Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plasma cam

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plasma cam

Somebody mentioned the other day about using a plasma cam. My son made this sign for me at vo-tech. Its made from 2 pieces of 10 ga sheet metal on either side of a piece of .064" aluminum, riveted together. The frame we made from 1/2" square stock and put a twist in both uprights and the bottom cross piece. The 2 pcs of sheet metal were primed and painted on both sides to help with rust. When it does rust we can remove the rivets, sandblast and re-paint. This was the first project they did with the plasma cam, its brand new and they had fun doing it. It did a great job. I'll try to get him to take some pics of the plasma cam
    It was hard to get a picture that showed the depth, it looks like it was painted in most pics
    Attached Files

good looking sign.
    i know what you mean about trying to show depth, i took several pic's of this table i made trying to show there was 3/4" between the drilled white sheet and the cut black one on top, and they all look like its just one pice.
    mine was done free hand though, no plas-cam here. shore would be cool to have one though, bet you guys are going to have a blast with yours. what are you using as a cutter ??
    Attached Files

Comment

Its not my machine, It belongs to the vo-tech my son attends. Its brand new and cost, I think around 10K. Lot of money. He loves using it and is always asking me for stuff to take to school and cut out.
      They have a Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 81 in it. seems to work good. I'm like you, I would love to have one. But would probably take along time to pay for itself. I'll try to get him to take some pics of it. Seems pretty simple really. I understand they make one just like it now but has a router in it, instead of a plasma cutter, for wood

Thats an awesome looking table, looks like it was alot of work
      Last edited by HMW; 05-31-2007, 09:34 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

yea, its got to be neat to just pop a pic in it and watch it cut it out for ya, the router on wood shore sounds cool too.
        yep the tabel was a lot of work. i welded rings around the round stock to make it look like bam-boo, thought that was a nice tuch.

Comment

those are both good looking signs going to build me a welding sign

Comment

yeah, plasma cam is VERY cool! I saw it about 3 years ago in the mgazine from shop outfitters, and yes, it's 10K. You also need to buy your own computer and cutter. That's another reason why I bought the G3 1000. Hope my Hypertherm is still working by the time I can afford the plasma cam

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.