Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

cor-ten fountain

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cor-ten fountain

Time to kill so I thought I'd share some pics of a fountain/basin we did a while back. The basin was 1/4" material, while the cascade, or chase, was 3/16".
    For some reason I thought it a good idear to stick weld this thing together using the appropriate weathering electrode. I'm no stick weldor, but I'm willing to learn. I welded the entire inside seams of the basin, which was about 18' long and 16" wide. I used a Maxstar 200DX for this project. Sweet machine.

1. material shows up.
    2.-5. We worked from a scribe off the wall at the site. It had an irregular curvature to it... of course. Plasma cut the bottom from a template and started tacking the sides up. We also cobbled together a long platform on which to build this thing.
    Attached Files

1-5. Gettin' er done. Burnin' it in.
    Sure is smokey.
    Attached Files

Comment

plasma

The top of the cascade had a wave profile, so JC diligently cut it out using a pattern. We have a Spectrum 701 in the shop. It's the only plasma cutter I've used, so I don't know how it compares to others.
      Attached Files

Comment

For KB

Now, before KB trips a breaker when he's ampin' out wondering why there are no pics of the WELDS... here are a couple.
        We made the cleats to hang the chase from some 3/8 x 2 stainless 304 bar we had kickin' around. I decided to TIG these for no particular reason. I then used a 309 rod and switched back to stick to weld the cleats supports to the back of the chase.

I may be no KB or Engloid, but I'm finding my way.

1 and 2. GTAW for the cleats.
        3. SMAW to the backside.
        4. Shimmy into place. Heavy metal.
        5. Just add water.

Thanks for looking.

Hats off to all the stick weldors.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by chrisgay@sbcglo; 04-16-2008, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chris***@sbcglo View Post
          The top of the cascade had a wave profile, so JC diligently cut it out using a pattern. We have a Spectrum 701 in the shop. It's the only plasma cutter I've used, so I don't know how it compares to others.
          Chris, 2nd shot on this post, how did you bend the metal like that?

Comment

WOW!!! 'cept for that left corner having a little space, the rest of it looks like a machine did it!!!! I'm sure KB and Engloid would be proud of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
              Chris, 2nd shot on this post, how did you bend the metal like that?
              Bert, that bend is accomplished on a large hydraulic press brake. The machine required to do that kind of forming is too much machine for my outfit, so I plan ahead and outsource all of our heavier forming.

If you like that bend, you'll love these. I had these formed out of 3/8" material. Due to the geometry, we couldn't form it all from one piece, so I had to weld on the bottom to create last bend. Heavy metal, dude. I made two of these about seven years ago for a hotel in my area.
              Attached Files

Comment

wow, I didn't know if it was that was a brake that did it or what. So long I had my doubts.....
                Bench, true form...simple, yet powerfull....priceless...

Comment

Nice work......

Comment

what was it finished with? or was it left bare metal?

Comment

Very nice work Chris. You have come a long way and should be very proud.

Comment

Originally posted by KB Fabrications View Post
                        Very nice work Chris. You have come a long way and should be very proud.
                        Thanks, man.

Building blocks.

My back is getting tired of heavy metal, though, so I'm thinking of making everything from here on out from Aluminium.
                        ... and maybe carbon fibre.

Comment

Originally posted by chris***@sbcglo View Post
                          Thanks, man.

Building blocks.

My back is getting tired of heavy metal, though, so I'm thinking of making everything from here on out from Aluminium.
                          ... and maybe carbon fibre.
                          WOW, COOL!!! Have you tried those new carbon fibre filler rods yet???
                          THEY'RE THE BOMB!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pro70z28 View Post
                            Nice work......
                            Thanks dude.

Comment

Originally posted by framescr8pintoy View Post
                              what was it finished with? or was it left bare metal?
                              We chose cor-ten so it would just weather in the elements along the California coastline. We did line all the interior surfaces with some gnarly stuff I refer to as "the Black Oil." All of the outside corner welds were ground smooth, so they're shiny for a little while until they oxidize and blend in with the rest.

Although we often do it, I don't like to paint our projects. It inevitably scratches, chips, or otherwise wears away... nothing lasts forever. Customers always wonder why their expensive patio furniture looks so dirty and worn after a few months. I tell them to park their $120,000 car outside under a tree for a few months .... get the idea?

I'm venting a little here, but my attitude is sometimes like: "It's steel... it rusts."

I've even been know to say, "It's stainless steel. It rusts... it stains."

Cheers.
                              Last edited by chrisgay@sbcglo; 04-17-2008, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.