Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

My side gig....thanks for the help!!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Face it!

Originally posted by turbo38t View Post
    Thanks, never claimed it's the best, but the guys that designed it put over 4000 hours into R&D and marketing. Some ideas just don't catch on, but it wasn't even the intent of my post. I appreciate the support, but I was just showcasing a welding project and a bunch of Sally's in here(not you) took it in a tree hugging/hippy type fashion for whatever reason
    Most people won't admit it publicly, but I would venture to say the majority of people have lost respect for our law enforcement in this country as compared to how a cop was thought of, lets say, right after WWII . . . Thats the real source of the flack you are receiving . . . .

As to the product you have been commissioned to build, I would say it is an excellent idea. Although I hope you were savvy enough to have gotten yourself some product liability and/or a legal document excluding you from any responsibility as to it's design or use. The method advocated and demonstrated over and over with the downward arching swing is toward the operators legs is begging for a Workman's comp lawsuit. Having done Workman's comp investigations, I can assure you should this happen, the insurer will make them wish they had never produced that poorly thought out video. I know this sounds "wussy", but everybody has "Lawsuit Lotto" on their mind nowdays. . . .

And please don't hammer me guys with the old "you can't sue for being stupid". If you don't beleive me, go buy a new chainsaw, & the "instruction / safety documentation will weigh more than the saw . . . I just got a new Stihl.. The fricking book weighs 2 pounds . . . . For that matter, instructions and warning are now included with a "HAMMER"

Comment

..................and people wonder why I don't post my work here.

Turbo, looks like you did a great job.

Comment

I don't . . .

Originally posted by DDA52 View Post
        ..................and people wonder why I don't post my work here.

Turbo, looks like you did a great job.
        I don't post mine because my welding is horrible. . . . .

Comment

Like I said, nothin but negative. Apparently you haven't been in too many police cruisers. They have pretty much neccessities to keep an officer safe(and honest). MDT, Camera, rifle(some have a shotgun), snare for animals, cones, flares, fire extinguisher and some first aid stuff. I used to work on them. Sure, some other small things. This tool is designed to ELIMINATE all those money burning tools you mention. Did you read the part where it's supposed to eliminate the 60lb bag filled with tools that a SWAT member carries? Now they would just need this tool and the holster to carry it. That's all, sounds to me like it would be much cheaper than all the other tools they used to carry. One of these per officer is not going to keep a department from hiring another officer. It's a one time expense, not recurring. Oh well, some people may never see the light. Dave (probably had a bad experience in your own business venture at one point in time? Just a guess).
          Originally posted by Fishy Jim View Post
          Mikey, I am not a liberal. I am ex-military, very much anti-crime and will be greeting anyone breaking into my house with a .45 and a very happy trigger finger.

What I don't like is excessive government spending, and I see these boot gimmicks as an encouragement of such. Spending that much money instead of buying a couple extra hammers is what causes officers numbers to be reduced on the streets and less resources to be available to deal with real problems.

To the OP: 4000hrs to develop a heavy claw? Did it really take 4 people 6 months to come up with that?

Comment

Business is good. My shop isn't even done yet and I'm swamped with work.

Last time I talked with a swat team member, they didn't drive cruisers.

I also don't see how you can replace the camera, computer, shotgun, snare for animals, cones, flares, fire extinguisher and some first aid stuff or anything you mentioned with your boot. That's simply a fallacious response to what I said. Now if you wanted to mention all the stuff in the 60lb bag that this is going to replace, I would welcome that as a viable retort.

Please don't insult us by saying this replaces a lock pic set. It replaces a hammer and a step stool at 500x the cost. There's no regard for the property either. A responsible cop who isn't in hot pursuit (is anyone on foot in hot pursuit going to lug a 24# boot out of the trunk first?) would be better off choosing a more specialized tool for the array of uses your customers video depicts.

A shotgun will breech a door with more speed than your boot. And as you mentioned, they already have one in the car and it's not an ongoing expense either.

I think you're more into this thing than you'd like to admit. Did they pay you up front?

Comment

Who agrees????

Who agrees that it's time for this thread to fad away peacefully?

TacMig

Comment

There is a "retired" welder in my town who made a bloody fortune producing specialized products for the jail industry. Every industry has its niche needs, including law enforcement. I say congrats for innovation, imagination and success in introducing and producing a product that is apparently of value to its users! Good job. That's the American way, and I hope you end up building a great business.

Comment

Originally posted by tacmig View Post
                  Who agrees that it's time for this thread to fad away peacefully?

TacMig
                  Posting only bumps it up so you are defeating your own purpose

Comment

Plans

Any chance you will share the plans or drawings . . . ? I had to ask . . . .

:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Wacko Welder View Post
                      Any chance you will share the plans or drawings . . . ? I had to ask . . . .

:-)
                      Not when he's making money with it.

Comment

Turbo...the guys (I use that term very loosely as some probably wear dresses) who are downing the boot have in my eyes zero tactical experience.... I see the boot as a very useful tool...have they tested it pulling doors...I know the hooks most SWAT uses are a one shot deal when pulling doors and window bars etc.....if I was still in uniform I would pass it up the chain of command ( I will look thru my contacts and see who I still know)and I feel it would be a good tool to have in an urban combat environment .
                        Mike

Comment

Uuuuuuuuum!

Originally posted by 84ZMike View Post
                          urban combat environment .
                          Mike
                          Is not a term we really want to hear from our Tax Payer Funded Police . . .

That does not rhyme with To Protect & To Serve @ all . . . .

Comment

If you will re-read that you will see I am referring to the Military......and yes police officers operate in it as well

Comment

Yup, case in point as to why I stay quiet here. Urban combat is a term that the swat and any other rapid response team uses. Whether you like the term or not is irrelavent. They use it daily and it is an accurate description of what they do. The military isn't the only one that uses the term. If they are executing a takedown, it is combat. Plain and simple.

If you don't like the guys work, what it does or how he types......now stay with me because this is difficult.....JUST DON"T SAY ANYTHING AND MOVE ON. There is absolutely no reason to keep after him. Turbo is doing a good thing, making money and helping the police and by extension, any they are helping at the time. Not one thing wrong with any of that. If you don't like it, fine. You were not consulted nor was that a requirement. Get over it and get on with it.

Comment

Here's a pic.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.