X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good job. Does the muffler on the welder is for pollution or sound

Comment

Originally posted by grnxrymnky View Post
      i once heard of some rods that once they are lit they burn right through just about anything. if the guy wasn't pulling my leg they might be worth checking in to. does anyone out there know anything about them?
      Arcair "Slice" torch works sort of like a thermal lance but on a smaller scale. Will burn through just about anything -rust, crud, cured concrete included. They are absolutely nasty to use though, especially with the short rods - definitely wear full leathers! I prefer regular CAC for most stuff but when burning out out pins, you can poke straight through with exothermic (slice) using coated rods. Keep in mind all the molten metal being burned will be shooting out of the hole directly towards you until you pierce through.

You can light them with a torch same as you would a thermal lance, or can light them by hooking up to a welder at low current or Slice battery ignition box and scratch starting them as you would with a welding rod. Pure O2 runs through the rod and blows out the end. They don't work with compressed air like CAC does. The higher the O2 pressure the more flying molten metal they make. Stock up on extra cover lenses and burn ointment, you'll probably need both!
      2007 Miller Dynasty 200 DX
      2005 Miller Passport 180

Comment

extra muffler on bobcat 225 nt

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
        Good job. Does the muffler on the welder is for pollution or sound
        i wanted it to cut down on the noise, but i couldn't really tell a difference. it's now back to stock. i'm thinking about selling it and getting an xmt 350 unit. i just don't hardly ever go mobile. i did the one mobile job on the scrap grapple, but that's it. everything else i've done has been here at my shop. there are some things i'd like to produce multiples of and i'd go to the shop more after i'm home from the hospital, but engine noise late at night doesn't go over well with the neighbors. this guys operation seems pretty sweet..... http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...w-wire-feeder/
        1 BEST 6 Y/O HELPER IN THE WORLD
        2 VICTOR O/A TORCHES
        LINCOLN SP 175 PLUS
        4 EACH 20 TON JACKS
        SEVERAL LESSER TON JACKS
        SEVERAL GRINDERS
        LOTS OF HAMMERS MISC SIZES
        BIG PILE OF MISC TOOLS
        CLASS A CDL'S
        C7500 FLAT BED
        4 TRAILERS
        HOME MADE GANTRY CRANE
        SOME GOOD COMMON SENSE (I THINK)
        TRACTOR WITH NEW HEAVY DUTY LIFT POLE -- FIND MY THREAD
        6 GOATS, 1 DOG, 1 DONKEY...
        ON AND ON AND ON...

Comment

Originally posted by Pass-N-Gas View Post
          Well then use that extra strap and attach the O/A bottles to something (PIC 4)... All it takes is just one time ... Just like whatever happened off shore on the platform before it blew!
          if i remember right, they did end up tied off. seems like one of the hands came by and said something about it. it takes a village (everyone else) to raise a child (me) and safety is number one.

of course everyone has a friend that blah blah blah....but i have a friend with a pretty big operation in columbus, ms and they had a bottle get loose, fly around the shop, bounce off of anything that it didn't knock out of the way, go through the roof and end up somewhere in the cross-tie plant yard behind them.
          1 BEST 6 Y/O HELPER IN THE WORLD
          2 VICTOR O/A TORCHES
          LINCOLN SP 175 PLUS
          4 EACH 20 TON JACKS
          SEVERAL LESSER TON JACKS
          SEVERAL GRINDERS
          LOTS OF HAMMERS MISC SIZES
          BIG PILE OF MISC TOOLS
          CLASS A CDL'S
          C7500 FLAT BED
          4 TRAILERS
          HOME MADE GANTRY CRANE