No announcement yet.

New Welding Talbe... Finished!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I right there with you. I used to bolt them everytime, now I make a judgement call. If I had a Scotchman to shear and punch out the holes, maybe I'd always bolt them; I have bandsaws and drill presses, so I know I'm much faster with a MIG than I am with a saw, a drill, some hardware and a ratchet. Besides, if it's for myself, I figure if something breaks ten years down, I can always cut it out- worst case scenario.
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

Comment

I'm assuming you're welding the bolt holes?
      Miller Maxstar 200 DX
      RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
      Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
      Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
      Hitachi 4.5" grinder
      http://mhayesdesign.com

Comment

Unless I'm putting it along an open side (where the caster base plate is longer than the pad on the frame), I rosette weld the bolt holes and haven't had any come off yet, otherwise I'll run a fillet along the plate.
        Syncrowave 250DX
        Invison 354MP
        XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
        Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
        Smith O/A rig
        And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

More and more good reasons to pick up a mig. Gotta fix my electrical dilemma first and also my money dilemma.
          Miller Maxstar 200 DX
          RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
          Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
          Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
          Hitachi 4.5" grinder
          http://mhayesdesign.com

Comment

One of the beauties of stick welding is that you can weld threw all kinds of crap including plating. It would be hard to think of anything that you cannot stick weld. Not to say that it will be as nice looking as tig or mig every time, but it is definatly the most versital and you can use it in wind,rain,snow what ever.

Comment

Originally posted by mooseye View Post
              One of the beauties of stick welding is that you can weld threw all kinds of crap including plating. It would be hard to think of anything that you cannot stick weld. Not to say that it will be as nice looking as tig or mig every time, but it is definatly the most versital and you can use it in wind,rain,snow what ever.
              Thank you.

I was trying to emphasize this a while back in this thread.
              As far as looks go... some of the tidiest welding I've seen was done by accomplished stick weldors...
              ...Just check out Flangejockey's work sometime.
              Maxstar 200DX
              Maxstar 300DX
              Dynasty 200DX
              Passport
              Spectrum 701
              LMSW-52 spot welder

Comment

Originally posted by chris***@sbcglo View Post
                Thank you.

I was trying to emphasize this a while back in this thread.
                As far as looks go... some of the tidiest welding I've seen was done by accomplished stick weldors...
                ...Just check out Flangejockey's work sometime.
                Hey Chris,
                Can't you do pretty much everything with Flux Core that you can with a stick?
                Isn't FCAW a faster process and results in less waste (ie small left over electrodes) than SMAW?
                Thanks,
                Nick

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi View Post
                  Hey Chris,
                  Can't you do pretty much everything with Flux Core that you can with a stick?
                  Isn't FCAW a faster process and results in less waste (ie small left over electrodes) than SMAW?
                  Thanks,
                  Nick
                  Sorta Yes but in this case tasslehawf has a 200DX and Chris was trying to point out that it is an Excellent SMAW machine and to use it in that mode.
                  Ed Conley
                  http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                  MM252
                  MM211
                  Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                  TA185
                  Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                  O/A set
                  SO 2020 Bender
                  You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                    Sorta Yes but in this case tasslehawf has a 200DX and Chris was trying to point out that it is an Excellent SMAW machine and to use it in that mode.
                    Well, thanks for clarifying, Ed.

Yes, Kiwi, Tassle's working with a Maxstar and, if I remember correctly, was working with some heavier, dirtier material. The plating, combined with welding out of doors was giving him Tungsten contamination issues. So... I said, change it over to SMAW and burn it in, dawg!

Sure, if he had a MIG machine, that table would have been done ZING-BANG! Fluxcore or not. But, he has a Maxstar and it's all good.

Hey Tassle, I dig your table idea... I'm not at all knocking your work... I'm just putting in my .02 about your machine's capabilites as I see it. I have the same machine (Maxstar 200DX) and it rocks in both modes.

If I'm out on an installation and don't have my Passport with me, I'll ALWAYS bring some rods for the Maxstar. Sometimes the situation is just too persnickety for GTAW.

Your fluxcore vs. SMAW question is probably better suited for the hardcore heavy metal weldors on this site. I don't run any fluxcore for my kind of work, but I will occassionally burn some rods when it's appropriate.
                    Maxstar 200DX
                    Maxstar 300DX
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Passport
                    Spectrum 701
                    LMSW-52 spot welder

Comment

Originally posted by chris***@sbcglo View Post
                      Well, thanks for clarifying, Ed.

Yes, Kiwi, Tassle's working with a Maxstar and, if I remember correctly, was working with some heavier, dirtier material. The plating, combined with welding out of doors was giving him Tungsten contamination issues. So... I said, change it over to SMAW and burn it in, dawg!

Sure, if he had a MIG machine, that table would have been done ZING-BANG! Fluxcore or not. But, he has a Maxstar and it's all good.

Hey Tassle, I dig your table idea... I'm not at all knocking your work... I'm just putting in my .02 about your machine's capabilites as I see it. I have the same machine (Maxstar 200DX) and it rocks in both modes.

If I'm out on an installation and don't have my Passport with me, I'll ALWAYS bring some rods for the Maxstar. Sometimes the situation is just too persnickety for GTAW.

Your fluxcore vs. SMAW question is probably better suited for the hardcore heavy metal weldors on this site. I don't run any fluxcore for my kind of work, but I will occassionally burn some rods when it's appropriate.
                      Chris and Ed,
                      Sorry, that was my mistake. When I saw his signature line I read it as a MM 180 instead of a Syncrowave 180. That is why I brought up the FCAW as opposed to the SMAW.
                      Nick

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi View Post
                        Chris and Ed,
                        Sorry, that was my mistake. When I saw his signature line I read it as a MM 180 instead of a Syncrowave 180. That is why I brought up the FCAW as opposed to the SMAW.
                        Nick
                        Nick, It was a good question. I don't see any reason for you to apologise.
                        Maxstar 200DX
                        Maxstar 300DX
                        Dynasty 200DX
                        Passport
                        Spectrum 701
                        LMSW-52 spot welder

Comment

Working...
                        X