Heres a project for thought....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heres a project for thought....

An Air operated Car,If an impact has enough torque to break bolts why couldnt someone come up with a way, to make air turn a wheel.You have a fuel tank why not an air tank.An air compressor can operate off 4 wheels for continuous air pressure .Why couldnt something simular work.All you would need is initial start up air , and then it would be self efficient.Maybe we wouldn't beas dependant upon rag heads.I think there should be enough knowledge to make something like this work.After today a fill-up cost 200.00 plus dollars too fill-up my welding rig .I think its time for something different.Any Ideas? Its fuel for the thought anyway.

They already got'em. You are proposing perpetual motion tho...nice thought

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Alright,perpetual motion ill have to look that one up...Say they already have this.Ill have to study that.It just seems that could be a part of the answer.Would be enviromental friendly also..

Comment

Fusion King,thanks for the new word.Ill enjoy studying this topic.I glanced at some pages,pretty neat.

Comment

pssssst

wasnt this compressed air car engine idea created by some frenchman? He probably drives a Citroen...
          Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
          Syncro200
          Spectrum 625
          O/A
          Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
          Standard modern lathe
          Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
          horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
          Roland XC540 PRO III
          54" laminator
          hammer and screwdriver (most used)
          little dog
          pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

Comment

I just got through reading some interesting free energy stories,on a web site,I didnt see anything on air propultion tho.But ,still an awesome topic.

Comment

Hmm....

Yes, the theory of perpetual motion comes to mind.
              Interesting idea but thats all we need is for someone to start charging us (tax) for the air to operate our cars and the air we breathe.....

I think the short term answer is to start trading barrels of corn for barrels of oil (No I'm not a farmer but I do live in Corn Country)

Comment

I agree willy....But,for some reason when oil goes up ,the price of the corn rises with it.Its like they are trying to equal out the price for the alternate way.I dont know the answer but times are starting to look very bad.Were too dependant upon the oil.

Comment

I would like to know if any studies have been done on the idea of using wind and solar generated electricity to produce hydrogen for cars. I think its either Greenland or Iceland where they have been running cars on hydrogen produced by electricity from their hot springs.
                  Hydrogen produced from wind and solar electricity might not be practical for general transportation but if it could be used for transportation within factories or between places of business where you would not have to rely on public gas stations, I think it could be a good start on a reduction of oil use for transportation.
                  I think its Federal Express that has a main terminal that runs 80% on solar energy.
                  To all who contribute to this board.
                  My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
                  Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
                  Miller Syncrowave 250
                  Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

Question: Where do you plan to get the air under pressure and how is it produced?

The idea is similar to the "0 emissions" hydrogen car. Yes the car itself would produce 0 emissions, however the production of the electricity needed to generate the hydrogen most likely WILL.

Wind, solar and nuke don't produce enough energy and are not available everywhere. This leaves oil,( aren't we trying to not use this?), natural gas (a by product of oil last I looked), coal ( most people consider this very environmentally unfriendly) to generate electrical power for most people. If you are lucky enough to live near a hydroelectric dam it might work. However most environmentalists are also trying to do away with the dams! Bad for the fish and natural ecosystems, don't you know.

Please stop trying to reinvent the wheel. Stop and think out the whole idea. This idea of turning corn into gas is not helping us any either.

The best way to use less oil to power vehicles is to increase MPG. This can most easily be done by getting rid of all the emmisions crud that has been tacked on to everything. My new "clean" diesel engine uses 2X more fuel to go the same distance as my old diesel. How does this help? A diesel will run on any oil, at least they did before all the "new" scrubbers. Now mine is rated for only 5% Biodiesel inorder to protect the emisions equip. Can't remove the scrubbers leagly in most locations.

Sorry I'm done with my rant. Thanks for your time.

EDIT: BTW burninbriar you posted while I was typing so this wasn't aimed at you. You just picked the wrong time to post.
                    Last edited by DSW; 04-28-2008, 09:35 PM.

Comment

In my thinking they build screw type air compressors,Theyre four wheels that turn .You have a storage Air tank ,which could replace the fuel tank.Wheels are turning you would be replaceing the volume.

Comment

Originally posted by bdenney29 View Post
                        I agree willy....But,for some reason when oil goes up ,the price of the corn rises with it.Its like they are trying to equal out the price for the alternate way.I dont know the answer but times are starting to look very bad.Were too dependant upon the oil.

Of course it does - it takes oil (diesel, chemicals) to produce corn, beans or any other crop. The cost of production goes up - so does the price.
                        the world is complaining that we are taking a lot of our corn crop to produce ethenol (which I dont think is the answer, and I am no expert by any means). China doesnt have enough food to feed their population the way it is. We feed them for probably far less than it costs us to produce (just a hunch - but someone is getting rich of this) just to build a work force of people that given the opportunity would trample us without thought. All we have to show for this is high steel prices, record high fuel prices, and downright friggin garbage for products coming over on the boats. We are being held hostage on the price of a gallon of gas - we need to hold them hostage on the price of food. This is all a little extreme I know but the majority of foriegn nations are directly affecting the American way of life and to tell you the truth - I'm darn sick of giving OUR country away

Now my blood pressure is thru the roof......let's get back to welding someting

Comment

Originally posted by bdenney29 View Post
                          In my thinking they build screw type air compressors,Theyre four wheels that turn .You have a storage Air tank ,which could replace the fuel tank.Wheels are turning you would be replaceing the volume.
                          The problem that can't be overcome with perpetual motion is that it takes energy to produce energy, and then you add resistance to one side of the equation (air, gravity and so on) and there goes the equilibrium you need to make it work.
                          To all who contribute to this board.
                          My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
                          Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
                          Miller Syncrowave 250
                          Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

In order for your idea to function you would need HP air. Basically you are building a "steam" engine. One of your options would be some sort of piston engine of which the most efficient were the triple expansion engines that continued to use the expanding gas to continue to produce power by using larger cylinders. These were large and heavy, the reason they were discarded for war ships. The other is a turbine type engine. The piston type engine could use LP steam but you were limited in power. HP steam increased the power in piston and turbine engines, but steam expands at a much higher rate than air so very HP air would be required to make these work.

A screw compressor makes large volumes of low pressure air. If I remember when I worked at the compressor shop about 125 psi max. The HP required to drive these machine was fairly high. I can remember working on 150 hp 3 phase monsters. Also the require large quantities of oil in order to function. The air is forced into the oil and then compressed, the air is then removed from the oil and the oil is cooled and the process repeated. The weight of the oils and the compressor alone would limit it's efficiency.

Now you would get in to loss of energy due to heat, friction and so on. It just won't work.

If you want an idea of an air engine, check out old torpedoes. Some of the early ones were pneumatic. Basically a turbine run on HP gas. Limited speed and limited range. The steam torpedoes replaced them. The air was now used to help heat steam which ran the turbine.

bdenney29 you would be better off putting sails on your car and making it wind powered. Keep you mast under 13'6 to clear wires and bridges. It still wont be teribly practical, but at least it would function in some situations.
                            Last edited by DSW; 04-28-2008, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Thermodynamics

You can not engineer anything that will completely recharge itself using its own inertia. There would have to be an outside source to compensate for heat and frictional losses.

This is basically the reason that you cannot create a perpetual motion machine. The second law of thermodynamics basically states that within a closed system there is a continual loss of enegy. Entropy.

Pneumatic devices, although very useful in many applications, are not necessarily energy efficient. It would be interesting to see how much energy an impact requires when you calculate the electricity required to compress the air compared to the amount used by an electric impact. There is a great deal of heat given off when compressing air. Heat equals waste.

What is a totaly underutalized recoup of energy is in the heat lost to braking. Although you could never recoup enough to completely power the same vehicle, think about potentially how much energy could be recovered if everytime a car, truck, train, etc., hits the brakes, that energy is transfered back to the power grid.

The energy can be created mechanically by driving generators/alternators or electromagnetically through induction.

If every single vehicle was so equiped, we might be coming home at night to plug our cars in to discharge the batteries and collect our credit back from the electric companies who now would require that much less fuel to create electricity

John
                              Last edited by Handy560; 04-30-2008, 06:42 AM.
                              John

Thunderbolt AC/DC
                              MM 175
                              Maxstar 150 STL
                              Blue Star 185 DX
                              Spectrum 375

Comment

Working...
                              X