Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Idling a Machine

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idling a Machine

Will Idling a Miller Machine have any effect on its lifespan?

I use my Syncrowave 200 as a 115V/15A power source for 2-3 hours a day (not burning some poor unfortunate piece of aluminum) to run grinders, drills, a lathe, and a vacuum. Will this have any negative effect on the life of the machine?

Why don't you unplug it then use that outlet to plug in your vacum/lathe/etc?
    Hee hee....if you're like me, you go back and forth between projects, that's why you do what you do. My personal opinion, would be: yes, wearing down the machine. I'm not sure HOW much of the machine its hurting, but I would guess the motherboard is being used....maybe a miller tech can chime in and say if it does hurt the mb or not...

Comment

Uhhh........Bert We are talking about a 220 machine that has a really big plug

Comment

Being it's a transformer type machine. The transformer is ready to weld all the time the machine is on. Transformers in general loose capacity over their lifetime. That said it will take years maybe decades for the machine to degrade to a noticeable point. We had a HH135 and when it was new it would weld 1/4" plate in a single pass well fifteen years later after being run at full throttle most of the time over heated a few times, it's lucky to weld 1/8" plate in a single pass.
        So best advice is to shut it down when not in use.
        Kerry

Comment

Blackbird

Bert We are talking about a 220 machine that has a really big plug
          Oops, my bad

Comment

If you don't have to turn the welder on to use the 120 outlet, witch I don't think you do, it should not hurt any thing. I never used the 120 outlet on my Sync 250 so I don't know for sure if the welder needs to be switched on to use it.

Comment

burninbriar: You made me go out in the COLD garage and look. The Sync250 outlets aren't hot unless the welder is turned on. And if the x-formers suck electicity as rumored, I'd find another outlet.

Comment

makes sense that you would have to have the machine on, power going in is 220 and the power going out is 110.

Comment

I'm trying to figure out why someone would spend money on electricity to run that Synchrowave when all that is needed in an extension cord

What am I missing here?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbird455 View Post

I use my Syncrowave 200 as a 115V/15A power source for 2-3 hours a day (not burning some poor unfortunate piece of aluminum) to run grinders, drills, a lathe, and a vacuum. Will this have any negative effect on the life of the machine?

You've got alot of wierd answers here, but the end result of this action is no, you will not cause problems with this machine, even if your run off your 115vac 12 hrs a day / 7 days a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbird455 View Post

Well Cruizer gave you the official word. If it was an old school machine with a plain old hr meter it would be making it appear worn out to a buyer.
                      Only YOU know how your shop is set up. I assume the Synch is the only HANDY outlet you have, so you just use it and now you are beginning to worry about what may happen? If you have plenty of outlets then I would think running a lathe and vac on it ALL the time would be a little silly.

I unplug my machines tho when not using them...lightning and fire or whatever is just TOO real for me to sleep easy...anymore I unplug almost EVERYTHING before I leave the shop at night. The roof is a little leaky too and it is on a flood plain. The floor has been covered in water more than once BUT it's a SHOP not a house

Comment

Originally posted by Craig in Denver View Post
                        burninbriar: You made me go out in the COLD garage and look. The Sync250 outlets aren't hot unless the welder is turned on. And if the x-formers suck electicity as rumored, I'd find another outlet.
                        I guess having the outlets go hot when you run the welder and go cold when you turn it off would come in handy when using the outlets to power a water cooler.

Comment

I agree, I would run from a common wall circuit, cant see much reason other than a cooler to run anything from the machine. If you don't have a convenient outlet you need one.

Comment

These work pretty good at the end of an extension cord
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.