Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parts tumbler

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts tumbler

I am in the process of building a parts tumbler measuring 36" long by 12" diameter. It will be powdered by a gas engine and chain driven, what I need is the drive sproket and driven sproket sizes.
    I would appreciate any help.

Troye

That thing is going to be noisy! Why not go with a belt?

Comment

if youre bent on using chain and sprockets, try a farm supply place. A Co-Op or the like. These guys seem to have all that kinda farm stuff on hand. I thing the belt is better too. more forgiving easier to source out, if something goes wrong the belt will break rather than tearing hte rig apart (potentially)

Or look in the phone book under chain and sprockets..

Comment

i would recommend a belt too...
        no need for a chain on something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Anti-GMAW View Post
          That thing is going to be noisy! Why not go with a belt?
          And the tumbling parts are quiet?

Sorry just had to ask.

Comment

Little advice?

I haven't really seen a tumbler worth its salt other that AnCar commercial tumbling tubes. They are either too small too big and almost everyone is over priced! Making your own is O.K., but here is a little tip/advice. We bought an electric long barrel cement mixer for $495.00 filled it (1/3) with media (steel shoot, walnut shells, glass and whatever we need) and it works absolutely 100% awesome.

A little grub for thought.
            TacMig

Comment

great idea

That is a very good idea.Love seeing and hearing other peoples ideas,started a sandblasting business for my 16 year old son.This parts tumbler is just right for the young man.Abrasive Al's Sandblasting needs one for sure.Thank you.Will let you know how it works out.Was asked about doing a scuba tank,inside a steel one.Never done one ,don't know if I should try it.Any help would be nice.

Comment

John P I do scuba tank service all the time. I have worked as a scube service tech for about 4 years. I used to run 2 tumbers non stop around this time of year. What do you want to know? Here's mine that I posted for troye on welding web.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=20645

Feel free to email me or pm me on any thing you need to know about doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by SignWave View Post
                  Or look in the phone book under chain and sprockets..
                  careful you might end up calling some bondage place

Comment

Here is a unit I made for rolling spray in bedliner mat'l. tis a belt drive to the rollers w/a 1/3 hp motor. A drum 3'x1' is kinda tiny IMHO, but I suppose it depends on the parts that are being tumbled. Sometime back a fellow from AZ on the motorsports side(I think) built one using a plastic 55gal. drum, should have been somewhat quieter. If you go w/chain, for the pig rotisserie purchased mine from Granger.
                    Good luck
                    L*S
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Leons2003; 04-11-2008, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by welderman23 View Post
                      careful you might end up calling some bondage place
                      WOW!! Looks like you and Anti-Gmaw have something in common after all !!! (same mindset)

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                        WOW!! Looks like you and Anti-Gmaw have something in common after all !!! (same mindset)
                        Hey! Are you waching through my windows!?!

Comment

Originally posted by FATFAB View Post
                          And the tumbling parts are quiet?

Sorry just had to ask.
                          No, but why make it any louder than neccesary?

Comment

Originally posted by Anti-GMAW View Post
                            Hey! Are you waching through my windows!?!
                            Nope, just heard the ambulance, poked my head out, and saw them stopping at your house...Cops said you were screaming, then you passed out unconcious...
                            I came over and told the cops, don't bother...its normal for him

Comment

Originally posted by troye View Post
                              I am in the process of building a parts tumbler measuring 36" long by 12" diameter. It will be powdered by a gas engine and chain driven, what I need is the drive sproket and driven sproket sizes.
                              I would appreciate any help.

Troye
                              You need a gear box or something because a direct drive chain or belt would be one heck of a large driven gear. if you can get the motor to run @2000 rpm under load then a 10:1 ratio would be 200 rpm I'd say thats a wee bit fast. I would guess about 100 to 150 rpm would be fine.
                              here's the formula
                              RPM of motor / desired RPM of tumbler = ratio between drive and driven unit.
                              2000/150=13.3333...
                              So if you have a 3" gear on the motor you would need a gear 13.333 times larger on the tumbler or about 40" This is why I say a gear box. Worm drives start at 10:1 and go up from there.

Have you thought of using a vibe set up
                              Motor could power this at full RPM just set up a counter weight and adjust to get desired effect.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.