Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Billet aluminum dash bezel

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuck U&R View Post
    Beautiful - Nice work !

Did you also fab the seats ?

Is that a HF brake, Enco, ?
    How do you like it
    I'm planning to buy a 4'x16g brake with my stimulus check, looking for recommendations.

Thanks
    No, the seats are Kirkey.
    The brand name on the brake is Central Machinery
    Item # 45876
    I haven't used it much yet, but so far I like it.

Comment

nice form

Originally posted by burninbriar View Post
      Pretty cleaver, here is a few pics of a radius bender I made for my brake, it was fairly easy and worked well. I think it is 7/8" radius. It snaps right onto the nosebar.
      That's a nice, simple looking die, Burninbriar. I've made some dies for my brake too, as we're always needing to form different contours. I think we also did a 7/8" radius and I know we've done some 10 ga. stainless on it.
      I'll try to remember to snap some pics.
      It takes some thought and time, but there's nothing like being able to form it up in-house.
      Last edited by chrisgay@sbcglo; 04-21-2008, 12:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

nice work Pro70

Looks like you're taking your time to get it right. That was a good idea to do the fibreglass release. We do a lot of that for aero/body work. Looks like you're getting good use out of your CNC. Thumbs up and good luck with the rest of the project.

Comment

NICE work, I love metal fabrication; even if it's a welder cart. And I'm a closet motorhead...... so you can guess what I think of this.

My question is: I didn't know that you needed to heat aluminum to bend it?

See my sig for my point of view.

Comment

I wanted a fairly sharp/even bend. Since the piece I was bending was 1/4" on the edges and 1/8'' in the machined areas and I was bending right along side gauge openings I didn't want to distort, I played it safe & got the aluminum hot enough to be pliable. 1/4'' plate aluminum is a little beyond what this brake is rated for. I put a fair amount of pressure on it and then heated the plate until it gave.

Comment

What is you're brake rated for, it doesn't look to be any more than 16 gage mild steel.

Comment

Originally posted by burninbriar View Post
                What is you're brake rated for, it doesn't look to be any more than 16 gage mild steel.
                yup, that's the max.

Comment

I use to have a chart that told what thickness of different alloys you can bend with a brake based on its mild steel rating but I can't find it anywhere. It was just approximation anyway but still interesting. I think 16 gage mild steel rated will handle 20 gage stainless and probably 14 or 12 gage soft aluminum. I wish I could find the chart.

Comment

pro70z28:
                    Load it up, heat it til it bends.
                    Thanks, I didn't know you could do that with aluminum and now I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig in Denver View Post
                      pro70z28:
                      Load it up, heat it til it bends.
                      Thanks, I didn't know you could do that with aluminum and now I do.
                      I didn't either. I just tried it to see what would happen. Nothing ventured.......

Comment

Originally posted by pro70z28 View Post
                        I didn't either. I just tried it to see what would happen. Nothing ventured.......
                        Like I said in another thread, it's how man got to the moon and beyond. And in your case, what, 6 second quarter miles??
                        Last edited by Craig in Denver; 04-22-2008, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig in Denver View Post
                          Like I said in another thread, it's how man got to the moon and beyond. And in your case, what, 6 second quarter miles??
                          Na, 7's. It's a mild steel chassis.

Comment

Originally posted by pro70z28 View Post
                            Na, 7's. It's a mild steel chassis.
                            Wipe that smile off yer face, I kin run that fast.

Congratulations, somehow I spent my career behind a desk.

Comment

pro70z28,

Nice work and a great CAR. I like the dash and bending idea.

Thanks for sharing it.

Comment

Originally posted by JHCHOPPERS View Post
                                pro70z28,

Nice work and a great CAR. I like the dash and bending idea.

Thanks for sharing it.
                                Thanks. I appreciate the comments.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.