Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Passport Plus and the 100 Spoolgun

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passport Plus and the 100 Spoolgun

I did a little aluminum welding this weekend with my new Passport Plus and my new spool gun. I had .030 wire and tried to weld 1/4" plate with not much luck. Not getting enough penetration. Then I noticed on the welding chart on the inside of the Passport door that .030 is only good up to 1/8. and .035 would be for 1/4'. Will the .035 wire really weld a lot better on the 1/4". What makes aluminum wire so material thickness specific? I just figured the .030 aluminum wire would handle the 1/4 plate with no issues. I figured I would just need a little more heat? Thanks....

It is a bit confusing, but with mine,.. I determined that you can increase the voltage with the bigger wire, and achieve better penetration.

The .030 is too small to add additional voltage, with it's limited wire speed.

IMO,.. Miller made a mistake by not allowing for a higher wfs in the aluminum mode.

IIRC with .030 wire,.. the highest voltage is "7", with wfs maxed at 100%, even with .035,..... the voltage is "9", with 100% wfs.

WTF Miller,....... we cant even max the voltage with .035 wire, because of the lack of feeder speed. Kind of messed up with that one.

Other than that glitch,... It seems to be a very good machine, and is quite handy for the small portable pita alum jobs.

Comment

whats going to burn through quicker? a tooth pic or a fencepost?

the same theory hold true for wire. that 5 thou difference makes alot of difference. as does swtching brands of wire or grade of wire. the harder the wire, the more heat you need to melt it. so 5356 will handle more current than 4043. If im wrong in my theory somebody interject and set this fellow and myself straight.

Comment

Regardless of the parameters, if you are going to try and weld 1/4" aluminum plate with your passport you might want to consider giving the material some preheat. Doncha think???

Comment

Originally posted by KB Fabrications View Post
          Regardless of the parameters, if you are going to try and weld 1/4" aluminum plate with your passport you might want to consider giving the material some preheat. Doncha think???

Gave it plenty of pre heat. Still did not help the penetration. But thanks for the obvious.

Comment

Veggie look at door chart first

Comment

Originally posted by West Coast View Post
              I just figured the .030 aluminum wire would handle the 1/4 plate with no issues.
              Why you figger?

Comment

Mine seems to weld 1/4" just fine, and have welded 3/8" with success.

Comment

Not necessarily, alot depends on the type of joint. Edge joints or small pieces will take less heat to melt, than the middle of a plate.

Comment

Regardless of the parameters, if you are going to try and weld 1/4" aluminum plate with your passport you might want to consider giving the material some preheat. Doncha think???:
                    If I had bought one of these machines and needed to pre-heat to weld 1/4" I would be VERY dissapointed with my purchase unless he is in the middle of some huge part. If he's talking about say something made out of 1/4" x 2" bar stock it should do that ok I would think

Originally posted by West Coast View Post
                    Gave it plenty of pre heat. Still did not help the penetration. But thanks for the obvious.
                    If I had bought one of these machines and penetration did not increase GREATLY with pre-heat on 1/4" I would either be getting it checked out or learn what in the heck I did NOT understand!! If either didn't work I would certainly send it down the road! Not having enuff power to do the job is the most frustrating thing about so many newer machines out there. I'd be calling MILLER before the sun set
                    The HH210 is rated for the same thicknesses as the PP+ but everybody on the Hobart Board praises its capability.
                    What voltage are you running on anyhow????

Are you saying that your Passport + will NOT weld 1/4" aluminum set at max even with pre-heat and taking your sweet time welding it???
                    I don't see much need for a machine you would have to LOOK for jobs it might handle once in a while.

Comment

Am I missing something,, but wouldn't a bigger wire carry more current giving more heat and allowing for slower speed or doesn't the V go high enough? I am confused already this morning.

Comment

Yes Cary,.... but the wire speed is quite limited. A snail crawls faster than the wfs at max. It wont keep up with the voltage, hence the arc lenth gets too great.

Comment

Originally posted by BBchevy396 View Post
                          Yes Cary,.... but the wire speed is quite limited. A snail crawls faster than the wfs at max. It wont keep up with the voltage, hence the arc lenth gets too great.
                          Sooo....are we saying that if you had a spoolgun that would run .047 the problem would be solved?

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
                            Sooo....are we saying that if you had a spoolgun that would run .047 the problem would be solved?
                            Sweeeeeet!!! I'll get right on drilling out some tips.

Comment

Sweeeeeet!!! I'll get right on drilling out some tips.
                              Oh ..and don't forget machining the drive rollers

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.