Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What has 104 parts, 592 welds and takes 2 guys all weekend to make?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What has 104 parts, 592 welds and takes 2 guys all weekend to make?

Built us a new metal rack. Got to the point around here that metal was everywhere in little stacks, up against the wall, stuck here, tripping over it over there.

So we knocked out a new one. 4' wide, 7' tall, 3 sections. first section is 4 foot wide, second section is 3 foot wide, for a total rack length of 7 feet. That way an 8 foot stick is well supported in 3 spots, and a 12' stick (what we normally cut stuff to for storage) is only hanging out 30" on either end, and has good support.

Main uprights are 1/4" wall, the crossbars are 1/8" wall.

What a bugger of a job. Took 2 of us all weekend to get it knocked out. First 30-40 welds were perfect, and as the weekend wore on you got to the point where you cared less and less about how it looked, but just that it would be structurally sound. Toward the end it was "C'mon man, it's your turn to weld...", "No way man, I've been welding since lunch, it's your turn..."... ...lol...

Comment

The worst of it is, that it's not all on there yet, and the aluminum isn't on there... *UGH*...

Plus, we needed to get this built. Ever tried to store a coffin? (it's going to eventually find life as a go-kart). hmm, a coffin finding life, kind of ironic isn't it.
      Last edited by vectorsolid; 04-07-2008, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vectorsolid View Post
        Plus, we needed to get this built. Ever tried to store a coffin? (it's going to eventually find life as a go-kart). hmm, a coffin finding life, kind of ironic isn't it.
        If I see him,. I'll ask a friend where he stores his coffins. (funeral director) He'll get a kick out of a go-kart. Post when you get around to it. ( I know his answer to where to store them.... In the ground!)

For some reason I have vissions of " The Munsters " wen I read that statement on the kart.

Nice rack by the way. Yeah I can see the welding getting old fast.

Comment

The worst of it is, that it's not all on there yet, and the aluminum isn't on there... *UGH*...

I was going to ask whose coffin it was.

I think it would make a much better hot rod, but for it's size you could make a go-kart sized hot rod coffin.

Also, nice rack.

I'll have to figure something out soon. Only problem is it has to be outdoor storage.

Comment

Originally posted by tasslehawf View Post

Also, nice rack.
            And how often do you get to say that to another dude?

I've got an 18hp opposed twin cylinder engine in mind for the cart project. That way I can have a pipe sticking up on either side of the coffin.

Comment

Also, nice rack.

And how often do you get to say that to another dude?
              Let us hope not TOO often

Comment

I've got an 18hp opposed twin cylinder engine in mind for the cart project. That way I can have a pipe sticking up on either side of the coffin.
                Yeah. That's what I was figuring would look best.

Comment

I agree, nice job and well worth the effort. I did one similar but used 4 sets of uprights.

Comment

With a project like that the welding could be engineered to some extent. Either top and bottom of the tube or a pass down 2 sides. It certainly doesn't hurt to weld 100% but with that design I would weld top and bottom.
                    We built a gob of tube work for a new plant, I would count the tubes, figure out the cut list and have the steel yard stack/gang cut, build the legs stacked or make a master and clamp the rest to that, set it up so all the welds are vert down, 2 welds per tube.
                    Building a 1 off rack for ones own shop can tolerate the time and material in-efficiencies so to speak. One of the reasons I would invest in new materials would be to get the use of someone else's big equipment, I make use of the yards shear, big saws, etc. Like you guys I rarely have to haul long materials. Have some cuts made when I buy and can fit it in a pickup truck.

Comment

It is a nice job and don't mean to lose sight of that but since this is a discussion forum of ideas this is a good project to give some slight critique to. A couple of slight design and bracing changes would have allowed for ease of construction and allowed to double the storage capacity. I wish I was a draftsman, this post design is basically very good in principle.

Comment

Sberry,
                        ok, now that you got me and I'm sure others wondering, I'm sure it could be BRACED differently (though I have no clue how, some of those "branches" might not hold, depending on how much more metal he adds on top), how would he double the capacity???More branches?

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                          Sberry,
                          ok, now that you got me and I'm sure others wondering, I'm sure it could be BRACED differently (though I have no clue how, some of those "branches" might not hold, depending on how much more metal he adds on top), how would he double the capacity???More branches?
                          The way I tend to design my pieces, I would have simply ran several sq. tubing pieces between the uprights. I could see there could be some concern with the "spindly" cross braces.

Comment

The way I tend to design my pieces, I would have simply ran several sq. tubing pieces between the uprights. I could see there could be some concern with the "spindly" cross braces.

well, if you ran "several", makes me think you would run them horizontally to fit them in, but that would let it sway. He went diagonally, which is a better way. or am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                              well, if you ran "several", makes me think you would run them horizontally to fit them in, but that would let it sway. He went diagonally, which is a better way. or am I wrong?
                              I made a larger rack (8') with no diagonal bracing and one long span instead of a support in the middle. In fact, I use angle iron instead of sq. tubing to attach the two ends together and there was no sway.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.