Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

My side gig....thanks for the help!!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My side gig....thanks for the help!!

A few months back I had requested some help for bending handles. Anyways, I made this multi purpose battering ram/SWAT type tool for a friend's new company. Anyways, it's called the jersey boot and I have made the first 100. It's been a good learning experience and money maker too. Dave http://youtube.com/watch?v=wmSnRPHsgtM

cool

fuzzy video tho..had trouble reading it

Comment

That's a pretty cool tool. Nice pitch. Congrats. But, yeah, the text in that video needs work.

Comment

"One tool does it all" - but you need two of them to do most of what they were showing.

Nothing in that video couldn't be better accomplished with a 12# maul for far less money or space in the squad car.

Comment

Wow!

That looks really cool. I hope you sell a million.

Good luck,
          Ben

Comment

turbo38t

You sold a 100 of them already???!!!! GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!
            Hope you got a patent on it!
            All of us are looking for our "break", glad you found yours!!!

Comment

Hate to spoil the party..

Hate to spoil the party but.....pry-rams are already out there and used by S.W.A.T, Police and military all over the world. I'm not a huge fan of violence so I would have to give it a 1 with my personal opinion being that welding should be used to provide for man not to destroy. Maybe it's just me but that's my 2 cents.

TacMig

Comment

Originally posted by tacmig View Post
                my personal opinion being that welding should be used to provide for man not to destroy. Maybe it's just me but that's my 2 cents.

TacMig
                Not to stir the pot but how is law enforcement NOT providing for man???
                and you can't destroy anything...you can only change its state of matter.

Comment

Oh boy here we go....

Originally posted by kcstott View Post
                  Not to stir the pot but how is law enforcement NOT providing for man???
                  and you can't destroy anything...you can only change its state of matter.
                  Law enforcement does provide for man (most of the time anyway). With that said, there is a place, a need and a call for weapons of all types known to protect and defend. However, I don't (in my opinion) feel that these project boards are a good forum to create and share destructive devices. Just my 2 cents as mentioned earlier. I can still only give it a 1. Oh on "matter": (Had to brush up on my college physics a tad). Matter is in fact destroyed in a nuclear and/or atomic reaction, in that it's converted into energy and matter no longer exists. The fundamental law of physics is that matter in terms of energy can not be destroyed. This provides that you must have one or the other. However you can convert matter to energy and vise versa therefore, the destruction or elimination of one single element. It can be destroyed without displacing matter..

With the exception of the physical relation of matter, the fore-mentioned is just my opinion..

TacMig...

Comment

I'll let my budy know the vid needs some work. I don't get anything besides what I get paid to make em(and a few tshirts lol), but it's definitely been fun making them. Dave
                    Originally posted by EdZep View Post
                    That's a pretty cool tool. Nice pitch. Congrats. But, yeah, the text in that video needs work.

Comment

I beg to differ, I bet they'd put you up to the challenge if you contacted them. Try getting into a dead bolted steel door in a concrete frame with a 12#er. You might do some of it, but the lack of accuracy would make it worthless to a SWAT team member when time is everything. Just making some positive comments to a pessamistic post....Dave
                      Originally posted by Fishy Jim View Post
                      "One tool does it all" - but you need two of them to do most of what they were showing.

Nothing in that video couldn't be better accomplished with a 12# maul for far less money or space in the squad car.

Comment

It's not my desig, it's a buddy and his friend's design. It's patented, and so s the holster for it. They have some other stuff in the works too. The head is a custom made, cast and hardened alloy unit. Dave
                        Originally posted by Bert View Post
                        You sold a 100 of them already???!!!! GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!
                        Hope you got a patent on it!
                        All of us are looking for our "break", glad you found yours!!!

Comment

Uh, isn't SWAT supposed to stop violence? How do you think excavators and cranes that use wrecking ***** to destroy buildings are made? They're welded together! Think a little before you post. I just posted this because I was excited about a favor I was able to do for someone because I am a welder and the learning experience it gave(and some side money), did you look over the design and description of the tool, if not the website will be up within the month. This is a multi use tool with 100 different uses, not simply a pry ram. It's designed to eliminate the 60lb of tools a SWAT team must carry with them, now all they need is this 31lb tool with a shoulder harness. But, there is still a bunch of negativity towards something trying to simplify public defense. Oh well. Dave
                          Hate to spoil the party but.....pry-rams are already out there and used by S.W.A.T, Police and military all over the world. I'm not a huge fan of violence so I would have to give it a 1 with my personal opinion being that welding should be used to provide for man not to destroy. Maybe it's just me but that's my 2 cents.

TacMig

Comment

It's not a destructive device in the sense you are portraying it. It's for saving lives and defending the public. It's designed for firefighters who need to break down a door or rip a whole in a roof or pop the hood on a car or break a windshield to save a life, house, car etc. It's designed for SWAT teams needing to save hostages, stop suicidal maniacs, etc.....You probably eat beef and IMHO that would be DESTROYING the cow population. Whaabout all of the extinct animals that were DESTROYED because of your car. That's about as much sense as your posts made. Dave
                            However, I don't (in my opinion) feel that these project boards are a good forum to create and share destructive devices.

TacMig...

Comment

Easy boys....

Originally posted by turbo38t View Post
                              It's not a destructive device in the sense you are portraying it. It's for saving lives and defending the public. It's designed for firefighters who need to break down a door or rip a whole in a roof or pop the hood on a car or break a windshield to save a life, house, car etc. It's designed for SWAT teams needing to save hostages, stop suicidal maniacs, etc.....You probably eat beef and IMHO that would be DESTROYING the cow population. Whaabout all of the extinct animals that were DESTROYED because of your car. That's about as much sense as your posts made. Dave
                              Not sure if you're getting the point. Hence, or rather "I will try and make it a little easier for you". However, just as a side note for what its worth at this point. I think perhaps you guys are getting a tad steamed due to what you have into the tool/weapon/life-saver/windshield-breaker etc., etc. My only point and as I stated IN MY OPINION was that I think a device that may be of more use such as a "welding table, cart, lamp, gate etc." may be of more value to those seeking project ideas. I'm not to sure your video showed a fireman saving anyone nor do I believe I saw it being used to save or rather prevent a suicide. Now I may be wrong and please do correct me if I am mistaken but I think I do remember a guy that looked like he was on some sort of upper smashing windows, doors, walls and prying open a door that once opened failed to show the saving and/or protecting of a life on the other side.

Now don't get all tight in the shorts, that is in no way my intent. I'm sure the welding was A+ along with the overall intent! My point is: I THINK I WOULD RATHER ENJOY BUILDING A NEW SWING SET FOR MY FRIENDS CHILDREN THAN BUILDING A DEMO RAM AND BUSTING OUT SOME WINDOWS. Again this is MY OPINION. Who knows, perhaps the majority of people come here looking for something to bust down doors and smash in windows for their weekend project with the kids?

TacMig

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.