Workspace Dilemma.... suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workspace Dilemma.... suggestions?

Since July 07 when I gave up my 3000 sq. ft. rented workspace (for financial reasons), I have worked on small projects most in the back yard at home. In January I got my Maxstar 200dx. Since then I have done 3 or 4 welding projects and am starting on my first paid welding job of the year.

Currently there are a number of issues with my setup. First of all I don't have 220 power. Second I don't really have a dedicated place to work. I've been cutting, grinding and welding in the grass/dirt in our (luckily not yet landscaped) yard. My wife is ok with me doing this, but doesn't like it when I leave everything out covered in tarps. And eventually she will want to start landscaping.

I've been considering a couple different options. First I though of pouring a concrete pad, adding steel uprights and a corrugated roof. Then running power from the (yet to be installed) new sub panel in the garage and attaching an outlet box the one of the uprights. The problems with this setup are first that I don't have anything keeping me from throwing sparks when a grind/cut. Also I can't keep anything out there because it's not protected from theft/weather.

My other thought was the buy a steel building and put in up instead in the same spot. This would be THE solution, but I don't think my wife will go for it because it's visually ugly for the back yard and reduces the openness of the yard (it's not very big).

Although I don't have the cash right now, I am also tempted to tear down the garage and build a bigger one.

I was also trying to think of a temporary/easy solution that I wouldn't have to permit/could take down eventually. Or building something that looks good.

We do have a garage, but it's full of stuff. I did do a job where I took everything out first and then worked inside. It was nice being protected by the sun, but I hate to have to empty it out every time. Plus I can weld, but I can't grind in the garage.

I plan on upgrading the power to the garage no matter what so even if I don't have a dedicated work spot at least I'll have my power.

Does anyone know of a way to control sparks while grinding? Maybe I'll have to rig something up.

The biggest issue for me at the moment is to figure out what to do in the short-term.
    Last edited by tasslehawf; 04-01-2008, 10:03 PM.
    Miller Maxstar 200 DX
    RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
    Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
    Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
    Hitachi 4.5" grinder
    http://mhayesdesign.com

I would (am going to do this summer when we move) take everything out of the garage thats not project related. If your getting payed to make stuff you can deduct your rent/morgage at the end of the year that way. Then put the other stuff into a storage shed.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Lincoln 140
    O/A
    Gradatim vincimus
    "We conquer by degrees."

Comment

Work is work..

Rent/mortgage and bills are much uglier than any steel work building you need to make a living. If welding is your life bread, do what you need to do to stay alive. If it's a hobby or part time fun ticket producer, than maybe that steel building is ugly.

TacMig
      We depend On:
      Miller | Esab | Lincoln | Fronius
      Baileigh | Drake | Eagle | Knuth
      Victor | Harris | Smith | Bessey
      Snap-On | Hilti | Ingersoll Rand
      Burco/Koco | Onan | BobCat
      Tracker | Infratrol | AmeriCast

We belong to or support:
      American National Standards Institute
      American Welding Society
      The Welding Institute
      Fabricators & Manufacturing Association Int'l.

Anderson & Co. LLC
      Metal Cr
      afters

Comment

Originally posted by tacmig View Post
        Rent/mortgage and bills are much uglier than any steel work building you need to make a living. If welding is your life bread, do what you need to do to stay alive. If it's a hobby or part time fun ticket producer, than maybe that steel building is ugly.

TacMig
        Metalwork is a part-time business. I do a lot of different things. I'm supposed to be a designer, but I just like the hands-on too much.

I'm leaning towards figuring out how to clean out the garage now.
        Miller Maxstar 200 DX
        Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
        Hitachi 4.5" grinder

Comment

Sounds good.

Originally posted by tasslehawf View Post
          Metalwork is a part-time business. I do a lot of different things. I'm supposed to be a designer, but I just like the hands-on too much.

I'm leaning towards figuring out how to clean out the garage now.
          Sounds great, good luck. My suggestion: Lots of overhead storage. Only make fast access to things you use often. Plastic tots can be stored outside or other areas subjected to weather area. Maybe build a small/medium shed?

Happy welding,

TacMig
          We depend On:

We belong to or support:
          American Welding Society
          The Welding Institute

Anderson & Co. LLC
          Metal Cr
          afters

Comment

Originally posted by tacmig View Post
            Sounds great, good luck. My suggestion: Lots of overhead storage. Only make fast access to things you use often. Plastic tots can be stored outside or other areas subjected to weather area. Maybe build a small/medium shed?

Happy welding,

TacMig
            Currently there is a small badly-designed attached storage shed. I am thinking tear that down and put a small free-standing building to store everything in. From the best I can tell, if it's under 120 sq. ft. it doesn't need to be permitted (esp. if it doesn't have any electrical or plumbing).
            Miller Maxstar 200 DX
            Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
            Hitachi 4.5" grinder

Comment

You might want to look into insurance on this matter if you plan to weld in your garage.If you are in city limits its not permissible to run a business out of a residential zoned house.And insurance sure as **** will not pay a dine if it is burned down from this. If its just tig,no worries just do the grinding outside.If you plan to stick weld or mig then there is a possible potential for a fire hazzard.
              2- XMT's 350 cc/cv
              1- Blue star 185
              1- BOBCAT 250
              1- TRAILBLAZER 302
              1- MILLER DVI
              2- PASSPORT PLUS
              1- DYNASTY 200 DX
              1- DYNASTY 280 DX
              1- MAXSTAR 150 STL
              1- HF-251 BOX
              1- S-74D
              1- S-75DXA
              2- 12-RC SUITCASES
              1- 8-VS SUITCASE
              2- 30 A SPOOLGUNS

Comment

Get a couple welding blankets from HF and build a Grinding "booth".

Landscape the yard with Gravel & cactus- you don't want to spend money on watering the grass in a desert anyway
                Ed Conley
                http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                MM252
                MM211
                Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                TA185
                Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                O/A set
                SO 2020 Bender
                You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Fabricator,

Different rules for different cities.

We can have a home business, but are limited to 2 customers a day on the premises and cannot have non-family member employees. We're also restricted in what kind of signs we have outside the house, but that's about it.

Also, my homeowners insurance knows I have a machine shop and do welding and plasma cutting inside the "house" and it's perfectly acceptable. However, they will not cover any business related incidents.
                  Syncrowave 250DX
                  Invison 354MP
                  XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                  Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
                  Smith O/A rig
                  And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Good advice!

Originally posted by tasslehawf View Post
                    Currently there is a small badly-designed attached storage shed. I am thinking tear that down and put a small free-standing building to store everything in. From the best I can tell, if it's under 120 sq. ft. it doesn't need to be permitted (esp. if it doesn't have any electrical or plumbing).
                    Where we are as long as the building is less than 150 Sq/Ft. and contains no electrical or plumbing a permit is not required as long as no one complains and you obey the setback rules i.e 10 feet from fence etc. Some other good advice as previously posted by others and perhaps the best is to contact your insurer and get the necessary additional coverage. You don't want the fire inspecters report to mention that the fire was or even may have been caused by the use of welding! The xtra $$ for the coverage shouldn't be too bad.

Good luck,

TacMig
                    We depend On:

We belong to or support:
                    American Welding Society
                    The Welding Institute

Anderson & Co. LLC
                    Metal Cr
                    afters

Comment

Originally posted by fabricator View Post
                      You might want to look into insurance on this matter if you plan to weld in your garage..
                      There would be few issues with insurance for a non-business welding related claim. That's why it's called insurance! If you're wrenching on your car in the garage, and the water heater is on the floor still, and you break the gas line, and it all goes boom from the water heater pilot, you'll get a check from your insurance carrier.

Welding = same thing, according to my agent at State Farm.

Hak
                      ...from the Gadget Garage
                      Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
                      Handler 210 w/DP3035
                      TA185TSW
                      Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

Originally posted by hankj View Post
                        There would be few issues with insurance for a non-business welding related claim. That's why it's called insurance! If you're wrenching on your car in the garage, and the water heater is on the floor still, and you break the gas line, and it all goes boom from the water heater pilot, you'll get a check from your insurance carrier.

Welding = same thing, according to my agent at State Farm.

Hak
                        And your life insurance, in that situation!
                        Miller Maxstar 200 DX
                        Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
                        Hitachi 4.5" grinder

Comment

My agent didn't bat an eye when I mentioned open flame OA inside the proposed (at that time) addition. He said as long as it wasn't in violation of local ordinances - they'd cover it.

Business related - "We don't insure businesses." Also State Farm.
                          Syncrowave 250DX
                          Invison 354MP
                          XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                          Smith O/A rig

Comment

I'm not remotely qualified to give inusrance or zoning advice.

If you have a home business you can basicly take the % of the sq fottage of your home used for hte business and deduct that % from your heating bills etc from your taxes. talk to an accountant for exact details but you can deduct a lot if it's your business.

as far as all the crap in your garage, it's most likely just that. crap. if it's been in a box for a year, take it to the dump or sell it, you don't need it. look at it this way: it's preventing you from making money. If you could make more working than it would cost to put it in storage,, than that stuff is COSTING you money to keep. Get a frient to come over and help you throw things away. someone not emotionally attached to any of it.

<--- suffers from pack-rat-ism. trying to reform.
                            Millermatic 180 Auto Set

Comment

Originally posted by jweller View Post
                              I'm not remotely qualified to give inusrance or zoning advice.

If you have a home business you can basicly take the % of the sq fottage of your home used for hte business and deduct that % from your heating bills etc from your taxes. talk to an accountant for exact details but you can deduct a lot if it's your business.
                              Once you claim a deduction for the business use space (home office or shop), you then become liable to repay that when you sell the house. It's not a simple proposition like it's purported to be.
                              Syncrowave 250DX
                              Invison 354MP
                              XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                              Smith O/A rig

Comment

Working...
                              X