Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

... a few more from my studio

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ... a few more from my studio

Thanks for all the advice, gang. This forum has helped me out a number of times.
    Attached Files

Nice work Chris...Bob

Comment

Nice clean work very professional

Comment

You do that scroll work yourself? or did you get it from Kings???
        AWSOME WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!
        oh, and how did you "plant" those feet in the resturaunt? I didn't see any lag bolts???

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
          Nice work Chris...Bob
          Thanks a lot Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by BDJ View Post
            Nice clean work very professional
            Thanks a lot. We try.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
              You do that scroll work yourself? or did you get it from Kings???
              AWSOME WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!

The water-jet is your friend.
              Although my hat's off to all those Johnny Blacksmiths out there.
              Thanks for the compliment.

oh, and how did you "plant" those feet in the resturaunt? I didn't see any lag bolts???
              Custom escutcheon plates.

Comment

Originally posted by chris***@sbcglo View Post
                Custom escutcheon plates.
                ugh...is that spanish? I don't speak spanish... really though..what is escutcheon plates? Make a custom mold type?
                thanks Chris

Comment

ugh...is that spanish? I don't speak spanish... really though..what is escutcheon plates? Make a custom mold type?
                  thanks Chris
                  If I remember right its a cover plate, like in plumbing, correct. In this case, to cover the bolts?

Comment

Originally posted by Badd00SS View Post
                    If I remember right its a cover plate, like in plumbing, correct. In this case, to cover the bolts?
                    Bingo.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/escutcheon

Stay in school, kids.

Comment

Or just say "ornamental plate or flange"

Comment

BaddOOSS,

I see you've got quite the anvil collection. Nice. I'm not much of an anvil guy, but I am a certifiable tool junkie... which can be a good thing and a bad thing. Mostly a good thing. I think most here would agree.

Comment

hey bert

Hi Bert,

We laid out the uprights for the railing on the slab before the tile went in.
                          If I remember correctly, the uprights on the railing were 3/8 x 2 flat bar.
                          We probably had the holes cored to 3" diameter so we can just pour the railing in place. This is a clean way to do it, you just have to make sure nobody monkeys with it while it's setting, as you're provisions for levelling are literally "set in stone." The escutcheons- excuse me, ornamental cover plates- were also from 3/8" material, slotted to fit over the 3/8" x 2 balusters. So... no bolts.

When you do thing this way, there's always that nagging feeling of "I sure hope I welded this thing together correctly to fit the cored hole pattern..."
                          Usually it works out.... usually.

Measure twice. Don't lose your measurements. I'm horrible and often find key measurements on the side of a cardboard box, napkin, back of my hand. Yikes.

Thanks for the interest.

Comment

Originally posted by chris***@sbcglo View Post
                            Hi Bert,

We laid out the uprights for the railing on the slab before the tile went in.
                            If I remember correctly, the uprights on the railing were 3/8 x 2 flat bar.
                            We probably had the holes cored to 3" diameter so we can just pour the railing in place. This is a clean way to do it, you just have to make sure nobody monkeys with it while it's setting, as you're provisions for levelling are literally "set in stone." The escutcheons- excuse me, ornamental cover plates- were also from 3/8" material, slotted to fit over the 3/8" x 2 balusters. So... no bolts.

When you do thing this way, there's always that nagging feeling of "I sure hope I welded this thing together correctly to fit the cored hole pattern..."
                            Usually it works out.... usually.

Measure twice. Don't lose your measurements. I'm horrible and often find key measurements on the side of a cardboard box, napkin, back of my hand. Yikes.

Thanks for the interest.
                            Chris, ok...before the railing is set in "stone", do you put the escutcheons in, then set the railing in the hole? then you tile over, then the escutcheons are what...epoxied down onto the tile?
                            Sorry for being a dummy about this. Never seen it done before..also, the scrollwork? custom made? or bought?
                            thanks Chris!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Chris, ok...before the railing is set in "stone", do you put the escutcheons in, then set the railing in the hole? then you tile over, then the escutcheons are what...epoxied down onto the tile?
                              Sorry for being a dummy about this. Never seen it done before..also, the scrollwork? custom made? or bought?
                              thanks Chris!!!!!!!!!!

Escutcheons are slipped on the railing before it is set. They can be glued down if you like. Tile went in before railing. They left our holes open for us.

Scroll work was cut with a water jet to my design. We had lots of time on the machine and it was not cheap.
                              The pattern on the fixture was cut in .050 aluminum. There were 4 sheets of 4' x 10'.

The railing was cut from 3/8" mild steel.

I out-source this cutting and when they hit me with the bill, it hit HARD.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.