Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aircraft Alloys

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blackbird455: ...I think he might have been confused while talking about the alloys, as he usually was confused as to what day it was.
    WOW!! Why you getting personal with ME now??? What did I do to p**s you off!!!!!!!!!!
    400 square feet of Sanford and Son lookin shop space
    You've seen my house???
    Last edited by Bert; 03-18-2008, 03:32 AM. Reason: add to post

Comment

Blackbird455...I'm cool... yea the I'd fly statement sorta had me going, but I say things just to get a response myself and by doing so you started one of the better threads on aluminum for quite awhile...keep it up

I like controversy...boring threads suck

BTW where in the he!! are you???

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbird455 View Post
        FUsionking,
        I can for once delete all the old info that I had from "old guys" that I used to work with. The ones that have been "around for so long". One of the guys that convinced me that you CAN weld it , enlisted in the air force WHEN THE PLANES STILL HAD PROPS, if you know what I mean. I think he might have been confused while talking about the alloys, as he usually was confused as to what day it was.
        Well he was probably right. Like I said before, welding 2024 WAS common in the prop era, but they had facilities to heat treat the parts after, both in construction and repair. There were also methods to anneal 2024 for a short time to work it onto forms and bucks, and it would return to its previous temper after 48 hours or so natrually.

-Aaron

Comment

Yu know I can think of more than one old guy I told was FOS and then realize now that I was....too bad they're dead

Made sure I let my dad know from time to time when I discover just how smart he was...sure makes him feel good...he just turned 80

Comment

Congrats To Your Dad!!!!!!!

Comment

Local museum/shop in the Cincinnati area restores and flies WW 2 warbirds. I heard someone talking about using 2024 and asked about its weldability. I was told that, yes, you don't want to weld it, but it spot welds well. Comments?

Comment

Advertising in Editorial content

Originally posted by Aerometalworker View Post
                How do you know the extent of the HAZ? It could be further then you think. From an engineering perspective, Leaving the part in the "as-welded" condition is useless, unless its spot or seam welding. 2024 is nothing new, its been worked, welded, formed, riveted and tested for over 65 years. If you want to find some interesting reading material, look for military aircraft welding handbooks from the 1950's. They typically cover OA, ARC, TIG, MIG, Laser, Spot, and ultrasonic welding, Steels, aluminums, magnesiums, alloy steels, cast materials etc, and interesting to see what processes they found to work the best on cetain materials etc. No offence to any of the welding equipment companies, but to me it seems like the modern welding books are more of an advertisement anymore, while maybe not directly. Even the newer AWS manuals, ever notice who sits on the board that writes them?

-Aaron
                Amen Brother. Why do you think the Welding Journal is broken into two sections. One for advertisers to write about generalized welding content (can't promote your brand) and the other for grad students to publish their non editorial writings. If you'll notice, most of the editorial in any welding related publication that accepts advertising are not written by staff writers. I'll stick with the ASM Welding book.

Comment

I was under the impression that any aluminum would return to the 0 state in the area of the weld, is that not the case? I have a project comming up that I was going to use 6063 T52, I did all my strength calculations based on the metal in the annealed state.

Originally posted by Aerometalworker View Post
                  Whoever said its not weldable probably oversimplified things a bit as the old books list it as being very weldable but useless in the as-welded condition. Sure you can weld it, but the base metal looses all its strength. The 2xxx series metals are heat treatable ( hence T3, T4 etc ), and most of the time they are used in some form of heat treated state. Welding ( except resistance ) usually leaves part of the HAZ in the "0" condition or close to it. In the old days, 2024 was torch welded, and re-heat treated all the time, so nothing special or new here. Same with Tig is done commonly today. Just welding it though leaves you with a very expensive piece of soft aluminum.
                  So sorry to say, your "new" technology is no better then anything else in this matter .

-Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by FM117 View Post
                    I have some 2024-t4 body panels on a small race car.
                    I have welded some small tabs and such on them over the years
                    for a "quickie" type of repair or temporary mount for something
                    non-critical. All welds looked good and ALL cracked in 4-8
                    hours of running. For me welding on 2024 is just a smaller
                    cleaner version of duct tape!
                    Dave
                    Ductape = 200MPH TAPE

Comment

Originally posted by youfoundtheking View Post
                      I was under the impression that any aluminum would return to the 0 state in the area of the weld, is that not the case?
                      After you weld the aluminum and let it sit, it will age and recover some of its strength, depending on the heat treat and alloy that you started with.

I have a project coming up that II was going to use 6063 T52, I did all my strength calculations based on the metal in the annealed state.
                      This is a reasonable assumption, but it is conservative. Take a look at the attached figure. The graph shows the increase in strength of the heat affected zone as a result of Post-Weld Aging of 6061-T4 and 6061-T6. The Post-Weld Aged 6063-T52 would also increase in strength. You will also see the following:

-If you weld 6061-T6 aluminum the as welded strength (AW) is weaker than the as welded strength of 6061-T4.
                      -After the weldment is Post-Weld Aged (PWA). The 6061-T4 will recover more strength and actually be stronger than the Post-Weld Aged 6061-T6.
                      -For this example the weakest point is 0.5 cm from the fusion zone.
                      -Both the 6061-T6 and the 6061-T4 did get stronger as a result of Post-Weld aging.

From: The Aluminum Association "Welding Aluminum: Theory and Practice" 1991 page 3.14 Volume #23.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Don52; 09-19-2009, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.