Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Billet aluminum dash bezel

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billet aluminum dash bezel

This does eventually turn into a welding project.

I started out by downloading pictures of the gauges I'll be using, off the net and printing them out actual size on the printer. Then made actual size PVC mock-ups on the CNC.

Then I made a dash bezel template. Designed the gauge layout and machined the bezel from 1/4" aluminum plate.

The bezel & gauges mocked up
    Last edited by pro70z28; 04-20-2008, 09:22 PM.

I had to play around with the brake to get the right set-up to bend the bezel to conform to the fiberglass dash.

Bending the bezel.

Got the bezel formed to the correct angles. Ready to fit to the dash.

Comment

Thats D@MN nice work! Very pretty, I like it alot. Looks alot like the dash for an older Mopar. Whats it for?

Ok skip the mopar part, you hadn't put the 2nd post up when I replied.

Comment

I cut the dash opening and then fiberglassed the bezel to the dash with a release agent, to get a good fit. The bezel will be mounted to the chassis and the fiberglass dash will be removable to service electrical stuff.

Here's where the welding finally comes in. I added aluminum strap top & bottom to stiffen up the bezel to support the gauges. And, to provide a place for mounting grommets.

Roughed in & temporarily fit in the car to make sure everything will fit as planned.

That's it so far. Still have a long way to go, but I'm getting there.
        Last edited by pro70z28; 04-20-2008, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Why did you turn the brake fingers upside down? Was that to gain extra clearance for the thick material?
          Nice looking piece.

Comment

Thanks DSW. It's going in the "Z".

Comment

Originally posted by burninbriar View Post
              Why did you turn the brake fingers upside down? Was that to gain extra clearance for the thick material?
              Nice looking piece.
              Yes. I flipped them over to move them back from the edge. I then put a radius edge on a 1/2" pc. of aluminum, the same radius I wanted on the bezel. Also, using the 1/2' plate spread the load over several fingers since I was bending thicker material than I'm supposed to with this brake. I drilled & tapped a couple bolts in the 1/2 plate so I could put the fingers right on the edge without them slipping off. Then, finally I had to make an aluminum shim to fit between the 1/2 plate & the machined area of the bezel to get an nice even bend. Took some trial & error, but it worked out.
              Last edited by pro70z28; 04-20-2008, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Pretty cleaver, here is a few pics of a radius bender I made for my brake, it was fairly easy and worked well. I think it is 7/8" radius. It snaps right onto the nosebar.
                Attached Files

Comment

That's a good idea. You could make a whole set of different sizes for different jobs.

Comment

Sweeeet

Gonna need to see some pics of the motor in that baby.....

Comment

There's not allot to see of the engine yet. It's all mock-up stuff at this point. Even the carb. is a PVC mock-up. It will eventually be an F-2 pro charged 540 BBC.

Comment

Did you do the intercooler yourself? If so verry nice work as well as everything else so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Anti-GMAW View Post
                          Did you do the intercooler yourself? If so verry nice work as well as everything else so far.
                          Since he is not online now, I can answer that. I recognized it right away when I saw it. Here is a link to his thread on it.
                          http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ad.php?t=12243

Comment

Originally posted by burninbriar View Post
                            Since he is not online now, I can answer that. I recognized it right away when I saw it. Here is a link to his thread on it.
                            http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ad.php?t=12243
                            Thanks for the link!

Comment

Beautiful - Nice work !

Did you also fab the seats ?

Is that a HF brake, Enco, ?
                              How do you like it
                              I'm planning to buy a 4'x16g brake with my stimulus check, looking for recommendations.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.