rock slider project (metal question)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rock slider project (metal question)

As my next project I am making some Rock Sliders for my truck (95 Nissan Pathfinder (4000 lbs))
    Using 2" x .120 wall DOM steel tubing, for mounting plates I am unsure what to use & am thinking grade 50 steel plates

(6" wide but what thickness would be recommended)

I am going to bolt & weld plates onto the frame outside & bottom of frame rail at 4 points on each side.
    Not sure if I made sense yet as I am just getting caffinated after a long night with an Exchange server I hate Bill Gates some days
    Last edited by MilwaukeeMike; 04-11-2008, 09:55 AM.
    Millermatic 210

Why Grade 50?

These are rock sliders not bridges

Seems like Mild Steel would work just fine.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Mild steel would work perfectly. No need for anything over 1/4". Chevy full size truck frames are made from 3/16".

A few well placed gussets and you'll be ready to slide.
      Syncrowave 250DX
      Invison 354MP
      XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
      Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
      Smith O/A rig
      And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

And why the heck would you want to use DOM for rock sliders, have you priced it yet? Mild steel will work perfectly for those.

Comment

I hate to say it but, a lot of wheelers use pipe for sliders. Pipe doesn't seem to dent as easy as DOM or mild steel tube.

Comment

I was going off of specs from other sliders with the DOM and at some point I would like to make a winch bumper. (I am in welding terms; a PC guy & welding is just a hobby which I enjoy greatly) wish I would have done more when I was younger!
            sliders seemed a safe enough test as if they fail I will just dent my truck. mild steel it is!-)

thanks for the direction, still learning my grades of steel
            Millermatic 210

Comment

Working...
            X