Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spoolgun frustrations

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spoolgun frustrations

I think I finally figured out my problems with my spoolguns. My heat was too high. All along I was thinking I gad gas coverage issues. The MM 210 gives a setting of 6/70 for 1/4", I turned it down and things got much better. I found a setting of 5/60 worked real well. Heres a few before/after pics. Adam

I thought these got resized, apparently not. sorry for you guys w/dialup.

Comment

Nice work. Spoolguns are tricky at first. By the time you get them set right the jobs done unless its a big one...Bob

Comment

nice job! big difference!!!

Comment

Wow;
          what a difference; very nice weld in the last pic

Comment

Looks like my before and after shots. Before I learned to tig aluminum and after.
            I've never seen miged aluminum and have to say I'm impressed.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I prefer to tig but the spoolgun is so much faster. I am going to start working on my vertical with it now that I have my welds looking decent. Adam

Comment

Thanks For The Advice And The Pictures , I Have The Same Set Up As You , But So Far The Spool Gun Is Still Brand New In The Box , Did Not Have A Chance To Use It , But It's Comming .

Bobby

Comment

I recently bought a 3035 for my mig machine,was very impressed with the ease of welding & weld quality. The recommendations inside the welder cover are very hot. I used to work at a job where I would use a Spoolmate II. It was very finicky, always burning back & ruining tips. I still use Tig for most of my Aluminum welding, but a friend just got me a side job of some forklift ramps; the spoolgun will get a workout.

Comment

i have a 210 with a spool gun and noticed that very same effect.. i did a alum. project a while back and had to crank it down .. even though usually the alum. needs more heat the steel.

also dont forget you may had a little higher input of voltage then what the machine is calibrated for.. i know i get exactly 234 out of my outlet.. and im linked for 230 on my machine..

Comment

dont mean to thread-jack...

for those with the spool gun especially on the MM210 how thin can you manage to weld im having no luck at all on 1/8" i now have a TIG too but just wondering i never did get that spool gun figured out i just figured it was for 1/4" and up

Comment

I have not tried 1/8" yet chris. I may give it a try this weekend.

Comment

ive welded thiner then 1/8" with my spoolmate.. welds just fine..just had to turn down the amp nob and speed.. the guy at my LWS once told me that the spoolmate doesnt need as much amps as your M25 gun does b/c it only uses the 1lb spools instead.. i just nodded and smiled and cashed out..not sure why he said that..doesnt make alot of sense..

Comment

Originally posted by bob_e95482 View Post
                            I recently bought a 3035 for my mig machine,was very impressed with the ease of welding & weld quality. The recommendations inside the welder cover are very hot. I used to work at a job where I would use a Spoolmate II. It was very finicky, always burning back & ruining tips. I still use Tig for most of my Aluminum welding, but a friend just got me a side job of some forklift ramps; the spoolgun will get a workout.
                            What causes the burning back, thus ruining the tips? I have the same issues and trying to find an answer?

Comment

Originally posted by captcbw View Post
                              What causes the burning back, thus ruining the tips? I have the same issues and trying to find an answer?
                              The tips nose dia is too small they heat up and the hole gets smaller. I converted my 3035 spoolgun over to the standard Miller mig gun tip and never looked back. I can even run a .030 tip with .035 alum wire and do it all day long with zero issues. All you need to do is remove the copper head tube from the barrel, chuck it up in a lathe and remove a good 1/16" from the length. Drill and tap it for 1/4-28 and put it back together. Problems gone. Plus you only need to stock one style tip instead of 2 different ones. Why didn't Miller or the other copy cats do this from the beginning...Good question. If anyone needs the lathe work done hit me up...Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.