Parts tumbler

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kcstott View Post
    You need a gear box or something because a direct drive chain or belt would be one heck of a large driven gear. if you can get the motor to run @2000 rpm under load then a 10:1 ratio would be 200 rpm I'd say thats a wee bit fast. I would guess about 100 to 150 rpm would be fine.
    here's the formula
    RPM of motor / desired RPM of tumbler = ratio between drive and driven unit.
    2000/150=13.3333...
    So if you have a 3" gear on the motor you would need a gear 13.333 times larger on the tumbler or about 40" This is why I say a gear box. Worm drives start at 10:1 and go up from there.
    Could he take the "final drive ratio" into consideration? If it is a 12 inch drum and it is sitting on 4 inch drive rollers [just to start someplace], then it would appear as though he has 3:1 there. Assuming the overall ratio would need to be 13.333:1 - or greater, then a 5:1 ratio between the motor and the drive roller would seem to get about 15:1 overall. And the 5:1 at the motor might be easier to come by - larger motor pully and smaller driven pully than the 13:1 would require.

Or am I missing a salient point?

Arvid
    Last edited by arvidj; 04-13-2008, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Could you use the drum itself as the driven pulley?
      Tim Beeker,
      T-N-J Industries
      (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
      Esab 450i with wire feeder
      HH135 mig
      Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
      Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
      Marathon 315mm coldsaw
      vertical and horizontal band saws
      table saw
      Dewalt cut off saw
      Sand blast cabinet
      lots of hand grinders
      Harris torch
      beer fridge

Comment

If you try to turn an unbalanced drum at 150-200 rpm, it better be nailed down real good. I'd expect the media and parts to cling to the outside walls due to outward forces. Not much cleaning action that way.
        Nick
        Miller 252 Mig
        Miller Cricket XL
        Millermatic 150 Mig
        Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
        2-O/A outfits
        Jet Lathe and Mill
        Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
        DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
        Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
        20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
        Propane Forge
        60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
        Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
        and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

yes you could use the drum as part of the gearing you know with a belt drive or just dead weight on rollers and yes the difference between the drum and rollers would be your final drive ratio.

Monte
          150 to 200 rpm is slow it's about as fast as a home clothes dryer. Granted the slower the better in terms of safety but you still want the parts and medial to roll up the wall of the drum and fall over on itself better yet get a VFD and a three phase motor then just dial in the frequency you desire to get the correct speed.
          Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
          Millermatic 252 on the wish list
          Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
          South bend lathe 10LX40
          K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
          Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
          A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
          Auto shades are for rookies
          www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

Originally posted by kcstott View Post
            yes you could use the drum as part of the gearing you know with a belt drive or just dead weight on rollers and yes the difference between the drum and rollers would be your final drive ratio.

Monte
            150 to 200 rpm is slow it's about as fast as a home clothes dryer. Granted the slower the better in terms of safety but you still want the parts and medial to roll up the wall of the drum and fall over on itself better yet get a VFD and a three phase motor then just dial in the frequency you desire to get the correct speed.
            I don't know what kind of dryer you have but mine travels at 48 rpm. Now if I
            increase the speed times 3-4 times, the clothes would be stuck to the drum walls.
            Nick
            Miller 252 Mig
            Miller Cricket XL
            Millermatic 150 Mig
            Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
            2-O/A outfits
            Jet Lathe and Mill
            Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
            DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
            Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
            20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
            Propane Forge
            60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
            Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
            and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

We made a chain gear driven 24"*36" tumbler for doing angle and flat stock, , the inside had 4 horizontal plates about 3" high the whole width. Gear reduction box gave us a speed of about 60 rpm. The best media I found was slugs from the ironworker, granite and grindstones just did not last more than a few hours and did not works anywhere as well. 5 hours compared to 30 min....Now as far as the noise, you could hear that baby 2 blocks away in an industrial area!!!!!!
              I would line with floor mats screwed to the inside. We often loaded 300 to 500 lbs in that baby, sure made deburring nice. Hope this helps, Paul
              More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

I have built a few peanut roasters . . . .

I have built a few commercial peanut roasters, which are basically tumblers with burners underneath. You can avoid the expense of a gear box by using a double reduction. ie . . . motor pulley 1.5" to a 14" pulley on a set of bosses, that shaft has a 1.5" pulley to a second 14" pulley attached to your drum, coming off a standard 120 vac motor turning 1750 rpm would yield 20 rpm on your drum. Adjust pulley sizes as needed. You can buy aluminum cast pulleys at Grainger fairly cheap. In my later nut roasters I used a gear motor. They were nice, but very expensive. Since you really have no space constraints or OSHA requirements to meet, this is the way I would go.

Efficient, cheap & quite . . .
                Millermatic 251
                Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"
                Milwaulkee Grinder 4 1/2"
                Clark Grinder 4 1/2"

Comment

Working...
                X