No announcement yet.

Stainless project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got my tool box fitted and welded together I just have to figure out how to use my camera to get the pictures on the computer I am very happy and happy at the results I got it may have warped a little but not enough to even complain about it was just on the side of the box. Hardly any burn through only at the parts that had a little but of a gap, Pictures will be on every soon I promise you!
    Thanks for reading I hope my post helped

Ryan

Comment

cool
      did you back purge or use a paste or just wing it ??
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

I just went for it. I just told my self what is there to lose besides learning what and what not to do and I guess I just put all 100% confidence in myself and it worked...

Ryan

Comment

16gage with no back gassing ?? ou eather have some ugly inside seems or you dont have verry good penitration, i would take a good look at the strangth of the welds. melting filler onto the top is not a good weld. not trying to be a pain or a jerk, i just dont see a good solid weld on 16gage SS without back gassing or some ugly insides.
          thanks for the help
          ......or..........
          hope i helped
          sigpic
          feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
          summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
          JAMES

Comment

fun4now I agree I may not have 100% penetration but from what I was told there I should have just enough penetration, I looked at the back sides and it didn't look too bad. I have a couple of burn through pieces but other then that it really looked pretty good. I wish I could have perged it but no one was around to help do that I didn't think about using something to cover the whole area and just put the perge hose in that and tape it shut but for next time I do this I will make sure it is done better. I really only built this tool box for a fathers day present and my father isn't what you would call a gear head so it will suit him for what he will use it for. Also next time I will be building one I'm hoping that I can build it out of alluminum diamond plate so that will be something I'm going to be looking forward to building. But I will still be posting pictures of it very shortly I still have to find the camera and the installing disc.

Ryan

Comment

Well I was asking about purging for stainless and what do you know, I run into a stainless job. I had a pool railing that was 1.90" OD and wall .065". It fits into 2 pockets in the pool and over the years the wedges that hold it in, and people yanking on it had dented in the side where the wedges fit. My job was to get the dents out [no time to order new rail] So... I drove an exhaust pipe expander in each end and pushed the dents out, worked good except I couldnt expand it enough to get the expander out...It had to fit back in the pockets at the pool..So I split the tube and pulled it out. I welded up both slpits and it seemed OK, looked inside and it didnt look to funny. Each weld was only about 6 inchs long and seemed to weld nice. I didn't back purge it, of course you cant see it, it's in the concrete. But it didn't weld funny either, looked nice on the outside. Tightened up real nice and looked good. I only have One large bottle of Argon, what arrangements do you use to back purge from the same bottle. Or do you use a different bottle?
              Scott
              HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

When working on the project if I was to use purging I would end up having another bottle there are many hoses around every work station at DME so you really have 2 areas to get argon.

Ryan

Comment

I've thought about getting a small bottle of argon mostly for a spare. I use it about 90% of the time on the tig and just change hoses if I want to use the spool gun, the machines are side by side. But I have ran out a couple of times. I do have several bottles of mix though
                  Scott
                  HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

Just put a Y conector on the end of the regulator. They sell them with valves on them to shut one off when not in use. You just turn your flow rate up a little bit more when running a purge.

Comment

you got pics?
                      Millermatic 135
                      Syncrowave 200 with coolmate 3
                      Hypertherm powermax 30

were I am when I am home
                      http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...5/IMG_7413.jpg

Comment

you can also get a Y for befor the regulator and run 2 reg's if you want better controle of your torch flow. you LWS should have both options on hand.i have an extra reg. so i plan on Ying befor the reg's.
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        JAMES

Comment

If you can't see it don't sweat it that's my take,..unless its stainless pipe

Originally posted by youngwelder_154 View Post
                          I was thinking hard about purging it but since it will be an open ends theres no way I can do it with out the help of another person. I have no one at the shop to help me so I'm thinking I'm just going to fuse the ends together since its just 16g I might need a little filler but other then that I think ill be good to go. Today I'm ready to start the welding of my project so wish me luck
                          Unless its visible you should be fine.
                          Last edited by Redeagle; 03-03-2013, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X