Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

welding trailer

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welding trailer

I thought I would post some pics of a trailer I built for my trailblazer and outfit. Alot of the ideas came from critiques of other projects so I feel like I'm obligated to share what I came up with.

A little history: This trailer was originally a utility trailer for a 500 gallon diesel tank. Actually it was the first trailer I ever built. The diesel trailer never came to fruition and a couple of years later (last summer) I cut it up and turned it into a welding trailer. The only parts left from the original trailer are the deck, bed frame, and bed rails. Basically, I built this thing twice! It now has a new toungue, axles, fenders and other various additions.

Fire extinguisher (one water and one abc) mounts are on the front right. The fenders are 12 ga. and tough as nails. That thing on the back right is a removable pedestal for a vice. O2 mount is on the left fender and acetylene is on the front left corner. Hose wraps are on the front left corner. I made the lead wraps bolt-on so I could move them around if need be. The 3x3 angle on the back is mostly for pipe. I've used it for saddling pipe as big as 10". I've used the stuffing out of that toungue rack and the light guards have come in handy more than once, too. I built everything except the axle kits, coupler, and jack.

I built the he!! out of this thing because I knew I was going to be abusing the he!! out of it. I still have some additions to make but this will give you a general idea. It is currently in regular use and so far I'm pleased. I can't think of anything I would change considering the ragged little trailer that I started with. I'll get some more pics up after a while and I'll continue to post any pics of future additions.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mcgilacoty; 04-25-2008, 01:58 PM.

other trailer

for anyone interested in other trailer projects check this out: http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ead.php?t=7293

Comment

With gas prices the way they are now and going up, we may have to re-define overbuilt someday.

Comment

Very Nice!!! Its like a mobile shop on wheels. Should be able to haul a tank in that bad boy!! Good Job!

Comment

What gas prices? I've gone green. I have a team of mules that pull this thing around.

You gotta be kidding me if you think I'm paying 3.50 for a gallon of gas! Milk doesn't even cost that much and I like milk better than gas. Too bad the trailblazer won't burn milk instead of gas.

Comment

That's a great looking trailer, I am just starting mine probably use some of your ideas , thanks for posting,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,B,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Comment

Originally posted by mcgilacoty View Post
              What gas prices? I've gone green. I have a team of mules that pull this thing around.

You gotta be kidding me if you think I'm paying 3.50 for a gallon of gas! Milk doesn't even cost that much and I like milk better than gas. Too bad the trailblazer won't burn milk instead of gas.
              Miller should build a set of welders than run off dung. It's the next big thing.

Comment

nice trailer

nice lookin' trailer. kinda makes me jealous, or enthused about workin on mine. when i actually get to build one, i plan on using two axles also.

be sure to post some pics after it's loaded.
                later,
                jim

Comment

It's actually been outfitted for about a year now. One of my side projects is a toolbox. I'll finish the toolbox and post some more pics.

Comment

Originally posted by mcgilacoty View Post
                    Oh yeah, feed prices are so much cheaper than gas! At least you'll get a lot of free manure. You picked mules because you are tired of people pointing and saying "Wow! Look at that A$$!"? Ha ha just kidding.

Very nice work on the trailer though.

Comment

Thanks. The mules are pasture grazed. I don't pay "jack" for feed. So in this case feed is much cheaper. They're a matching set of BIG Missouri mules. They've got a set of shade 5 blinders that protect their eyes from stray arc. I didn't think jacks could drag the outfit around.
                      Last edited by mcgilacoty; 04-27-2008, 03:48 AM.

Comment

toolbox

here's a teaser of the toolbox to come courtesy of Solidworks...

Suggestions are always welcomed!
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by mcgilacoty; 04-27-2008, 03:48 AM.

Comment

toolbox

I found this post and decided to dig up some pics. Here is the completed toolbox from 2 years ago. The trailer has since been completed but I don't have any pictures of the completed trailer. Maybe I will in another 2 years...
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by mcgilacoty; 04-01-2010, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Dang It!!!!

I've been looking all over for my welding hood.....I don't remember leaving it hanging there tho

BTW....nice job. NOW GO GET YOUR STINKIN' CAMERA AND TAKE PICS AND POST THEM!!!!
                            Heck 2 years is more than enuff patience. You don't want us to send someone out and take care of this, yuh know
                            And while you're at it work on yer sig

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.