Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hybrid Workbench

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hybrid Workbench

To me, blending woodworking and metalworking allows a better project. I used my Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC to weld a 10' by 30" metal framework of 3X3 tubing with 1/4" wall thickness. Added support framework for storage shelving is welded between the wheelbase using 2X2 angle iron 1/4" thick. With a metal framework, the span below the workbench tops is extremely open and allows much more unobstructed storage. 1-1/8" oak is attached to the metal framework with countersunk and plugged self-tapping screws. In the second photo, you can see the spacing of the doors and wood framework stiles. To help seal the lower storage area from dust or spills, plywood is screwed to 1/2X1/2" angle iron which was caulked and painted with an oil base paint (yellow surfaces).

Also, below the center folding doors is a long thin shelf made of 2X2 by 1/4" thick angle iron. It supports thick Masonite covers I use for the workbench Maple, Oak, and Walnut 2" thick tops when I'm working on heavy or greasy metal projects. When finished, they simply slide under and out of the way.

The "T-Shaped" length of 8ft. by 38" wide with the top of the "T" being 6'-6" by 36" wide. A 6'-6" tool tray is 12" wide and 5" deep. Total length of the mobile workbench is 12' and is on 6" casters that have brakes. Total cost of the finished workbench, including all the two "Twin Screw" wood-jaw vise-kits, was $850.00.

Question: After seeing so many hits on this post, I'm asking for MORE of you to let me know what you think of the "T-Shape" design, too.

Bill
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BilljustBill; 02-25-2006, 01:46 PM. Reason: Question

That's a beautiful work bench, Bill it'd be a shame to get it dirty! Truley a work of art! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

That's very nice, Bill. I wish I was better at woodworking!

Mow

Comment

I had just about quit woodworking when I started welding, guess I should look at doing both. All I need is the time, great project, and useful too.

Comment

Good lookin' stuff, dude! Excellent combo of two great arts!

Comment

Very nice, almost too nice. Wouldn't want to be the guy who puts the first scratch in the top.

Comment

Absolutely beautiful. I only wish I had woodworking skills like that. Its almost a shame to know that it is going to be used for metal working too. I wouldn't have the heart to scratch it.

Comment

Nice Nice Nice

My Friend that is to nice to be used in a shop. I would have had to build a cover over it or stored it in my house. Keep up the nice work!!

Comment

Substaintial unit and I agree it would better fit in my house than in the shop. Great job,
                  Laurence

Comment

If I had a table that nice I would be afreid to work on it. Wouldn't want to get it dirty.

Comment

Great looking bench, I love the combination of wood and metal. How many hours you got into it?

Comment

This may be a Hybrid Workbench in your eyes.... but I call it a work of ART !! I commend you on your talent, skill and desire to achieve excellence. Totally above board and I thank you for sharing ot with us. Is there a set of plans to this masterpiece that you would like to share?

Comment

No Current Plans

Thanks for the nice words. Currently I don't have any plans for the "T-Shape" design, but might have an article submitted to "Fine Woodworking" magazine before the year is out.

Bill

Comment

weld

Originally posted by BilljustBill
                            Thanks for the nice words.
                            Bill
                            Bill, Will you use this as a welding table too?
                            *LOL*
                            Great job!
                            Farris

Comment

Wow that looks real nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.