Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

cheap bench mount shears...worth it?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheap bench mount shears...worth it?

Does anybody use one of these cheap shears?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...9556_200309556

I'm looking for a bench mount shear for cutting round bar and some flat mild steel. I'm not looking for a throatless shear for doing any sheet metal, I just want to be able to quickly cut 3/16" stock.

Are these a waste of money? I'm afraid the first time I try to cut a piece roundbar it's going to leave a dent in the blades. Any experience you guys have would be helpful.

I've been thinking about getting one also. I am looking at the Enco model.
    http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=130-5700

Comment

I have had the ENCO 8" model for about 6 years and have been happy with it. You don't cut round with the blade edge.........there is a hole to
      put the round and cut. What's odd is the ENCO model use to be over $200 and then one day I saw it in a flyer for about $76 and got it. Well worth the money. They didn't carry replacement blades at the time but for the lower price, just get another if you wear it out.

Comment

I have a 6" version - I find it works great, but they claim it will cut 1/4" bar stock. You must have to weigh a lot more than I do, cause I was hanging on it and it wasn't cutting. For 3/16 and under - works like a charm, and a lot faster and cleaner than a zip wheel. Mine gets a lot of use. Think I paid $49 on sale.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I didn't even know Enco had one (i didn't think to check).
          Monte, you said you have the 8" and Big_Eddy the 6"; would it be worth it to get the larger 12"? The only reason I ask is if you think it would have a bit more leverage for cutting? I really wouldn't need the 12" otherwise.
          Thanks for the responses.

Comment

You will not be able to cut the full thickness at the full length of the blades. I can cut 2" x 3/16" no problem. If you need to cut 12" then get that one. I have other ways to cut thin plate. They only cut straight. Don't expect it to
            cut the curves like a Beverly shear. Harbor freight has a Beverly shear clone that is cheap and works well.

Comment

I don't want it to cut curves or anything like that. 2"x3/16" is about what I would want to cut. I guess i'll be waiting for a sale
              Thanks Monte!

Comment

I wish I had bought the 12" version. I have used it for a lot of 20 gauge and under material, and I always seem to want to cut something just a little wider than the blade. You can make a 6 inch cut then slide the piece back a bit to get to about 9", but it's always just that little bit too short for what I need.

I had mine mounted with the back about 3" from the wall. I need to move it forward a bit to allow for the workpiece to slide back just a bit further. (Plus I need to make my mount a bit stronger - I ripped the corner off my plywood bench top leaning on it one day.)

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys. I went ahead and bought the 8" version. It wasn't on sale but I had a free shipping code so it was about $80.

Big_Eddy, thanks for the advice for mounting and cutting, i will keep that in mind.

Thanks again guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Eddy View Post
                    I wish I had bought the 12" version. I have used it for a lot of 20 gauge and under material, and I always seem to want to cut something just a little wider than the blade. You can make a 6 inch cut then slide the piece back a bit to get to about 9", but it's always just that little bit too short for what I need.
                    I was under the impression that you can make endless strait cuts with them. Is it the wall behind it stopping you from getting more than 9" or does the machine not allow a deeper cut?
                    Originally posted by dabeldesign View Post
                    Thanks for all the info guys. I went ahead and bought the 8" version. It wasn't on sale but I had a free shipping code so it was about $80.
                    Who did you end up buying it from?

Comment

I went with enco. Free shipping was nice since it's not exactly lightweight. I'll post up how well it works after I get it.

Comment

Burninbrier

2 Things get in the way of endless straight cuts - First my wall gets in the way as it is only about 4" behind the shear, but the real issue is the body of the shear. It's fine on one side to keep sliding the material back, but the offcut piece bangs into the body of the shear. You could keep trimming the offcut piece and sliding back, but I'm usually trying to cut out a small piece from a larger sheet, so that doesn't work, nor does it work when you want to cut an 8"x8" corner out of a larger piece. I'd gladly trade in my 6" version for the 12" one, but I can't convince myself to just buy a second one.

Comment

I use one similar every day. I hardly even touch my plasma cutter anymore. A beverly type shear is next on the list for the few occasions when I make a curve. If you're doing a lot of 1/8" stuff, they're hard to beat for quick and clean cuts.

Comment

Got my shear and set it up on friday. It works good but there's just no way I can shear close to it's listed capacity without breaking something (either myself or the shear )
                            I didn't buy it to shear 1/4" all the time and I didn't expect it too. However, I did try to cut a piece of 1/4" about 1" wide (listed capacity 2-3/4"x1/4"). I didn't get far through it before I heard a pop and I saw something go flying. I knew it wasn't the piece I was cutting and I was afraid it was a piece of the shear blade. I then spotted the handle mount (fuzzy cell phone pics attached). The handle that comes with this has lots of slop (oversized inaccurate mounting holes) and aparently relies on this little corner to keep it aligned and solid. Well too bad, the corner isn't there anymore I plan on making a new handle with accurate holes that can rely more on the mounting bolts.

I guess that's what I get for testing the capacity of a cheap chinese tool
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.