excavator bucket

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• excavator bucket

here's a pic of my son standing inside our latest job. i had to resize the image, i hope it's not too small! if it's ok, i'll add more pics.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by grnxrymnky; 04-22-2008, 06:05 PM.
    1 BEST 6 Y/O HELPER IN THE WORLD
    2 VICTOR O/A TORCHES
    LINCOLN SP 175 PLUS
    4 EACH 20 TON JACKS
    SEVERAL LESSER TON JACKS
    SEVERAL GRINDERS
    LOTS OF HAMMERS MISC SIZES
    BIG PILE OF MISC TOOLS
    CLASS A CDL'S
    C7500 FLAT BED
    4 TRAILERS
    HOME MADE GANTRY CRANE
    SOME GOOD COMMON SENSE (I THINK)
    TRACTOR WITH NEW HEAVY DUTY LIFT POLE -- FIND MY THREAD
    6 GOATS, 1 DOG, 1 DONKEY...
    ON AND ON AND ON...

The pic size is perfect. You've got a great looking boy there! Does he show interest in fixing stuff yet? I was thinking about what he might be doing 10 years from now.
    Jim

Comment

full blooded boy!

he is a full blooded boy! he has his own little hammer and just loves to be in the shop with me. i had the big excavator bucket rolloed backwards and i was inside it welding vert so i wouldn't have to practically lay down and weld. about halfway through a rod he wales against it with his ball-pein hammer! needless to say it was like sitting in the liberty bell. i peered over the edge and he was just-a-grinnin!
      in ten years he'll be showing me how to do stuff!
      my wife is a stained glass artist and we hope to expose him to that as well, when he's old enough to understand about the dangers of, and be more careful around glass. until then it's easier to keep an eye on him around my shop.
      Attached Files
      2 VICTOR O/A TORCHES
      LINCOLN SP 175 PLUS
      4 EACH 20 TON JACKS
      SEVERAL LESSER TON JACKS
      SEVERAL GRINDERS
      BIG PILE OF MISC TOOLS
      CLASS A CDL'S
      C7500 FLAT BED
      4 TRAILERS
      HOME MADE GANTRY CRANE
      ON AND ON AND ON...

Comment

"halfway through a rod he wales against it with his ball-pein hammer! needless to say it was like sitting in the liberty bell. i peered over the edge and he was just-a-grinnin!"

LMAO!! Awesome having your son interested in the shop. Yep, I'd darn sure be keeping him away from glass at this age. Please protect his hearing too. Hearing loss is permanent and progressive. It goes away so slowly you don't even notice it leaving. I wear ear muffs any time I run a power tool, especially my 4 1/2" grinders. Maybe I'm too cautious, I can still hear well; but my ears never quit ringing.
        RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
        sigpic

Comment

So true about hearing loss. Wished I had used hearing protection more when I started construction. I was somewhat concerned with him looking at the arc while trying to see what daddy's doing. I guess if he's well minded he'll stay where he is told and not look.

My 1st thought was that he looks like me in our Cat988 bucket, only its not wide enough.

Comment

Originally posted by DSW View Post
            I was somewhat concerned with him looking at the arc while trying to see what daddy's doing. I guess if he's well minded he'll stay where he is told and not look.
            A better point than mine. I was at buddies last week. He was welding something for the neighbor. Maybe 5 welds. It took ALL of my willpower to look away until he called 'clear'. It's like a wild animal being drawn to your headlights.
            RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Craig in Denver View Post
              Please protect his hearing too. Hearing loss is permanent and progressive. It goes away so slowly you don't even notice it leaving. I wear ear muffs any time I run a power tool, especially my 4 1/2" grinders. Maybe I'm too cautious, I can still hear well; but my ears never quit ringing.

Amen on the hearing loss. As a youngun I never bothered with hearing protection and I used to run jack hammers, loaders, backhoes. Today I wear two hearing aids. Without them, I have to read lips if somebody doesnt talk loud enough, even with my hearing aids in, if your not facing me when you talk at a distance of 10 feet, all I hear is a whisper.

This gives you an idea what 35 years of noise can do.
              Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
              Hobart Handler 187
              Dewalt Chop Saw
              4" Air Grinder
              Die Grinder
              Rigid Drill Press
              Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Comment

Great to see your son out in the shop with you. Alot of parents "baby' their children to much. I don't mean let em get hurt, but just let them help you and they won't be afraid of work. Even if that means beating on the bucket with your head inside LOL
                Scott
                HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

my 2 boys

my two boys are 5 and 2. if they even think they heard my welder fire up they are scrambling to get outside with dad.while i was reading this great thread i just thought that if a person could find a clear or almost clear welding curtain the yungins could maybe "see" a little more of what dad is doing. i hope i never have to deal with a kid with "flash" or steel in their eye!!if i do its no ones fault but mine!!!!
                  07 f350 duallie w/deck
                  07 tb302d
                  2011 big blue pro 300 cat
                  victor torch
                  matthey beveler
                  assorted hand tools

Comment

Originally posted by HMW View Post
                    Great to see your son out in the shop with you. Alot of parents "baby' their children to much. I don't mean let em get hurt, but just let them help you and they won't be afraid of work. Even if that means beating on the bucket with your head inside LOL
                    I agree let them get dirty Heck I the first time I went on a drilling rig I could barely walk. I think it taught me respect being around things like that when I was younger

Comment

what part of the country are you located? rocky around you?

I am in east central mn. north part of the twin cities. on a 330 cat we can run a 4 yard sand bucket. not many rocks or hard dirt around here. to see a tear like that looks like something from northern mn. where it is a lot of hard rock.

Comment

safety first

DON'T WORRY GUYS -- SAFETY FIRST! when i tell him that i'm about to "make noise" (grinder, chop-saw etc) or weld/cut, he heads for the side room of the shop or outside and pretends to cut the grass on the riding mower. but as soon as the noise is over he's on his way back in. he's had his share of "knots on his head" though. i know that it has given him a healthy measure of respect or belief when i tell him not to do something because it could hurt him. but if he's at all like me he has about 27million more knots/scrapes/lacerations etc to come.

as far as the damage to the 325 cat bucket, MADCOW, they were busting up concrete with it. but we're heavily funded clay around jackson, ms. the shifty/swelly/shrinky type that moves around and increases the bank accounts for the people that do foundation repair.

BDJ -- i agree man! let 'em get dirty!!! he goes with me to the steel supplier, scrap yard, parts houses, lws, etc. it's extra trouble/enjoyment to keep a watchful eye out for him, but the time spent with him is far more important than the convenience of dropping him off at daycare as soon as the doors open.

by the way, i appreciate y'alls replies. it's fun to watch this forum and i hope i have lots of fun posting here.
                        Attached Files
                        2 VICTOR O/A TORCHES
                        LINCOLN SP 175 PLUS
                        4 EACH 20 TON JACKS
                        SEVERAL LESSER TON JACKS
                        SEVERAL GRINDERS
                        BIG PILE OF MISC TOOLS
                        CLASS A CDL'S
                        C7500 FLAT BED
                        4 TRAILERS
                        HOME MADE GANTRY CRANE
                        ON AND ON AND ON...

Comment

You should get the little guy his own lid. You would probably have to modify the head gear a little but by the time he 18 he'll be a class A welder.

Comment

future weldor

he already has his own clear shield and legit hardhat, and as soon as he can write with a steady hand i plan on letting him start scratching some steel with a rod in lttle weave and stringer patterns.
                            Attached Files
                            2 VICTOR O/A TORCHES
                            LINCOLN SP 175 PLUS
                            4 EACH 20 TON JACKS
                            SEVERAL LESSER TON JACKS
                            SEVERAL GRINDERS
                            BIG PILE OF MISC TOOLS
                            CLASS A CDL'S
                            C7500 FLAT BED
                            4 TRAILERS
                            HOME MADE GANTRY CRANE
                            ON AND ON AND ON...

Comment

Originally posted by grnxrymnky View Post
                              he already has his own clear shield and legit hardhat, and as soon as he can write with a steady hand i plan on letting him start scratching some steel with a rod in lttle weave and stringer patterns.
                              That is awesome, so nice to see someone spending quality time with their little ones.

On the safety side, don't forget about some "lil welding gloves".

By the way, nice work on the bucket. I have done the same type of work at the company I work for. Its amazing the damage and abuse an "operator" can inflict on equipment and attachments. I get a kick out of the items which they break. We have one crew that uses a Komatsu PC300 Excavator with a material bucket to bust up and crush the concrete for recycling. Job security, right? I like it!

Actually, I went into a management role a bit more than two years ago at the company, this is not for me, I'm leaving soon and going back too welding on construction equipment. Yes, serenity now!!!
                              Miller Suitcase 12VS
                              Miller 225 Bobcat
                              Miller 30A Spool Gun & Aluminum WC Box
                              Lincoln SP-200 "Ezmeralda"
                              Lincoln SP-100 (Sold)
                              1970's Era Sears-Farm AC/220 "Invincible" (Sold)
                              Parker Plasma 40
                              Tig Torch "One day, one day, I must learn to use"

Comment

Working...
                              X