in a vehical tho.

I am looking for a very cheap POS diesel car or truck to run on bio, if I find one then I will start making it again. Diesel here is $4.30 a gallon.
                        Tim Beeker,
                        T-N-J Industries
                        (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
                        Esab 450i with wire feeder
                        HH135 mig
                        Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
                        Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
                        Marathon 315mm coldsaw
                        vertical and horizontal band saws
                        table saw
                        Dewalt cut off saw
                        Sand blast cabinet
                        lots of hand grinders
                        Harris torch
                        beer fridge

Comment

Well that buddy of mine runs his bio in his 05 Ford F350 4x4SD. And it runs just fine on it. Granted he most likely voided his warrantee but he doesn't seem to care
                          Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
                          Millermatic 252 on the wish list
                          Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
                          South bend lathe 10LX40
                          K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
                          Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
                          A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
                          Auto shades are for rookies
                          www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

Well we will see if the supply of used oil is still there by the time I get things up and running. Had another guy with a bar & grill tell me last weekend to come on by and pick it up.
                            Dynasty 200 DX
                            Lincoln 140
                            O/A
                            Gradatim vincimus
                            "We conquer by degrees."

Comment

get it wile the getting is good

you should start collecting the oil now, it will go fast. i picked up 8 55gal 10W30 oil drums from a local farmer. if you have one near you they may well sell you the drums much cheaper than buying tanks from TSC. seems like i paid $5 or $10 each for mine. just make shore the drums are not from chemical use or you could get into handling and disposal problem with hazer duse materials.
                              good luck keep us posted.
                              thanks for the help
                              ......or..........
                              hope i helped
                              sigpic
                              JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by madcow View Post
                                google video "freedom to fascism" 2 hours of get your blood boiling.

they are already talking about using the gps on cars to tax you on your miles. then they will be able to see how much gas you use for the miles you drive and tax you more for if you have a poor gas milage vehicle.
                                you havent seen anything yet. give it 10 years.
                                At first I got REALLY pi$$ed when I started reading this thread and thought "HOW DARE THEY TAX ON BIO FUEL!!!!!" But one of the post re: checking the dye, yeah, they fine you big time too if you get caught with marine or farm diesel, because of the road tax stuff...yeesh...oh, btw, don't think they are trying THAT hard in bringing the price of gas down, or finding an alternative fuel source anytime soon!!!!! One of my dad's family members made something in the 60's and I won't need to tell you the rest....After a lot of threatening phone calls and one of his sons died, he dropped the project......We need to be politicians, mostly senators, where their pensions are the same as their salary for life, the I won't bother to find that report in what the Clintons are doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still think this is the best country to live in, just that it's going bad fast.........I deleted the e-mail my mom gave me, but the speaker of the house (the lady) wants to suck more taxes out from us so we can provide the illegal aliens and jobless with money so they can live the American dream like us..............
                                horsesh!t!!!!!!! I thought the illegal aliens were supposed to be sent back, and the jobless were supposed to find jobs, and the American Dream was to WORK, so you can HAVE the things you want???!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never read the American Dream was to live in America and have all the other people give you money to live the good life!!!!!!!!!!
                                I'm not late...
                                I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

Working...
                                X