Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Almost Finished Welding Trailer

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost Finished Welding Trailer

Hi Everyone.

I have been lurking around this board for some time. I have enjoyed reading everyones posts. So much useful information in one place and some comedy too. Some of you guys are nuts!!! Well I finally decided on posting something I have been working on. I guess I'm just shy.

I purchased a used 225 Bobcat to add to my collection machines. The machine had very low hours but was very cosmetically challenged. I will say the machine had lots of "character".

I would also need a means for transport. As I'm hoping to get some more "mobile" side work.

I decided on building a trailer instead of mounting in my truck. The primary reason was I like too fish and sometimes leave truck sitting at boat landings for extended amounts of time. I would hate for someone to wreck/steal my machine or kids to play with it and get electrocuted or something.

Most of the materials I had laying around and modified them. The toolbox is off of an old tractor trailer I cut off the steps and such. The aluminum floor is cut up street signs. Steel from an old pressure washer and some freebie hubcaps I found. The reel is a aluminum homemade reel. You get the idea, I like freebies!!!
    Attached Files

Where's the torch, how ya gona cut stuff???

Comment

From what I can see in the pictures, your welding trailer appears to be very nice. CLEAN and uncluttered. I like that. Fit and finish seem nice. Looks good with the Miller on there.

I like the fact that you "recycled" and used what you had at hand. I am somewhat of a crow or packrat myself, and ususally have a tickle trunk of goodies stashed somewhere that I call upon from time to time.

Others will come along and start with the "Where's this? and What about that?" and you'll get lots of "Creative Input". As long as you have thought out your project, and the trailer fits YOUR application, I say nicely done.

The only thing that looked slightly out of place to me, was that the reach or tongue of the trailer seemed to be fairly short, and the trailer may pull a little better, or you could turn sharper, if it were longer.

As stated....If the trailer fits YOUR application...Nicely done.

Comment

very nice trailer.i like the rails with the bent tubing.nice job.

Comment

where is the torch and the hydraulic lift arm ,and the compressor and,and,and,and ........

Comment

Very nice, I made the tongue on my utility trailer very similar to what you have made yours and I have had an issue with it bowing up some I just wanted to mention that as something you might watch for.

Comment

Originally posted by mwccwi View Post
              A small set of torches is inside the tool box.

Comment

Originally posted by gnewby View Post
                Very nice, I made the tongue on my utility trailer very similar to what you have made yours and I have had an issue with it bowing up some I just wanted to mention that as something you might watch for.
                I pulled the trailer yesterday to a small job. I took it about 60 miles round trip and the trailer pulled very good. I was impressed with how well it pulled being it only has a 6ft long deck and 4ft wide with 30" of tongue.

I will keep an eye on that. Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

Nice Job!

Man, That Is A Nice Trailer! Hide-away Torches, Recycled Materials, Nice Blue Paint Job, Etc...on And On! I'm Gonna Start On A New Trailer For My Stuff, Soon, I Hope. Again, Good Job!

Comment

Originally posted by RAD View Post
                    Hi, Everyone. Some of you guys are nuts!!!
                    I think so, too.
                    Well I finally decided on posting something I have been working on. I guess I'm just shy.
                    When a quiet man does quality work, it speaks for him.
                    I would also need a means for transport. As I'm hoping to get some more "mobile" side work.
                    Good luck, small business makes the world work.
                    I decided on building a trailer instead of mounting in my truck. The primary reason was I like too fish and sometimes leave truck sitting at boat landings for extended amounts of time. I would hate for someone to wreck/steal my machine or kids to play with it and get electrocuted or something.
                    If a parent can't keep their kid away from another man's tools...... I'd leave this option open.

Most of the materials I had laying around and modified them. The toolbox is off of an old tractor trailer I cut off the steps and such. The aluminum floor is cut up street signs. Steel from an old pressure washer and some freebie hubcaps I found. The reel is a aluminum homemade reel. You get the idea, I like freebies!!!
                    Sweet, another pack-rat.

Comment

I realy love the way you reused the old street signs. Every time I see something original from somone I try to scrutinize every last inch of it that I can for possible ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Anti-GMAW View Post
                        I realy love the way you reused the old street signs. Every time I see something original from somone I try to scrutinize every last inch of it that I can for possible ideas.

Thanks for the compliment! I do the the same exact thing you listed above. This is what I Love About Welding and All Metal Work! So many routes to choose when making something!

Street signs are pretty cheap! Two to four bolts and they're yours, cough, cough..., ah'em, I mean two to four bucks and they're yours$$$ No really I work for a highway construction outfit and signs are readily available. Too much damage on them and they cannot be used, I grab the best damaged ones before they are thrown into the recycling bin.

I have used signs to make motorcycle parts, designs and such. They shine up real good with rouge, pedestal polisher and some elbow grease, lots of elbow grease. Though I did learn real quickly "when polishing wear thick welding gloves and hold on with a death grip" after ducking "shiny" aluminum projects flying at my head at 300mph and suffering 3rd degree burns on the palms of my hands!!! People thought I purchased the parts instead of making them, so it was worth it.

Comment

Looks awesome, I'd be proud to park that in my garage!!! (Might get stolen in my driveway!)
                          Keep us posted with any changes you make and why you make them, I always like to hear what works and what doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by RAD View Post
                            [/COLOR]

Thanks for the compliment! I do the the same exact thing you listed above. This is what I Love About Welding and All Metal Work! So many routes to choose when making something!

Street signs are pretty cheap! Two to four bolts and they're yours, cough, cough..., ah'em, I mean two to four bucks and they're yours$$$ No really I work for a highway construction outfit and signs are readily available. Too much damage on them and they cannot be used, I grab the best damaged ones before they are thrown into the recycling bin.

I have used signs to make motorcycle parts, designs and such. They shine up real good with rouge, pedestal polisher and some elbow grease, lots of elbow grease. Though I did learn real quickly "when polishing wear thick welding gloves and hold on with a death grip" after ducking "shiny" aluminum projects flying at my head at 300mph and suffering 3rd degree burns on the palms of my hands!!! People thought I purchased the parts instead of making them, so it was worth it.
                            You know what they say. Theres more than one way to skin a cat.

Comment

I like the rails up front and the tool box as well....Course can't forget all the blue. Nice looking

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.